The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

41 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I’d given up on WCW by then, excusing whenever Bret was on. The number of turns between Uncensored and Road Wild turned me off completely. Losing track of who was on who’s side between Nash, Sid, DDP, Flair, Hogan, Sting, Savage etc and spotting lads on each other’s team that had cost each other the World title the month before was almost a weekly occurrence.

The tourney for the WCW title that finished at mayhem is the worst tournament i've ever seen. And i've watched KOTR 95. Even the final was a let down as, suprise suprise, it had run in's and ref bumps. Oh thats one thing i forgot in my original post. I confidently predict that 80% + of matches i watched included a run in, ref bump, no contest or a "swerve". clean finishes obviously banned in 1999 for both the big two.

That's a good point. Going through 1998 in particular, WWF was riddled w DQ and count out finishes. How they ever won the war I'll never know. It actually goes tto show how poor nitro had become by that point. I can't watch the weeklies from 1998 because it's a shit show of non finishes. Ergh. 

As for my viewing... NJPW Strong episode 1. They really should have waited until they could have fans in as thee whole thing fell flat. But it is what it is in 2020. 

• Paid Members

watched two matches from Summerslam 2005 - The Custody of Dominick match, and Shawn Michaels vs. Hulk Hogan.

Rey and Eddie were absolute magic together every time - they're both superb anyway, and I'm not sure Eddie ever had a truly bad match, but they brought out the best in each other. That comes across here, and Eddie is really a master of adding intensity in the little details most people wouldn't notice - there's a point where he hits the Three Amigos in this match, where he does it at twice the speed he normally would, so rather than dwelling on the "showing off" aspect and extenuating the hip rolls, it's just three short, hard snaps, and feels really vicious. Same move as always, but just that change of pace adds so much extra heat. In general, a ladder match isn't the kind of match that feels particularly heated these days, but this one feels genuinely full of anger and intensity, even with a daft stipulation and run-ins from a literal child and Eddie's (then pretty much unknown) wife. There are some nasty looking fuck-ups - a couple of near misses on Sunset Flip Bombs from the ladder, and Rey really nastily landing back-first across a ladder at one point - the blame of which can be placed squarely, I feel, on Rey wearing a slippery pleather bodysuit. Not ideal.

Michaels vs. Hogan is, of course, brilliant. I forgot that it main evented, and still find it typical of WWE that it was an exercise in trying to convince people that Michaels and Hogan were at equivalent levels of stardom, rather than Michaels being a guy who means a lot to the company but diddly squat in the grand scheme of things. 

Obviously everyone remembers Shawn's incredible overselling, but what struck me on this watch was how much of what he's doing is designed to purposefully throw off Hogan's timing as well. He bumps from the first of what's clearly intended to be a sequence of punches. He bumps to the floor in the middle of Hogan's shine, just generally stopping him ever getting any real momentum going.
There's a spot on the outside where Hogan gets knocked into the ringpost, and it's clearly where he's supposed to blade, but Michaels is just right back on him. They do it at least once more and, again, Michaels grabs him in a headlock and starts punching him, and Hulk has to awkwardly push him away. For a couple of minutes, every time Hogan has an opening where he could do the bladejob, Michaels stops him, until eventually the ref has to drag Shawn away to make some space, after they've collapsed together after a ten-punch in the corner. It completely robs Hogan of the full dramatic potential of his usual slow reveal of the bloodied face, while also shifting the cause of the blood from the ringpost to Shawn's punches. A real textbook example of how to fuck with someone while giving enough plausible deniability to still plead ignorance. An unprofessional shitshow, but it's toward Hogan in a WWE main event, so it's hilarious. 

• Paid Members
On 8/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, BomberPat said:

Even though very little of the show was involved in blowing off feuds or even really continuing storylines, it all felt like it had purpose.

