The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

WCW Nitro July 5th 1999. It's from the georgia Dome and has a pretty impressive crowd on hand. As you can imagine, WCW shit all over them.

On the positive side, it's got Bret Hart's first promo after Owen died which is a tough but interesting watch. The rest though, ugh.

David Flair is handed the US Title. As horrible as it is, I ended up genuinely feeling sorry for him. He walks out later for a match with Bagwell in his old man's robe with the title looking about as comfortable as a lad hearing about his Nana's sex life. Then he strips down to some shiny PVC shorts. He looks like he should be on Eurotrash.

There's a kickboxing match between Flynn and the Cat that the crowd booed the shit out of. Van Hammer v Lodi lasts fucking ages. Piper takes ten years to get out for a promo. A decent opener is ruined by Sid and Savage coming out and kicking the shit out of them both before we get a rambling Sid promo. The main event is the usual horrible mess with more fake Sting stuff all over. Then then truly hideous finale as Savage the wife beater finds Gorgeous George and Torrie Wilson and slaps and kicks them.

Apart from being 18 segments too short, this felt every bit a Russo show. Needless bad language, terrible finishes, daft skits (Eddie Guerrero trying to identify a theif amongst the masked wrestlers anyone?). Just horrendous.

@Liam O'Rourke When's the next timeline?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Got the notes completed yesterday amigo, it may be as soon as two weeks (WrestleKingdom review coming next....). It's uhh...not WCW's finest month. Just as a preview, I believe I counted seven ref bumps on the July 12th Nitro.

I'm just watching that one. I skipped Bash at the Beach (for my sins, I've seen it before) but as an adendum to my "Russo show" comment, BATB features the Junkyard Battle Royal (which was announced by Sandman only 6 days earlier) and the World Title being switched in a TAG TEAM match. If Russo wasn't directly booking this, he was sending in ideas by email.

• Awards Moderator

I’m going through the 100 Greatest Raw moments on the Network and have got up to the original dumpster angle where the Outlaws push Funk and Foley off the stage. I’d seen the resulting Mania match before but not the initial angle in full. It’s great stuff - was surprising to me to see how long they stuck with the aftermath on the show.

• Paid Members

It really was a fantastic angle. I remember watching it at the time and competely bought into Cactus and Chainsaw potentially being dead as a pair of dodo's. In my memory, it was one of the most enduring Raw angle's ever. It always seems to come to my mind if I think of any of those four guys.

Out of interest, what position did the network place it on the list HG?

• Awards Moderator
31 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

It really was a fantastic angle. I remember watching it at the time and competely bought into Cactus and Chainsaw potentially being dead as a pair of dodo's. In my memory, it was one of the most enduring Raw angle's ever. It always seems to come to my mind if I think of any of those four guys.

It was pretty low down, 91 or 92 I think. Positioned between Paige’s debut and the Stephanie/Brie Bella arrest angle.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, WeeAl said:

It was a great angle but I always thought they downplayed it by them running in at the end. They put all that brilliant emphasis on the angle and heat on the Outlaws and then didn't sell it beyond the hour. Sign of the times though.

Terry Funk vs Bruiser Brody (AJPW 12/07/1982)

Terry fucking Funk.

My God his selling his match is off the charts great as is a performance to behold. I havnt really watched much of Brody, but he's just killing Funk in the first half of the match and Funk is just tremendous working from underneath and trying to survive the sheer onslaught. Brody pounds on him, throws him around and just brutalizes poor Terry.

Brody is kicking the shit out of Funk, who ends up being busted open and bleeding like a stuck pig. I can't underestimate enough how great Funk is at his selling here. Brody nails him with a chair and judt won't let up. He keeps bouncing off the ropes and kicking Funk right in the head.

Funk doesn't know what him or where the fuck he is. His ear is bleeding heavily and Brody is still kicking him to death. This has been a complete mauling by Brody and Funk's selling and even his bump off a simple dropkick is great.

Brody hits a fantastic piledriver for two count. Funk starts swinging while holding his ear. Funk eventually manages to make a come back by low blowing Brody. He takes over by grabbing Brody's head and rams his head into the post, breaks a table over his back and starts punching him. All this of course busts Brody wide open too.

Crowd is going crazy at this point, then Stan Hansen turns up. He just kinda observes at first, tjen eventually he steps in and then Dory shows up for kicks. Funk starts hurling chairs in the ring like a madman :done 

Brody getting Dory to stop punching him by pulling his t-shirt over his head and Dory continuing to swing wildly even though he can't see fuck all ~~~~~!!!! Wonderful

Man I enjoyed this. Funk put on an incredible selling display here and his performance in this match would rank as one of his best in that regard. His selling and bumping were so spot on and made Brody look like even more of a fucking monster. His comeback was great and even though it was a cluster ending, it was so entertaining it didn't matter. Maybe Brody could have sold better in the match though, he had his moments, but another bump or two would have made it better. But this was all about the funker.

