The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

I had a falling out with Wrestling in 08/09 and have never seen much from that period. Heard mention of a Jericho/HBK ladder match on an old SCG Radio so I sought it out at weekend. Really enjoyed it. One of the few matches I did see at the time was one of the Jericho/Mysterio series and it appears Jericho was in fine form. He's really good in this which features some of the expected big spots, like the table break, but is well paced and builds to a unique finish.

Love it when you discover something you've not seen.

• Paid Members

Watched the Raws from June 1999 after listening to the latest SCG Radio pod. I think the guys were harsh on the product tbh. The reveal of the Higher Power is still fucking shit and leaves as bad a taste as it did the first time around but they bury it quickly and never mention again, sensibly.

From there, the shows pick up and the 200mph feeling helps you forget you're watching some really average dudes. There's barely a match goes more than two mins and barely a match without interference from one, two, three, four or more people but that just adds to the quickfire nature of it all.

Austin and The Rock are proper superstars. Austin is everywhere and I really like his little run as CEO. Rock isn't sidelined anywhere near as much as portrayed on the pod. The triple threat match where Rock has to beat Trips and Taker is great. Not action packed but a brilliantly stacked deck in front of a crowd pissing themselves over The Rock and willing him to overcome.

The Austin/Taker title match st the end of the month is ace too. Again, not brilliant action - Taker seems fucked - but such a hot atmosphere and mega pops for Austin's stunner and the title change. What you lose binge watching is the feeling at the time of absolutely dying for the next show to come around and spending all week wondering what would happen. That's why shit like the Higher Power hurt.

I still want to see Ken Shamrock vs. Vinny Mac on PPV.

Started to watch the Nitros from the period for comparison. I'm bored shitless after 20 mins. On Raw when they send out Val Venis and Jeff Jarrett or something, you know it's going 90 seconds. Nitro has 3 hours to fill so you get Lenny Lane v Scotty Riggs going 7/8 mins and feeling like 30.

World Champ Kevin Nash driving a sewage truck like fucking Ready To Rumble and spraying it on Savage. He's like a Disney Channel version of Steve Austin. Savage walking around with a bucket for revenge while the commentators try to imply it's shit without saying shit but emphasising SH in random words. Serioisly, as bad as it sounds. So utterly lame.

The shows feel so Russo but Russo isn't there. It's baffling. 

Watched an old NWA Power Hour from 88 yesterday on yt. Apart from Cornette and JR being unbearably shouty to make me want to switch it off, there was an advert in the middle of it for Four Horseman protein pills, the catchy music they used to sell these was The Crimewatch theme tune! This was from yank tv as well as it had all other American adverts on it. 

• Paid Members

I'm just trotting through the Wargames collection on the Network. As @air_raid will attest 1992's edition is where it's at, but the original from 1987 is quite a brutal spectacle.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Porkchopcash said:

Watched an old NWA Power Hour from 88 yesterday on yt. Apart from Cornette and JR being unbearably shouty to make me want to switch it off, there was an advert in the middle of it for Four Horseman protein pills, the catchy music they used to sell these was The Crimewatch theme tune! This was from yank tv as well as it had all other American adverts on it. 

There’s a thread to be made at some point about fake theme tunes. I need to find the one you’ve just mentioned, but that alongside Dusty and the wheel of fortune, there must be more kicking about. I’m not talking about delta video using stock to avoid copyright infringement with ECW VHS, but more hoping there’s the Beverly brothers coming down out to Blind Date.

• Paid Members

Dusty coming to the ring to the old Wheel Of Fortune theme on the Randy Savage DVD is a most memorable one. Big Boss Man coming out to the theme from The Bill would be appropriate.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm just trotting through the Wargames collection on the Network. As @air_raid will attest 1992's edition is where it's at, but the original from 1987 is quite a brutal spectacle.

Do not like this tagging feature one bit.

On 30/10/2017 at 11:00 AM, Egg Shen said:

re-watching Raw from '93. How they ever let Rob Bartlett near the commentary desk is beyond me, he just takes the piss out of everything he's watching.

Yea I didn't like him, if they had clued him in and he was a fan of wrestling then it wouldn't have been so bad. I think they should have just let Bobby take his place from the beginning. Rod used to do a Hulk impression on Imus in the morning according to his wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Bartlett He was a comedian which is why he's trying to get himself over. I think Art Donovan, the former Baltimore Colts defensive tackle, was more unintentionally funny than Rod Bartlett

• Paid Members

The Bobby Heenan Show.. again. It’s amazing how rough he is to those woman at the start, bloody hell. I know the show has been spoken about in detail before, but I can’t remember reading about this, so apologies in advance if it has been discussed.

In 2012 Jamison did an interview and talked about his debut. I found it incredibly interesting to know that Bobby apparently didn’t have a clue about his guests prior to that month moment, for example see the quote below and the link below that for further info.

Everything I ever did with WWF was all improvisational. It was all ad-libbed. Bobby was a master and he made it easy for me. We kind of clicked right from the get-go. They brought me in, Vince (McMahon) did, totally unannounced to Bobby that Jamison wasn't this real guy. They told me they wanted me to come in in-character and interact with Bobby because they were looking for a co-host to the Bobby Heenan Show. From the minute we laid eyes on each other and started going after each other, it was a kind of magic.”

https://prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article10022911.shtml

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• 1 month later...

MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (EMLL 09/23/1983)

Think this is the second time I've watched this well talked about classic but it's been a while since I last saw it. What a fucking war.

MS-I is just the ultimate bastard heel. He attacks Chicana whilst the announcer in the ring is still talking and just sets out kicking the shit out of poor Chicana, who starts to gush blood pretty quickly.

