The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

In Your House Final Four Main Event

Maybe seen it once since the actual event and what an absolute belter it is.

Everyone has their working boots on, the whole set up to the match is great, Vader bleeds a little beaut, just bloody great. I don't particularly like Undertaker, but him against Bret is always excellent.

Only bad thing was the crowd was a little bit shit, and only got enthused in the final stretch of the match. 

Next night on Raw is wicked too. God I loved 1997.

14 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

In Your House Final Four Main Event

Maybe seen it once since the actual event and what an absolute belter it is.

Everyone has their working boots on, the whole set up to the match is great, Vader bleeds a little beaut, just bloody great. I don't particularly like Undertaker, but him against Bret is always excellent.

Only bad thing was the crowd was a little bit shit, and only got enthused in the final stretch of the match. 

Next night on Raw is wicked too. God I loved 1997.

To be fair the crowd being shit until the final stretch has been a thing in loads of matches for about 25 years, presumably that's why ladder matches take less and less time to get the ladder involved and why no one really bothers after one finisher in a main event

Ever since everyone realised the rough format of most types of matches it kills any enthusiasm for the large part of many matches 

Still, agree completely on Final Four, belting match

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

SummerSlam 94. Obviously, the Bret vs Owen cage match was phenomenal and that’s what made me revisit the show. As well as the wrestlecrap Taker vs Taker main event.

Got to say though, I enjoyed the fuck out of Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano. Completely forgot about their matches and didn’t recall much of anything about them but this was great fun. Think they had a match or two on Raw as well around this same time, didn’t they? So I’ll have to check them out now too.

As I often do watching back old shows, I end up spending half the time Googling wrestlers who pop up that I forgot about. And Bull Nakano was one I’ve never heard or read much at all about other than her brief WWF stint and even briefer stay in WCW. I’m sure it’s been common knowledge on here but, as someone who’s been out of the loop on pretty much anything post-2010 or so, I was a bit taken aback to see how different Nakano looks these days.

From;

B5864A1B-AC69-4989-8BEA-EE17870661D0.gif

To;

FF5-BE894-8-ABC-4461-BFDB-2-F2-C774-AF72

I suppose losing the face paint, electrified hair and a couple of stone in weight will change how you look. Don’t know what I expected but she looks like a completely different person.

But yeah, great little match. I think I’m going to have to look for their other matches. I recall liking that women’s elimination match at Survivor Series 95 as well with Aja Kong spinning backfisting the shite out of everyone, so I think I’ll give that a watch over the weekend too. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Bull deliberatley bulked up to become the monster she portayed. Even at her largest, she always looked remarkably in proportion. She dropped the weight years ago. Always had a great smile too, even under all the face paint.

I had these Alundra Blayze matches already listed, if it's any help:

[20.03.94, WWF Women’s Title]: Alundra Blayze v Leilani Kai
[07.05.94, WWF Women’s Title]: Alundra Blayze v Bull Nakano
[01.08.94]: Alundra Blayze v Bull Nakano
[29.08.94, WWF Women’s Title]: Alundra Blayze (c) v Bull Nakano
[26.09.94]: Alundra Blayze / Heidi Lee Morgan v Bull Nakano / Luna Vachon
[20.11.94, WWF Women’s Title]: Alundra Blayze v Bull Nakano (Tokyo Dome)
[03.04.95, WWF Women’s Title]: Alundra Blayze v Bull Nakano (c)
[27.08.95, WWF Women’s Title]: Alundra Blayze (c) v Bertha Faye
[23.10.95, WWF Women’s Title]: Alundra Blayze v Bertha Faye (c)
[19.11.95, Elimination Match]: Alundra Blayze / Chaparrita ASARI / Sakie Hasegawa / Kyoko Inoue v Aja Kong / Bertha Faye / Lioness Asuka / Tomoko Watanabe
[20.11.95]: Alundra Blayze / Kyoko Inoue v Aja Kong / Tomoko Watanabe

*Fairly sure one of those matches was hand-held footage from Japan. That and 20.11.94 aside, all the rest took place in the U.S.