It's one hell of a sight seeing Funk bleeding so much from his ear here, esp when he's making his come back. His whole left side of his face is crimson red and he's literally a bloody mess.

Yeah, Terry fucking Funk.

Edited by zep81

Okay, I know this is overkill in every way, but since I have a lot of free time at the start of this year I decided to watch and explore wrestling from all over. Trying out a few subscription services and whatever archives are out there to see what's going on in the world. This week I watched a ton of US, Japanese and Mexican wrestling and this was how the experience was. Almost a flashback from the days when I used to do those PUNQ's Guide to Japanese Wrestling threads back in 2006 to 2010. While I watched "too much" (if there is such a thing), the variety helps make it more enjoyable. Hell, even WWE became easier to watch because it so different to the rest of the wrestling world. So this is what became available last week at the various services.

Top-20 Matches Week 1, 2018

1. January 4, 2018 - Kenny Omega (c) -vs- Chris Jericho - (IWGP US Title) [**** 1/2] (NJPW)
2. January 4, 2018 - Kazuchika Okada (c) -vs- Tetsuya Naito - (IWGP Title) [**** 1/4] (NJPW)
3. January 4, 2018 - Marty Scurrl (c) -vs- Will Ospreay -vs- KUSHIDA -vs- Hiromu Takahashi - (IWGP Junior Title; 4-Way) [****] (NJPW)
4. January 4, 2018 - Kota Ibushi -vs- Cody [****] (NJPW)
5. January 5, 2018 - Jiro Kuroshio -vs- Konosuke Takeshita - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block A) [*** 3/4] (DDT)

6. January 4, 2018 - SHO & YOH (c) -vs- Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson - (IWGP Junior Tag Title) [*** 3/4] (NJPW)
7. January 5, 2018 - Shuji Ishikawa -vs- Mike Bailey - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [*** 1/2] (DDT)
8. January 6, 2018 - Niebla Roja -vs- Gran Guerrero [*** 1/2] (CMLL)
9. January 6, 2018 - Titán & Pegasso -vs- Virus & Raziel [*** 1/4] (CMLL)
10. January 6, 2018 - Sansón & Cuatrero & Forastero -vs- Guerrero Maya Jr. & Drone & Esfinge [*** 1/4] (CMLL)

11. January 4, 2018 - Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) -vs- "King of Darkness" EVIL & SANADA - (IWGP Tag Title) [*** 1/4] (NJPW)
12. December 9, 2017 - El Hijo del Fantasma & Pagano & Psycho Clown -vs- Averno & Chessman & El Texano Jr. [*** 1/4] (AAA)
13. January 4, 2018 - Minoru Suzuki (c) -vs- Hirooki Goto - (NEVER Openweight Title; Hair vs Title; No Seconds Death Match) [***] (NJPW)
14. January 6, 2018 - Soberano Jr. -vs- Rey Cometa [***] (CMLL)
15. January 6, 2018 - Último Guerrero & Valiente -vs- Cavernario & Volador Jr. [***] (CMLL)

16. January 6, 2018 - Flyer & Audaz & Magia Blanca -vs- Yago & El Coyote & Templario [** 3/4] (CMLL)
17. January 1, 2018 - Roman Reigns (c) -vs- Samoa Joe - (WWE Intercontinental Title) [** 3/4] (WWE)
18. January 1, 2018 - Negro Casas -vs- Sam Adonis - (Hair vs Hair) [** 3/4] (CMLL)
19. January 3, 2018 - HARASHIMA & Kazusada Higuchi & Jiro Kuroshio -vs- Konosuke Takeshita & Shuji Ishikawa & Mike Bailey [** 1/2] (DDT)
20. January 5, 2018 - Yukio Sakaguchi -vs- Kazusada Higuchi - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [** 1/2] (DDT)

WWE Universe

WWE - "Monday Night RAW/Main Event" - January 1, 2018, Miami, Florida, USA - (3 hrs)
January 1, 2018, Miami, Florida, USA - American Airlines Arena
Main Event #274
1. Dana Brooke -vs- Mickie James [3/4*]
2. Akira Tozawa -vs- Tony Nese [* 1/4]
Monday Night RAW #1284
3. Jason Jordan -vs- Cesaro [** 1/4]
4. Bray Wyatt -vs- Apollo Crews [* 1/4]
5. Asuka -vs- Alexa Bliss [* 1/2]
6. Braun Strowman -vs- Rhyno [3/4*]
7. Roman Reigns (c) -vs- Samoa Joe - (WWE Intercontinental Title) [** 3/4]
8. Goldust & Cedric Alexander -vs- Ariya Daivari & Drew Gulak [*]
9. Finn Balor & Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows -vs- Elias & Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel [* 1/4]

Raw has become a lot more watchable since they started doing longer matches a few weeks back. While not all the guys are "big match" guys, they gain a lot of ring experience and they put more effort into the lay-out for the matches, which is more to my appeal as talk is cheap, especially WWE style talking. I'm getting into Jordan's cocky persona and Reigns/Joe had a real good TV bout.

