The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

That match is like a time capsule. Couple of people thrown out who I didn't even recognise. Several I forgot existed. More, like Sin Cara, who I can barely believe have been around for SIX years. That's the distance between Steve Austin's "Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass" speech and him going home rather than job to Brock Lesnar. All these people who have done literally nothing in all that time.

Mahal was second runner-up and still came across as a jobber. Took until 14 mins to even spot him. Then Booker T outright says "I can't believe Jinder Mahal is still in this match". Funny.

Sting vs Hulk Hogan (Superbrawl 8)

Fuck off again, Hulk. Still couldn't job clean to Sting's finisher and he still insisted on most of the offense. The first 6 or 7 minutes was all Hogan. Better than Starrcade? Well yeah, but only by default. The whole mishandling of all this is sad tbh.

Watching through Starrcade 87 at lunchtimes. Enjoyed the Midnights/Rock n Roll scaffold match (not the one where Cornette falls, which surprised me!). Sting teaming with the Freebirds was bizarre. Koloff/Taylor and Williams/Windham were dull as dishwater, especially Windham/Williams which had an awful ending as well. Last match I watched so far was Arn and Tully v the Road Warriors, which was the infamous "did you really do that swerve finish in Chicago??" match. Dusty v Luger and Flair v Garvin to go. Not seen any of this show before, and Garvin/Flair is something I've always meant to get around to see, so looking forward to the rest of this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I watched Beach Blast 92 last night and overall thought it was a pretty good show that I had never watched all through before. 

The Light Heavyweight Title match between Brian Pillman and Scotty Flamingo was a very good opener, the 30 minute Iron man match with Rude and Steamboat was fantastic and Sting and Cactus had a brawl that had me cringing like fuck at a lot of the bumps Foley took on the concrete. Watching him back theae days is pretty uncomfortable when we know the shape he is in now.

There was a lot of stuff on the PPV, like all WCW PPV's that really wasn't good enough for PPV though. Ron simmons vs Terry Taylor and Marcus Bagwell vs Greg Valentine say hello. 

Then you had the middle of the road stuff: Austin, Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton against Dustin Rhodes, Nikita Koloff and Barry Windham had the makings of a barn burner, and was really starting to get going when the shit DQ for going off the top rope kicked in. Then the main event of The Steiners defending against Dr. Death and Terry Gordy had a decent closing stretch but the finish of a draw, for the end of a PPV, was a damp squib for me. I imagine it went on last because it was the only other title match on the show apart from Pillman's defence against Flamingo, and if it was going to go thirty minutes then they probably didn't want to put it on before a match advertised for thirty, but in hindsight, Steamboat and Rude would have been a better note to end on.

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

I'm not sure why it wasn't for the title, I think I missed the explanation if there was one. It not going on last maybe was due to an angle that happened later in the show where Cactus attacked Steamboat when he was being interviewed by Bischoff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched episode 108 of Smokey Mountain Wrestling on the Network. 

It was the show where The Thrillseekers (Chris Jericho and Lance Storm) signed with them. Mostly highlights and promos apart from the TV Title "Beat The Champ" match at the end. 

Tammy Fytch took some getting used to hearing though, that used to hearing Sytch. 

Just watched Souled Out 98. Ugh. 

The lead up to it as well after Starrcade 97 is just the drizzles. Giant/Nash stuff with the lawyers is abysmal, Flair/Hart just sad.

Plus that botched powerbomb from Nash. Jesus Christ. Hogan afterwards saying "I taught him that move" erm sorry what?

The only bright note is Jericho finally turning heel and Raven/Benoit bits.

WCW turned shit very quickly didn't it 

Edited by SuperBacon
Tiredness

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The only bright note is Jericho finally turning heel and Raven/Benoit bits.

Bret and Flair is great, both the build and the match. It drew pretty well too. Not sure what you meant by "sad" but the way they almost punished both guys for daring to be great by completely abandoning them afterwards definitely is sad.

Personally for me I didn't like the build. I just found Bret very uncomfortable and looked lost every time he appeared, just out of sorts. I guess that's more what I meant. The match itself was fine, but it just made me sad to see him looking like that.

I also thought they could've give him something a bit fresher to start off with? 

• Paid Members

I guess in an ideal world Bret would've come straight in and feuded with Hogan and the NWO right off the bat. That'd be the logical thing to do given the momentum he was coming in with off the whole Montreal thing. 

But you know, WCW. The timing was a bit off to do Bret vs Hogan straight away, I guess, because he came in right at the time Sting stopped moping about in the rafters and they were finally doing Sting vs Hogan. But there was nothing to stop them having Bret do something with Nash and Hall when he first came in, leading to the big match with Hulk. I liked the Flair match but doing that as Bret's first thing in WCW just seemed like a waste and didn't really make sense after the way they built up him coming in with Rude's promo the day after the screwjob and stuff like that. To then have him paired with Flair was like taking a hot coal and chucking it into a bucket of ice. Just felt like it killed his buzz for me at the time. 

Although saying all that, Hogan might not have wanted to work Bret, brother. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Nothing to stop them doing something against Nash and Hall, other than Hall and Nash saying "nah, don't feel like doing that and you can't tell otherwise because creative control".

And no way was Hogan ever going to do anything with Bret when he first came in. As you said, the timing was one thing as they had spent so long building Hogan/Sting. With the exception of doing the job for Goldberg in summer of 98, Hogan was at his cunty worst because he was untouchable

• Paid Members

Yeah, there were plenty of reasons Bret couldn't have gone straight in against Hogan, but surely the whole point of a stable like the nWo is to hold off on the face getting to the big villain for a while anyway? There's no reason Bret couldn't have worked his way through the rest of the nWo en route to a big match with Hogan, from a booking standpoint, but when you consider the real people and situations involved, it makes more sense.

Bret/Flair is an excellent match IMO. The build up to it is simple but effective too. Flair in particular cuts some pretty great promos, even quoting the WON in one promo.

I still love the Lucha opener to Souled Out too.

Edited by zep81