Holy fuck at those punches :eek: Chicana takes such a beating right from the off that a spectator actually wipes the blood off his head. MS-I on the other hand doesn't give a fuck and is just waiting for his next opportunity to attack. Chicana doesn't know where the fuck he is at this point or what's hit him. First fall is quickly over after a frog splash. Trouble is Chicana has to try and survive this onslaught for at least another fall, or two if he wants to win this thing and save his hair.

These punches are fucking brutal and MS-I just dishes them out and keeps stompingon his head.

What a bastard he fully comes across so well as too. Without a care about Chicana. Even the ref tries to hold him back at times but he keeps picking up Chicana and dumping him the ring, before continuing to kick and punch the shit out of him.

Chicana's selling btw is some GOAT level shit btw. Doesn't really need to be said considering the punishment he's taken, but.

Crowd are willing him on but he doesn't know what planet he's on and can't stand up to even try and stop MS-I.

Just realised Chicana's mum is in the audience

Fuck.

Then we get that moment when Chicana finally makes a comeback and it's great. He just starts slapping the shit out of MS-I and one punch knocks him clearout the ring.

Chicana is still trying to fully find his bearings as he's won the second fall as MS-I is now also full of red.

Third fall starts with Chicana throwing some stiff punches right back at MS-I. Both are back in the ring and both are just fucked at this point as they try and gain some sort of control.

Oh have I mentioned;

ALL THE BLOOD HERE

The continuing struggle by both of them is amazing to watch. They're both exhausted from the blood and the sheer amount of punching they've both took. Just trying for a pin attempt takes it out of both of them.

But it's the final fall and someone is losing their hair here.

MS-I seems to find something now though as he starts to mount some serious offense again with more punches and a suplex, but still can't get the win. Both make suicide dives to the outside too here to try and finish each other off. I'm surprised they can see with all that blood on their faces.

Finally Chicana gets the win and it's MS-I and his hair next. Chicana still goes back and gets some more licks in as the barber is out.

What an amazing spectacle. It's violent, veeeeeeery bloody and is something to sit and witness. Epic brawling, punches, sheer desperation by both and a proper sense of holy fuck throughout and both put in incredible performances.

Edited by zep81

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Hulk Still Rules the other night.

Towards the end it showed highlights of Hogan's title win over HHH after interference from Jericho and Taker.

Just a random observation but Chris Jericho epitomized what a midcarder looks like to me with the red highlights in his hair and "rock star" wardrobe.

He looked like a child next to Hogan and HHH.

Took him until 2008 where he could be taken seriously as a main eventer IMO.

Ric Flair vs Ted DiBiase (Mid-South 11/06/1985)

Seriously, go and watch this shit NOW!!!!

It's an utterly tremendous angle. I just love Flair in this setting and he and DiBiase make for such compelling viewing. Just before the match is due to start, Dick Murdoch confronts Ted and tells him he wants to handle Flair instead.

Ted tells him he's yesterdays' news and out of nowhere Murdoch lands on hell of a punch on DiBiase. Trust me when I say it was like a shot of a gun going off. They both start exchanging punches as Flair just watches with his NWA belt around his waist.

Ted eventually kicks Murdoch out the ring and Flair takes this opportunity to blind kick Ted in the back and also out the ring, giving Murdoch the chance to shove Ted's head straight into the ring post and starts kicking him. DiBiase is busted open heavily now.

Oh Flair is still waiting in the ring with his belt on. He gets on the mic and berates Ted and says he's off home. He walks out the ring as DiBiase is being looked after by the officials.

Back from a break and we get a report of how banged up Ted is, but DiBiase is still determined to have the match with Flair no matter what.

Ted DiBiase gives such a great performance throughout this. Standing up to Murdoch, selling the attack, still wanting to fight Flair, and going out and giving it his all in the match. His head is obviously bandaged up but he keeps fighting through it all. He's still all bloodied up and it's certainly a sight to see. They spill to the outside and Flair is giving no quarter and showing no mercy to Ted and it's made all the better when DiBiase makes a comeback and starts stomping on Flair. Ted is so fucked up here, bleeding like a stuffed pig, but he's still hanging in there. A truly wonderful babyface performance. He wants that title soooooooo bad.

Love it when he kicked out of a pin attempt and JR shouts "HE KICKED OUT, HE KICKED OUT". Ross is also really great putting all this over too.

DiBiase is fucking perfect here with his selling. He can't go for a cover after doing a big move as he's just too fucked and he doesn't know where the fuck he is. He's dead and exhausted but is still trying to take it to Flair for that damn title. The ref tries to stop it but Ted waives him off, he just wants to fight. Love the part when DiBiase gives Flair a big powerslam, but can't cover him because he's so out of it. He manages to kneelift Flair and puts him in the FIGURE FOUR ~~~!!!!!!

Super reaction to this and Ross is fantastic on commentary. Flair gets the ropes tho and he pushes Ted over the too rope and onto the floor. DiBiase is out of it totally now and can't stand up and is counted out. Dick Murdoch comes back out and immediately starts attacking Ted again and gives him a

BRAINBUSTER ON THE CONCRETE ~~~~!!!

We come back from a break to see officials tending to DiBiase, who is flat on the floor and can't move.

One of THE great angles/matches. DiBiase is fantastic in all of this and gives one hell of a performance here. Trust me, he's sublime. The angle before and after is tremendous, but the actual match is also great, it tells the perfect story and DiBiase gives one of the great babyface performances.

Ric is great. Ted is great. JR is great. Murdoch is great.

Seriously, go watch this. Once again, God bless Mid South.

Edited by zep81