WWE - "SmackDown Live/205 Live" - January 2, 2018, Orlando, Florida, USA - (2 1/2 hrs)
January 2, 2018, Orlando, Florida, USA - Amway Center
SmackDown Live #959
1. Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso (c) -vs- Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin - (WWE SmackDown Tag Title) [**]
2. Xavier Woods -vs- Aiden English - (WWE United States Title Tournament - Round 1) [* 1/2]
3. Ruby Riott & Liv Morgan & Sarah Logan -vs- Natalya & Tamina & Carmella [*]
4. Sami Zayn -vs- AJ Styles [* 3/4]
205 Live #58
5. TJP -vs- Akira Tozawa [* 1/2]
6. Goldust & Cedric Alexander -vs- Ariya Daivari & Drew Gulak [* 1/4]

SmackDown on the other hand continues to be a rocky road. Not a major fan of the Shane McMahon stuff, and I feel they're bringing the wrestlers down with them. But of course this was Aiden English Day! So it was nto all bad. Good tag title bout, even with the screwy mess that concluded it.

WWE - "NXT #281" - Novemebr 17, 2017, San Antonio, Texas, USA - (1/2 hr)
November 17, 2017, San Antonio, Texas, USA - Aztec Theatre
1. Drew McIntyre (c) -vs- Adam Cole - (NXT Title) [** 1/4]
*Special Referee: Shawn Michaels

The NXT show was mostly a recap of 2017 show, but they did have this special exlusive. Shawn Michaels as guest referee for the Drew/Cole title match! Good fun, but perhaps more shenanigans than excitement in that one.

IMPACT

IMPACT - Air Date: January 4, 2018 - (1 1/2 hrs)
November 9, 2017, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - Aberdeen Pavilion
1. Trevor Lee (c) -vs- Taiji Ishimori - (Impact X-Division Title) [**]
2. Ethan Carter III (c) -vs- Fallah Bahh -vs- Matt Sydal - (IMPACT Grand Title; 3-Rounds) [* 1/2]
3. Dan Lambert -vs- James Storm - (Career vs Career) [1/4*]
4. Chandler Park -vs- Jon Bolen [1/4*]
WrestlePro - December 9, 2017, Rahway, New Jersey, USA - Rahway Rec Center
5. Eli Drake (c) -vs- Alberto El Patron - (Impact Global Title) [**]
November 9, 2017, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - Aberdeen Pavilion
6. Dave Crist & Jake Crist (c) -vs- Ortiz & Santana - (Impact Tag Title) [** 1/4]

Impact was back after two weeks of "2017 in review" repeats. Of course they're still stuck with the TV tapings from November. This had a real anti-climatic exit for James Storm and totally uninteresting Park brother debut, but oVe had their best Impact match since first appearing for the company and the bout where Ishimori won the X-Division Title finally aired. About time as Ishimori has already defended the belt in Japan weeks ago. Plus as part of their extended partnership with other promotions we got a Drake/Alberto title match from New Jersey's WrestlePro.

NJPW

NJPW - "BIG PRO-WRESTLING FESTIVAL 2018" - January 3, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (1 hr)
January 3, 2018, Tokyo - Differ Ariake (1,700 Fans)
1. Tiger Mask & Ren Narita -vs- Jushin Thunder Liger & Tetsuhiro Yagi [* 1/2]
2. Satoshi Kojima & Katsuya Kitamura -vs- Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Tomoyuki Oka [* 3/4]
3. Yuji Nagata & Hirai Kawato -vs- Manabu Nakanishi & Shota Umino [* 1/2]

Part of the build-up to the Dome festival where they annually book the least interesting matches they possibly can. Better than last year's pre-Dome show, much due to eager rookies working hard.

NJPW - "WRESTLE KINGDOM 12 IN TOKYO DOME" - January 4, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (6 hrs)
January 4, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Tokyo Dome (34,995 Fans)
1. 21-Man New Japan Rumble [** 1/2]
2. SHO & YOH (c) -vs- Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson - (IWGP Junior Tag Title) [*** 3/4]
3. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) -vs- Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Beretta -vs- Togi Makabe & Juice Robinson & Ryusuke Taguchi -vs- Takashi Iizuka & Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi -vs- Michael Elgin & Raymond Rowe & Hanson - (NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Title; Gauntlet Match) [** 1/2]
4. Kota Ibushi -vs- Cody [****]
5. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) -vs- "King of Darkness" EVIL & SANADA - (IWGP Tag Title) [*** 1/4]
6. Minoru Suzuki (c) -vs- Hirooki Goto - (NEVER Openweight Title; Hair vs Title; No Seconds Death Match) [***]
7. Marty Scurrl (c) -vs- Will Ospreay -vs- KUSHIDA -vs- Hiromu Takahashi - (IWGP Junior Title; 4-Way) [****]
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) -vs- Jay White - (IWGP Intercontinental Title; No-DQ) [** 1/4]
9. Kenny Omega (c) -vs- Chris Jericho - (IWGP US Title) [**** 1/2]
10. Kazuchika Okada (c) -vs- Tetsuya Naito - (IWGP Title) [**** 1/4]