Different times innit. You didn’t blow off your feuds on PPV because you still wanted the house shows to all sell out getting the matches they weren’t seeing on TV, just the angles and interviews that built them. If the show happened today they’d have done Savage v DiBiase for the belt and Hogan v Andre as a double main event, Jake vs Rick Rude, probably blown off the Harts vs Rougeaus and spunked away the first Demolition vs Powers of Pain match. The first few SummerSlams are chock full of matches where people are wrestling people who aren’t their real feud, and they’ll fight their real feud on opposite teams at Survivors but you never saw the singles match on PPV. Dusty fighting Honky Tonk Man at SummerSlam 89 while wearing the hat he stole from Boss Man instead of actually fighting Boss Man, or Warrior fucking around tagging with Hogan at SummerSlam 91 instead of fighting Jake or the Undertaker are great examples. Even when the Harts took the tag belts from Demolition at SummerSlam 90 they’d already starting building for Demolition Vs LOD for the road, titles were incidental. Speaking of Demolition, they’d definitely have wrestled Tully & Arn at SummerSlam 89 if it was held in today’s climate.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching WCW Saturday Nights episodically for a while now and find them great background viewing. Always loved WCW in 92 with Superbrawl 2 one of my all time favourite ppvs so nice to see the TV leading upto the ppvs. 

Dropped on an absolutely belting tag title match on the October 3rd 1992 episode between Steve Williams/Terry Gordy and Barry Windham/Dustin Rhodes, goes almost 30 mins and is a hidden gem (unless everyone else knew about it) that I would highly recommend to any fans of early 90s WCW tag action

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, NavigatorFan said:

I've been watching WCW Saturday Nights episodically for a while now and find them great background viewing. Always loved WCW in 92 with Superbrawl 2 one of my all time favourite ppvs so nice to see the TV leading upto the ppvs. 

Dropped on an absolutely belting tag title match on the October 3rd 1992 episode between Steve Williams/Terry Gordy and Barry Windham/Dustin Rhodes, goes almost 30 mins and is a hidden gem (unless everyone else knew about it) that I would highly recommend to any fans of early 90s WCW tag action

I'm watching 92 WCW as well at the moment and generally love it. I'm half way through Clash 19 at the moment which is a bit of a let down to be honest. 

• Paid Members

1 hour ago, NavigatorFan said:

Saturday Night’s full of gems like that. Stuff like Great Muta vs Brad Armstrong and Barry Windham vs Arn Anderson 2/3 Falls. Most weeks in 92 and 93 there seemed to be at least one really good match.

Speaking of Saturday Night, is it still just the 92/93 episodes on the Network? Anyone heard of any plans to add the earlier/later stuff? Still no Worldwide either last time I had it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

2 hours ago, ElCece said:

I'm watching 92 WCW as well at the moment and generally love it. I'm half way through Clash 19 at the moment which is a bit of a let down to be honest. 

I thought it definitely picked up after Clash 19. I'm well into the build for Halloween Havoc 92, which I don't think I have ever seen despite remembering considering to buy it dozens of times back in the day. The fact I've never seen it makes me think it wasn't such a highly rated show but from watching the build up to it I'm really looking forward to it! 

54 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Speaking of Saturday Night, is it still just the 92/93 episodes on the Network? Anyone heard of any plans to add the earlier/later stuff? Still no Worldwide either last time I had it. 

Yes still just 92 and part of 93....i haven't heard anything but I'm really hoping they add more before I run out 

• 1 month later...

Just watched The Mortician on the Fedwork. 

Another excellent documentary piece, this time on Paul Bearer. Some great bits of archival footage and some nice recent interviews with people like 'Taker, Prichard, Kane etc. 

Honestly, I couldn't give two shits about them uploading about 80 hours of indie wrestling a week and the classic content uploads can be hit or miss, but their documentary stuff is always fantastic and it (along with the archives of older stuff I watch every now and again) will keep me a subscriber for a good while yet. 

2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Just watched The Mortician on the Fedwork. 

Another excellent documentary piece, this time on Paul Bearer. Some great bits of archival footage and some nice recent interviews with people like 'Taker, Prichard, Kane etc. 

Honestly, I couldn't give two shits about them uploading about 80 hours of indie wrestling a week and the classic content uploads can be hit or miss, but their documentary stuff is always fantastic and it (along with the archives of older stuff I watch every now and again) will keep me a subscriber for a good while yet. 

Same. I've enjoyed pretty much all their documentaries. It's fascinating to see some of the stuff they come up with, especially older things you thought you'd never see.

Bearer seemed like a right laugh to work with. I bet Taker loved it over the years.

I watched Survivor Series 95 the other day and was compelled to seek out some Jerry Lawler versus Undertaker matches because that's just a great clash of styles and characters. 

Turns out they only had one proper singles match in WWE, which was a Casket Match from 1994. 

It's on the He Buries Them Alive Coliseum Home Video release and is on the Network. 

Not great or anything, pretty standard dark match fare but it made me want to see a longer televised match between the pair. Shame that never happened.