The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

The Shield's debut v Team Hell No & Ryback at TLC 2012

Phenomenal stuff, everybody is over and looks good, even Kane. Relentless action, the Shield were the tits. This or Nakamura V Zayn for best debut

Now watching Spring Stampede 1994, some really good stuff here but what in the FUCK was Ventura playing at with that hair

He seems to have shaved everything but a ponytail

Phenomenal stuff, everybody is over and looks good, even Kane. Relentless action, the Shield were the tits. This or Nakamura V Zayn for best debut

Now watching Spring Stampede 1994, some really good stuff here but what in the FUCK was Ventura playing at with that hair

That brawl with Cactus and Maxx versus the Nasties was insane. That shovel shot from Sags to end it made a sick, sick sound

I watched Clash of the Champions 24 from August 1993 yesterday. It's remembered best for the show where The Shockmaster fell through a wall but the best thing on the show is Paul Orndorff. He was so good throughout 1993, having really excellent matches and generating awesome heel heat. His match with Ricky Steamboat on this show is a real under-the-radar gem, a really simple, basic match with a wonderful demonstration of how to do escalating near falls without going overboard.

I had also forgotten how bad The Equalizer was. His interactions with Road Warrior Hawk were just absolutely awful.

I'm part way through Great American Bash '96, and the Sullivan/Benoit match is amazing!

Its not a big deal now, but I presume at the time that brawling around the arena was a shocking thing to do? (I'm guessing off of some of the OTT reactions on commentary).

The best line has to be "I never thought as an announcer Id ever have to say:' He's going to put his head in the commode' " . Dusty losing his shit over, not the match, but a women being in men's toilets is also hilarious.

Baring the above, the match itself is pretty good. Quality hardcore match.

That brawl with Cactus and Maxx versus the Nasties was insane. That shovel shot from Sags to end it made a sick, sick sound

Aye, looked like Foleys ear was fairly fresh off in that match

Oh My Goodness!! it's Mini Vader and Mini Mankind vs Mini Goldust and Mascarita Sagrada Jr who became Max Mini.

But first there are shots of the governor of New Jersey being gifted something by a gimmicked up Undertaker as thanks for abolishing some tax bill that lets the WWF put shows on in the state.

Goldust isn't actually a mini it seems but what looks like an actual child, Vader looks just like the real deal even down to shaved head and Mankind aint too bad either. A solid little match with Sagrada pulling of some super crisp moves that would put the 205 guys to shame. Jim Ross shills the superstar line with a story about someone being strip searched.. "was it Sunny?" "You're close!"

Who was it..?

Edited by Merzbow

• 2 weeks later...

...WWE 24 Dallas. Only thing ive watched similar is the behind the scenes doc they did at Mania 19 (which was included as an extra in the Mania 20 dvd)- and the Mania 19 doc was much better in my opinion.

The Charlotte bits were very well done, wow, that girl is literally doing everything in WWE for her brother and anything to do with her was very powerful. The Ryder stuff meh, Triple H stuff we have seen before, i enjoyed the Styles stuff. Bit of a let down all in all.

Also, i watched the chamber match from 03 and im not saying anything that hasnt been said before on here but fuck me, from the momemt Goldberg enters upto the point they ruin it with the sledgehammer is up there with the best bits of WWE of all time for me. The different look Goldberg gives everytime he eliminates somebody is epic. With the highlight being the stare he gives HHH as he is lining up a spear on Jericho is beautiful, as if he is saying "this is you this is!". Brilliant.

• Paid Members

...WWE 24 Dallas. Only thing ive watched similar is the behind the scenes doc they did at Mania 19 (which was included as an extra in the Mania 20 dvd)- and the Mania 19 doc was much better in my opinion.

I've not seen the Dallas one, but the similar docs they did for Mania 30 and 31 are well worth a look. 

I've recently been doing what I call "Birthday Raw" starting in 1993 and going through the RAW on or closest to my birthday year by year. I don't get that much time to watch so it's taking it's time. 

Some things I can remember so far

12/4/93 - Absolute shite not even in the Manhatten center and I had to watch Friar Ferguson's debut. 

11/4/94- Again RAW was often nothing here it seems, interesting to see them do a phone in gimmick for the main event between the Quebecers and MOM highlight was watching The beginning of the Kings Court where Lawler gets dumped out of his carry chair by Gillberg, Dlo and 2 other jobbers. Not sure if that was an angle or a rib or a genuine accident. Lawler sold it well though and Vince laughs his head off, these days I think he would blow a gasket

10/4/1995 - On my birthday and the main event was fun but still a basic pre 1997 RAW with nothing much of note. Really noticing the post Wrestlemania season was quite dry before monthly PPV's became a thing. I'm guessing house shows were/ had been the money back then so RAWs were slow burning until the next TV feud is ready

4/8/1996 - This was the first show that was building up to a close by PPV and the show feels so much better for it. HBK Vs Michaels was fun to main event and I really enjoyed how hammy Ahmed Johnson Vs Bulldog in an arm wrestling match was. Also of note was the Yokozuna Vs Vader match with the forklift at the end.  I also never realized the RAW stage logo didn't come along until 1995/1996.

7/4/1997- Entertaining but a gap fill show between bigger event surrounding the Hart Foundation, luckily this was the show before that awful one with matches from Kuwait and South Africa filmed in half darkness. What on earth were they thinking showing that shitty fan cam footage for almost a two hour show. Really enjoyed watching the start of Shamrock here and he came across as a big player at the start. 

13/4/1998 - Inconic match/ angle that turned the tide in the Monday night war as they often say. I didn't actually enjoy this show in fact i'd say even though 1998 had better production etc it hasn't aged as well as 1997 in my opinion. Watching the feud between Owen Hart and DX I now am unsure when Owen became the heel because he was very unlikeable here however as I only ever watched Unforgiven from around this time in depth I always thought he was a straight face until after that match.

12/4/1999 - Actually this gave me a headache, there is so much going on, at this time matches were poor. Test and Triple H Vs X pac and Kane feels bizzare with where the storylines went. Lots of ministry stuff and a foreshadowing of the corporate ministry. I have never actually watched any Raw's from this time either and now I finally understand how the events between Mania 15 and Backlash unfolded, the answer fucking quickly. Watch those two PPV's alone and think about the storyline progress in a few weeks. Then watch the Raw's and it will make your eyes roll like a fruit machine. 

10/4/2000- This is just great fun to watch, everything is so well run here and makes sense. It's a shame the APA were not made bigger players from the help they gave the Rock. His promo with Vince was interesting too with Vince saying he would've made a great Bastion Booger and other wrestlecrap from around the time the Rock started. I can't recall much talk of the past at that time so it was interesting to see it mentioned. 

9/4/2001- I'm running out of time but I will say things changed a lot in a year, subtle things like peopl's acts the lighting and camera work that I never noticed before. Made the show feel less cool. however another entertaining show with Austin still being booed before his heel act got more blurred.

I have a class now so no conclusion just thought i'd share some thoughts. 

I've recently been doing what I call "Birthday Raw" starting in 1993 and going through the RAW on or closest to my birthday year by year. I don't get that much time to watch so it's taking it's time. 

Love this idea.

I actually had a birthday Wrestlemania.... X-8. Sure, it was technically after I'd gone to bed... hell technically was the 18th March in the UK. But in Canada, it was still my 12th birthday!