Amazing show! Probable the best we'll see in 2018. Exhausting too, as New Japan gave every match time to shine. That's what we get for complaining that New Japan undercarfd matches are pointless. Here they had all types of styles getting epic level ring-time, and it sure delivered in a big way! And hats off to Jericho proving how good of a ring general he can be when motivated. I'm one of the few that preferred the result of the main event. Naito doesn't need the title, he's popular in spite of the belt, and Okada is still a executive level main eventer who's still got milage at the gate. 

NJPW - "NEW YEAR DASH" - January 5, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (3 hrs)
January 5, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,737 Fans)
1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi -vs- Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino & Tetsuhiro Yagi & Ren Narita [* 1/2]
2. Takashi Iizuka & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi & El Desperado & Taka Michinoku -vs- Togi Makabe & Toa Henare & Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask & Hirai Kawato [**]
3. Jay White -vs- Katsuya Kitamura - (Katsuya Kitmura 7 Match Trial Series #1) [* 3/4]
4. Kenny Omega & Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson -vs- SHO & YOH & Cheeseburger [**]
5. Cody & Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens & Marty Scurll & Leo Tonga -vs- Kota Ibushi & Juice Robinson & David Finlay & KUSHIDA & Ryusuke Taguchi [**]
6. Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Beretta (c) -vs- Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa - (NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Title) [** 1/4]
7. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr. & Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. -vs- Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michel Elgin & Raymond Rowe & Hanson [** 1/4]
8. Tetsuya Naito & "King of Darkness" EVIL & SANADA & BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi -vs- Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay & Gedo [** 1/2]

Fun "Raw after Mania" show, but it was a clear nachspiel atmosphere in the ring where everybody could breath safely and relax from the pressure of the successful Dome show. So the matches weren't anything special. Instead it was teh angles time to come. Naito vs Jericho, yes please! Omega vs White... meh, but let's hope White can do better than against Tanahashi.

DDT Universe

DDT - “NEW YEAR’S SPECIAL! 2018” - January 3, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (3 hrs)
January 3, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,187 Fans)
1. Hoshitango & Rekka -vs- Mizuki Watase & Daiki Shimomura [* 1/4]
2. Akito -vs- Yuki Ueno [* 3/4]
3. KUDO & Yukio Sakaguchi & Saki Akai -vs- Toru Owashi & Kazuki Hirata & Veda Scott - (Infomercial Match – “LADY NINJA: A Blue Shadow” Movie) [*]
4. 10-Man New Year Kakizome Rumble [*]
5. Soma Takao -vs- Masahiro Takanashi [* 1/2]
6. Makoto Oishi & Shunma Katsumata & MAO -vs- Danshoku Dino & Brahman Shu & Brahman Kei [1/2*]
7. Daisuke Sasaki & Tetsuya Endo -vs- Colt Cabana & Antonio Honda [**]
8. HARASHIMA & Kazusada Higuchi & Jiro Kuroshio -vs- Konosuke Takeshita & Shuji Ishikawa & Mike Bailey [** 1/2]

First show of the year had a sick Dino 6-man! Bring a bucket to puke in if you're going to watch that one. The main event was good, but only a warm-up for the D-oh tournament. Antonio Honda & Colt Cabana teaming brought a few laughs as well.

TOKYO JOSHI PRO - “TOKYO JOSHI PRO ’18” - January 4, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - (3 hrs)
January 4, 2018, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,201 Fans)
1. Miu & Hinano -vs- Raku & Hikari - (Miu, Hinano, Raku & Hikari Debut Match) [1/2*]
2. Yuu & Nodoka-oneesan & Marika Kobashi -vs- Rika Tatsumi & Hyper Misao & Yuki Kamifuku [*]
3. Veda Scott -vs- Maho Kurone [3/4*]
4. Danshoku Dino -vs- Maki Ito [* 1/2]
5. Saki-sama & Azusa Christie -vs- Nonoko & Yuna Manase [*]
6. Yuka Sakazaki & Shoko Nakajima (c) -vs- Riho & Mizuki - (TOKYO Princess Tag Title) [**]
7. Reika Saiki (c) -vs- Miyu Yamashita - (TOKYO Princess Of Princess Title) [** 1/4]

First time I see a TJP show. Not overly impressed so far, but there are a few characters that caught my eye. The last two matches were good and the kissy Dino/Ito bout is one some will love.

