The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

I watched a match between Rob Van Dam and Kikuchi from All Japan 1996. Such a fun match. Kikuchi getting frustrated by Van Dam. Some wonderful little moments (I particularly liked Van Dam whipping Kikuchi into the guardrail, and Kikuchi acting as if he was just bouncing off the ring rope and hitting RVD with an elbow smash!).

Well worth digging out for a watch (if you know of the All Japan Google Drive collection, it's on there)

Stan Hansen versus Steve Williams - All Japan Champion Carnival 1994

Disappointing match, maybe as I was expected a Stan Hansen/Vader Clash of the Titans battle. Instead Hansen pummels Doc for the first 10 minutes, cutting him straight off every time he tries to fight back. During this period of he career Doc looks good when he's against the smaller Japanese guys who make him look like a million bucks, but Hansen sells virtually nothing not even when going face first into the ring post on the outside. Even when Doc does manage his big comeback there's no real fire, and Hansen takes the win with the lariat not long after.

WWF at MSG Jan 91. Roma v Douglas kicks it off, starts off a good match then slows right down, Roma bearhugs him for a while! Theyre meant to be high flyers, ends up with a shit, shit finish. Ref fooks it right up. Tito v Koko is a decent match, two goodies, koko plays the baddie more. LOD beat Demolition in a couple of minutes. Bossman v Hercules and Savage v Warrior in a cage. Snuka v Taker as well. Very good card for the time. Sherri is the best female valet ever. Ends up in her undergarments.

Edited by Porkchopcash

Watched the Wrestlemania Rewind on the Savage v Dibiase match at Wrestlemania IV. Hadn't watched this documentary in a while. It was nothing mindblowing, but the doc and match are perfectly ok. I do enjoy Jesse as the 'voice of reason' in the company "That's a tainted victory - it's disgusting that Hogan would resort to that".

I always found it odd that in the world of the WWF Hogan was constantly using cheap tactics if not outright cheating, and the heel commentators would be calling him out for it.

• Paid Members

AJ Styles Vs Abyss from Lockdown 2005. Styles does some great work here, sliding under the guardrail for that springboard, the flying squirrel out of the crowd, selling that cage door like a champ. He takes more than his fair share of beatings as well. Fantastic contest. He's got the proper entrance music as well. I had it as the alarm on my phone for a while, alternated with Edge's Alter Bridge music.

AJ Styles Vs Abyss from Lockdown 2005. Styles does some great work here, sliding under the guardrail for that springboard, the flying squirrel out of the crowd, selling that cage door like a champ. He takes more than his fair share of beatings as well. Fantastic contest. He's got the proper entrance music as well. I had it as the alarm on my phone for a while, alternated with Edge's Alter Bridge music.

The lyrics to that Styles song are so fucking shit:

Wooaaaaaaaah

Everyday in my life

I let the inside show through the outside

I'm tryin' to do my best to past the test

And show respect to the other guy   (what the shit?)

I let'em know I never run away

Learn to fly and you'll be on your way

With my heads in the clouds and a smile on my face

I am alive and I'm seconds away (I'm pretty sure this is referencing him being about to cum)

You are, you are

I am, I am

You are, you are

I am, I am

When I fight, it's not evil

Just like bein' Evil Kinevel

I just to the left and I roll to the right

Just tryin' to win the belt every night (This may be objectively the worst verse in anything ever)

You are, you are

I am, I am

You are, you are

I am, I am

I am, I am

Wooaaaaaaaah, ohh

I am, I am

When I fight, it's not evil

Just like bein' Evil Kinevel

I just to the left and I roll to the right

Just tryin' to win the belt every night (And they sing it twice!)

You are, you are

I am, I am

You are, you are

I am, I am

You are, you are

I am, I am

You are, you are

I am, I am

I am, I am

I am, I am

Wooaaaaaaaah, ohh

I am, I am

I am, I am

• Paid Members

It's hardly Blackbird by the Beatles, but it's got a catchy chorus and was much better than My World by Jarrett and the selection of "Please don't sue us" knock-offs everybody else had. Dale Oliver was so worried about not incurring the wrath of Jimmy Hart for ripping off Self High Five that he just completely missed the point and did a middling instrumental version of Teen Spirit instead in the hope nobody would realise.

• Paid Members

With Goldberg back tonight I thought I'd go through the early parts of the collection again on the Network in anticipation. It's incredible how much worse the match with Mongo at Starrcade was compared to his debut in September with Hugh Morrus. McMichael really was a sack of shit in the ring, microphone, commentary, anywhere really. Stole a living off WCW for years though, so fair play to him.

Watched an episode of NJPW DX on Dailymotion - it's a weird documentary 'challenge' type thing (well, this episode is).

Basically, Naito and Honma go go-karting (for far too long!), then play some sort of electronic full-size version of Pong-meets-dancedancerevolution, and then Honma shows how bad he is at table tennis!

It is what it is. Next episode they do more challenges. Not sure I could endure more..