DDT - "D-OH GRAND PRIX 2018 IN SHINJUKU" - January 5, 2017, Tokyo - (2 1/2 hrs)
January 5, 2017, Tokyo - Shinjuku FACE (464 Fans)
1. Joey Ryan & Veda Scott -vs- Soma Takao & Antonio Honda -vs- KUDO & Toru Owashi -vs- Makoto Oishi & Shunma Katsumata - (4-Way) [* 1/2]
2. Yukio Sakaguchi -vs- Kazusada Higuchi - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [** 1/2]
3. Tetsuya Endo -vs- Masahiro Takanashi - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block A) [**]
4. Akito -vs- Daisuke Sasaki - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [** 1/4]
5. Keisuke Ishii -vs- HARASHIMA - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block A) [** 1/2]
6. Shuji Ishikawa -vs- Mike Bailey - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [*** 1/2]
7. Jiro Kuroshio -vs- Konosuke Takeshita - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block A) [*** 3/4]

Then for the start of January's highlight for DDT. The D-Oh Grand Prix opening day, which was much better than the bigger Korakuen Hall show a couple of days earlier. Especially look out for Ishikawa/Bailey and Takeshita/Ikemen! Both excellent, especially considering it's from a indy platform.

TOKYO JOSHI PRO - “LET’S GO! GO! IF YOU GO! WHEN YOU GO! IF YOU GET LOST JUST GO TO OSAKA!” - January 7, 2018, Osaka - (2 1/4 hrs)
January 7, 2018, Osaka Hirano Community Hall (397 Fans)
1. Miu & Raku -vs- Hikari & Hinano [3/4*]
2. Yuka Sakazaki -vs- Nodoka-oneesan [1/2*]
3. Shoko Nakajima -vs- Hyper Misao - (Drinking Games Rules) [*]
4. Rika Tatsumi & Maho Kurone & Mizuki -vs- Nonoko & Yuna Manase & Yuki Kamifuku [* 1/4]
5. Saki-sama & Azusa Christie -vs- Yuu & Marika Kobashi [* 1/2]
6. Miyu Yamashita (c) -vs- Veda Scott - (TOKYO Princess Of Princess Title) [* 3/4]

TJP, along with the rest of the DDT Universe, goes off to Osaka for a few days. Not a very attractive card except the curio of Veda Scott challenging for the TJP Title.

DDT "D-OH GRAND PRIX 2018 IN OSAKA 2DAYS - DAY 1" - January 7, 2018, Osaka, Japan - (3 hrs)
January 7, 2018, Osaka Hirano Kumin Hall (438 Fans)
1. Shunma Katsumata & MAO & Veda Scott -vs- Danshoku Dino & Kazuki Hirata & Yuki Ueno [3/4*]
2. Keisuke Ishii -vs- Toru Owashi -vs- Naomi Yoshimura -vs- Kouki Iwasaki - (4-Way) [*]
3. Kazusada Higuchi -vs- Soma Takao - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [** 1/4]
4. HARASHIMA -vs- Joey Ryan - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block A) [**]
5. Mike Bailey -vs- Akito - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [** 1/2]
6. Jiro Kuroshio -vs- Masahiro Takanashi - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block A) [** 1/4]
7. Yukio Sakaguchi -vs- Daisuke Sasaki - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block B) [**]
8. Konosuke Takeshita -vs- Tetsuya Endo - (D-Oh Grand Prix - Block A) [** 1/4]

The second day of the D-Oh Grand Prix wasn't as good as the first day, but it was constantly solid and worth your time. Takeshita/Endo continue to do epic style wrestling, but I felt Bailey/Akito got the most out of their fight.

STARDOM

STARDOM - "NEW YEAR STARS 2018 - DAY 1" - January 3, 2018, Tokyo - (1 3/4 hrs) 
January 3, 2018, Tokyo - Shin-Kiba 1st RING (445 Fans)
1. Shiki Shibusawa -vs- Hanan -vs- Ruaka - (3-Way) [*]
2. Kaori Yoneyama -vs- Hiromi Mimura [* 1/2]
3. Xia Brookside & Miranda -vs- Konami & Starlight Kid [* 3/4]
4. Kay Lee Ray & Nicole Savoy & Rachael Ellering -vs- Mari Apache & Jungle Kyona & Natsuko Tora [**]
5. Io Shirai & AZM & HZK & Momo Watanabe -vs- Kagetsu & Hana Kimura & Kris Wolf & Sumire Natsu [**]

One show was loaded-up on Stardom World, their first of the years from a packed Shin-kiba. More of a "Road to..." Korakuen Hall on January 21st where the main event sets up a 5 vs 5 match. It was most interesting to see all the foreigners, many who was a part of th Mae Young Classics last year.

The RealHero Archive

3 shows uploaded last week, all from last year. We have to wait a few weeks for the New Years shows from Z-1, W-1, AJPW, BJW, etc...

K-DOJO - "TOKYO BIG SHOW" - December 17, 2017, Tokyo - (1 1/2 hrs)
December 17, 2017, Tokyo - Shin-Kiba 1st RING (165 Fans)
1. Kotaro Yoshino & Dinosaur Takuma & Bambi -vs- Ricky Fuji & Daigoro Kashiwa & Yoshihiro Horaguchi [*]
2. Shiori Asahi -vs- Ayame Sasamura [3/4*]
3. Kunio Toshima & Kyu Mogami -vs- GO Asakawa & Yuma [* 1/4]
4. Massimo & Marines Mask -vs- Tank Nagai & Ayumu Honda [*]
5. Daisuke Sasaki (c) -vs- Taka Michinoku - (Independent Junior Title) [* 1/2]
6. Taishi Takizawa (c) -vs- Kaji Tomato - (STRONGEST-K Title) [* 3/4]

Kaientai Dojo's not so Tokyo Big Show. Too much how K-Dojo is. Taking a page out of modern Taka Michinoku work ethic. No fire, some smarts, but mostly nothing at all.

WRESTLE-1 - "WRESTLE-1 WINTER FESTIVAL 2017" - December 23, 2017, Tokyo, Japan - (1 1/4 hrs)
December 23, 2017, Tokyo, Japan - WRESTLE-1 Dojo (240 Fans)
1. Hajime -vs- Takumi Baba [1/2*]
2. Ganseki Tanaka -vs- Jun Tonsho [3/4*]
3. Daiki Inaba & Takanori Ito -vs- Jiro Kuroshio & Tsugataka Sato [**]
4. 8-Man Royal Rumble [*]

W-1's last show of 2017 was just a small dojo show. Only for the real hardcore W-1 fans with one fun match and 3 very forgettable ones.

TOSHIKOSHI PRO-WRESTLING 2017 "TOSHIWASURE! SHUFFLE TAG TOURNAMENT" - Decemebr 31, 2017, Tokyo, Japan - (5 hrs)
Decemebr 31, 2017, Tokyo, Japan - Korakuen Hall (1,411 Fans)
1. Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazusada Higuchi -vs- Ryota Hama & Takao Soma - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block A - Round 1) [* 1/4]
2. Kazuki Hashimoto & Akito -vs- Kota Sekifuda & Ryota Nakatsu - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block B - Round 1) [* 1/2]
3. Daisuke Sasaki & Brahman Kei -vs- Antonio Honda & Takuya Nomura - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block C - Round 1) [3/4*]
4. Danshoku Dino & Daichi Hashimoto -vs- Keisuke Ishii & Zangief Ueki (Takayuki Ueki) - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block D - Round 1) [*]
5. HARASHIMA & Yuko Miyamoto -vs- Yukio Sakaguchi & Yuya Aoki - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block E - Round 1) [*]
6. Isami Kodaka & Yoshihisa Uto -vs- Masahiro Takanashi & Tatsuhiko Yoshino - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block F - Round 1) [* 1/2]
7. Abdullah Kobayashi & Colt "Boom Boom" Cabana -vs- Minoru Fujita & Shunma Katsumata - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block G - Round 1) [1/2*]
8. Hideki Suzuki & Konosuke Takeshita -vs- Great Kojika & Tetsuya Endo - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Block H - Round 1) [* 1/4]
9. Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazusada Higuchi -vs- Kazuki Hashimoto & Akito - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Round 2) [*]
10. Daisuke Sasaki & Brahman Kei -vs- Danshoku Dino & Daichi Hashimoto - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Round 2) [3/4*]
11. HARASHIMA & Yuko Miyamoto -vs- Isami Kodaka & Yoshihisa Uto - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Round 2) [**]
12. Brody the Hideki (Hideki Suzuki) & Jimmy Takeshidata (Konosuke Takeshita) -vs- Abdullah Kobayashi & Colt "Boom Boom" Cabana - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Round 2) [1/2*]
13. Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazusada Higuchi -vs- HARASHIMA & Yuko Miyamoto - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Semi-Final) [**]
14. Brody the Hideki & Jimmy Takeshidata -vs- Daisuke Sasaki & Brahman Kei - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Semi-Final) [* 1/4]
15. Kotaro Yoshino & Dinosaur Takuma & Kazumi Kikuta & MAO -vs- Taka Michinoku & Dick Togo & Ryuji Ito & Sanshiro Takagi - (Taka Michinoku 25th Anniversary Match) [* 1/2]
16. Hideki Suzuki & Konosuke Takeshita -vs- Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazusada Higuchi - (Shuffle Tag Tournament - Final) [** 1/4]

The annual New Years indy show with BJW/DDT. A real party, but not exactly a show which brings the snowflakes regardless of being entertaining. It's a tradition, and a highly watchable one at that.

CMLL

CMLL - "Lunes Arena Mexico" - January 1, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - (2 1/2 hrs)
January 1, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - Arena Mexico
1. Eléctrico & Último Dragóncito -vs- Mercurio & Pequeño Olímpico [* 3/4]
2. Starman & Oro Jr. & Star Jr. -vs- Raziel & Cancerbero & El Hijo del Signo [** 1/4]
3. Blue Panther Jr. & The Panther & Pegasso -vs- Virus & Nitro & Sagrado [**]
4. Mr. Niebla & Shocker & Vangellys -vs- Titán & Drone & Esfinge [* 1/2]
5. Valiente & Ángel de Oro & Niebla Roja -vs- Sansón & Cuatrero & Forastero [**]
6. Negro Casas -vs- Sam Adonis - (Hair vs Hair) [** 3/4]

CMLL open the year with a ordinary show with a special treat. A hair match between Casas/Adonis! That one was fun. Only wish it had lasted longer for the drama to sink in.

CMLL - "Martes Arena Mexico" - January 2, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - (2 hrs)
January 2, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - Arena Mexico
1. Fantasy & Shockercito -vs- Pequeño Nitro & Pierrothito [* 1/2]
2. Starman & Astral & Robin -vs- Nitro & Cancerbero & Hijo del Signo [*]
3. Dalys & La Metálica & Tiffany -vs- Princesa Sugehit & La Jarochita & Maligna [* 1/2]
4. The Panther -vs- Tritón - (Lightning Match) [** 1/2]
5. Stuka Jr. & Guerrero Maya Jr. & Soberano Jr. -vs- Mr. Niebla & Felino & Sagrado [** 1/4]
6. Carístico & Ángel de Oro & Niebla Roja -vs- Sansón & Cuatrero & Forastero [**]

Day 2 brought a standard show. Dull undercard, a unlucky Lighting Match where Triton knocked himself out on a corkscrew moonsault after a firey pace and rushed main events. 

CMLL - "Sabados Arena Mexico" - January 6, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - (2 1/2 hrs)
January 6, 2018, Mexico City, Mexico - Arena Mexico
1. Flyer & Audaz & Magia Blanca -vs- Yago & El Coyote & Templario [** 3/4]
2. Titán & Pegasso -vs- Virus & Raziel [*** 1/4]
3. Soberano Jr. -vs- Rey Cometa [***]
4. Sansón & Cuatrero & Forastero -vs- Guerrero Maya Jr. & Drone & Esfinge [*** 1/4]
5. Niebla Roja -vs- Gran Guerrero [*** 1/2]
6. Último Guerrero & Valiente -vs- Cavernario & Volador Jr. [***]

But for their Saturday show (no Friday show) they did something big. A rematch special of last years most hyped matches. And it was great show top-to-bottom! Only beat by New Japan's Tokyo Dome show! A good way to start your lucha year.

AAA

AAA - December 9, 2017, Ciudad de Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico - (1/2 hr)
December 9, 2017, Ciudad de Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico - Gimnasio Olímpico Juan de la Barrera
1. El Hijo del Fantasma & Pagano & Psycho Clown -vs- Averno & Chessman & El Texano Jr. [*** 1/4]

AAA have been doing Best of 2017 recap shows for a few weeks, and it was mostly that this week too, with the exception of this benefit show match-up where the AAA put their working shoes on and entertained the fans to finance a school struck by the earthquake in September.

Lucha Libre Independents

IWRG - January 1, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1 1/2 hrs)
January 1, 2018, Naucalpan de Juarez, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - Arena Naucalpan
1. Cadillac -vs- Chicanito -vs- Diablo Jr. I -vs- Dragon Bane -vs- Fulgor II -vs- Guerrero 2000 -vs- Motocross -vs- Ram El Carnero -vs- Lunatik Extreme -vs- X-Corpio - (Lucha De Apuesta Mask vs Hair; Cage) [* 1/2]
2. Aramis -vs- Alas de Acero -vs- Black Dragon -vs- Dinamic Black -vs- Emperador Azteca -vs- Fly Warrior -vs- Freelance -vs- Septimo Rayo - (Reyes Del Aire; Cage) [**]
3. Chico Che -vs- Obett - (Hair vs Hair; Cage) [* 1/2]
4. Trauma I & Trauma II -vs- Capo Del Norte & Capo Del Sur -vs- Danny Casas & Veneno -vs- Rokambole Jr. & Villano V Jr. - (Cage) [* 1/4]
5. Imposible (c) -vs- Dr. Cerebro - (IWRG Rey Del Ring Title; Ladder; Cage) [* 3/4]

My first IWRG show. I saw someon call IWRG both the best and worst promotion of 2017, which tells you all you need really. Seems to be a creative group for both joys and frustration. Their first show of 2018 was a all-cage show of various rules. Pretty chaotic for someone not used to their product. The main event however is a MUST! The brawling wasn't bad, but the WCW level booking and cock-ups made it more awkward fun. Rules first. Cage battle until 10 minutes when a Ladder was brough in. You then had to take down the belt hanging over the ring before you had to climb out of the cage with the belt. Corny. And to make it worse, the champion Imposible had it won, but managed to lose the belt back in the ring as he was going over the cage, so he had to climb back in and climb back out again for the anti-climax! I think I might enjoy this 

Invasion Indy - January 1, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1/2 hrs)
January 1, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - Arena Neza
1. Alan Extreme -vs- Bizarro -vs- Flama Roja -vs- Motocross -vs- Oro Negro -vs- Yoruba -vs- Vampiro Metalico -vs- Guerrero Mixtico - (Hair vs Hair; Cage) [*]
2. Rey Wagner & El Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. -vs- Mr. Electro & Sharlie Rockstar [**]

I decided to try out of a few independent lucha companies. On this one Dr. Wagner Jr (aka Rey Wagner) ruled the ringw. Not that there was much else to report from the limited hand-held footage from this one.

Promociones TSW - January 1, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de Mexico, Mexico - (1 hr)
January 1, 2018, Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Estado de Mexico, Mexico
1. Toro Negro Jr. -vs- Heddi Karaoui [* 1/4]
2. Black Warrior -vs- Toxin [* 3/4]
3. Oro Jr. & Starman -vs- Lokillus & Yoruba [** 1/4]
4. Golden Magic -vs- El Sagrado [* 1/2]
5. Blue Panther Jr. & The Panther -vs- Ciclon Ramirez Jr. & Emperador Azteca [** 1/2]
6. Bandido -vs- Niebla Roja [** 1/4]

This one was interesting. A CMLL vs TSW inter-promotional show! The big leagues against a local promotion. Some of the matches were brutally out-matched, but there still was a lot of curiosity value in those matches. 

FULL - January 5, 2018, Explanada de la Delegacion, Cuauhtémoc, Distrito Federal, Mexico - (3/4 hrs)
January 5, 2018, Explanada de la Delegacion, Cuauhtémoc, Distrito Federal, Mexico
1. La Parkita & Máscarita Sagrada -vs- Mini Cibernetico & Pequeño Warrior [* 1/2]
2. Ángel Del Amor & Reyna Dorada & Saru -vs- Hip Hop Man & Quimera & Ryder [* 1/2]
3. Hijo de Máscara Año 2000 & Luzbel & Psicosis II -vs- Hijo de Máscara Sagrada & Máximo & Oriental [**]
4. Penta Zero M & Tinieblas Jr -vs- Pirata Morgan & Hijo del Pirata Morgan [** 1/4]

For the intrigue of watching a lucha show outdoors in the dark. Pretty cool main event with the help of the mini mascot!

• Paid Members
On 07/01/2018 at 7:54 AM, tiger_rick said:

It was a great angle but I always thought they downplayed it by them running in at the end. They put all that brilliant emphasis on the angle and heat on the Outlaws and then didn't sell it beyond the hour. Sign of the times though.

This fucked that for me. For years I'd seen that segment and thought how good it was. Then when I went back and actually watched the shows in full rather than that as a clip on some tape or dvd and to see them running down the ramp in hospital gowns with an IV at the end of the hour it flushed it away for me. 

Jerry Lawler vs King Kong Bundy (Memphis 07/16/1984) $10,000 Challenge Match.

The stip here is that Jimmy Hart has offered Lawler a $1000 for every minute he can survive Bundy in the ring, up to ten minutes. So Jerry has the opportunity to earn a cool $10,000 In total.

The challenge makes for a super fun match as Bundy obviously has to crush Lawler as quickly as he can to save Jimmy some money and Jerry has to do his best to survive if he wants the maximum payout.

Lawler sells like crazy for the first few minutes or so with Bundy dishing out a beatdown on him. Two minutes in and I'm already praising his selling. Lawler really was a master at it. Bundy even stomps on and kicks Lawler's crown out the ring :D

Love Bundy getting pissed off at every failed cover as he knows as every minute passes, Lawler is getting more money and of course Jerry is only too aware of this. Bundy decimates Lawler as he's desperately trying to finish this quickly, but Jerry keeps kicking out. Bundy shows more frustration when the ring announcer shouts "One minute has passed". Just to further rub it in.

Jimmy Hart is running a cross the apron screaming at Bundy to finish him because it's his money he's put up.

Lawler starts fucking around on the outside, stalling for time and it just made perfect sense: the longer Lawler's in the match, the more money he makes. So he's obviously going to be dodging Bundy as much as he can to earn as much as he can. 

Eventually Bundy and Hart trap Lawler. Bundy beats up Jerry some more before Lawler drops the strap.

Fuck yeah.

He starts punching the shit out of Bundy and actually knocks him down. Rick Rude looks to make a run in, but Lawler heads him off and this allows but this allows Hart to throw a chain to Bundy, who clocks Lawler with it and to win the match at just shy of 7 minutes.

In fact, it was like 3 seconds shy of 7 minutes so they just about saved Hart another $1000 there lol.

Super fun match. Lawler was great, bumping and selling and playing up to the stip perfectly. As was Bundy. He tried to destroy Lawler as quickly as he could, but when he couldn't, he was great as showing the frustration and beating up Lawler all the more.

More great stiff from Memphis.