WCW

[10.08.96, Battle of the Bikes]: Madusa v Bull Nakano
[04.11.96]: Madusa v Reina Jubuki w/ Sonny Onoo & Zero  (Jubuki is Hokuto doing her Mexican gimmick & Zero is Chigusa Nagayo)
[29.12.96, WCW Women’s Title]: Madusa v Akira Hokuto
[09.02.97]: Madusa / Meiko Satomura v KAORU / Akira Hokuto
[06.04.97, WCW Women’s Title]: Madusa v Akira Hokuto (c)
[15.06.97, WCW Women’s Title ~ Title vs. Career]: Madusa v Akira Hokuto (c)

Edited by KingofSports

Watched Razor Ramon vs Crush from WWF All American earlier today on Youtube. Not a bad little match, Crush kicked out of the Razor's Edge, though Ramon stalled for a few seconds before going for the cover. Ended with a shitty double count out though, match was a few weeks before KOTR 93.

• Paid Members

This clip just popped up again in my recommendations on YouTube. Kevin Nash and his beef with Matt Borne.

I know @Devon Malcolm mentioned in his WrestleWar 92 review and I did in mine a while back as well, about Jesse Ventura ripping into Borne on commentary during his match for his lack of cleanliness and not washing his gear. I knew there must be something to it and Nash pretty much confirms it here;

Don’t want to speak ill of the dead but Ventura’s commentary on that match really tickled me watching it back. 

On 4/28/2019 at 11:56 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Big Josh vs Richard Morton 

Nothing much to this. Not bad, Matt Borne and Ricky Morton were always both good in the ring, but it didn’t feel like it belonged on PPV. Neither man was going anywhere in WCW at this stage in the game. 

”Big Josh is not known for laundering his clothes too often. That may be the advantage he carries. You know, this guy, I think he only showers like once a month.” - Jesse Ventura 

Christ, Jess! Did Borne have a backstage rep for being a tramp or something and this was an inside joke? Just seemed really out of the blue and personal. 

Ha, Morton rips Josh’s shirt off and it gives the Body the perfect opportunity to continue. 

”And that shows you right there how rotten those clothes are if they’ll rip that easily, Jim Ross. Flannel like that? It ain’t been washed in months!” 

Bloody hell 😆

Anyway, yeah. Nothing match. The future Doink wins with an Earthquake-style arse drop. And Jesse again has a pop at his apparent bad hygiene during the replay. ”Look at that, he puts those dirty pants right in his face. Look at Morton grimacing from the smell”. Ha! There must be more to this. 

• Paid Members

I laughed my head off during that match. Ventura had particular beefs that were always funny even when he repeated them ad nauseam, such as calling Steamboat a cheat. But yeah, Borne looked like he reeked in every gimmick he ever had.

I rewatched a few Ultimate Warrior clips from WCW over the weekend, that i probably hadn't seen for 20 years.

it all felt so weird, but also left me wondering what could have been if he had stuck around longer, and whether we would have seen him back in the WWF in 2000 or so.

Edited by The King of Old School

WWE Network has unlocked a few summer themed PPVs for Free Tier subs so watched a couple of them on Sunday, unfortunately I probably picked 2 of the worst to watch Great American Bash 95 and Summerslam 95. The former starts off hot with a great Brian Pillman/Alex Wright match but rapidly goes downhill until the Savage/Flair main event with the only other notable thing from it being the announcement of the Hogan/Vader cage match for the following month's PPV. The latter has the excellent Shawn/Razor ladder rematch and Bret getting a passable match out of the future Kane but is still a poor show in a poor year capped by the atrocious Diesel/Mabel main Event 

• Paid Members

I don’t know. It wasn’t the best and there was some shite on it but Shawn vs Razor and the Kid vs Hakushi opener are fantastic. I didn’t mind Helmsley vs Holly and the Skip vs Horowitz bollocks either actually. Diesel vs Mabel was cack though. Especially as one of the ‘Big 4’ PPV main events. 

8 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I don’t know. It wasn’t the best and there was some shite on it but Shawn vs Razor and the Kid vs Hakushi opener are fantastic. I didn’t mind Helmsley vs Holly and the Skip vs Horowitz bollocks either actually. Diesel vs Mabel was cack though. Especially as one of the ‘Big 4’ PPV main events. 

I might give it a rewatch sometime but I definitely found it disappointing when I was younger. I was probably still missing the old school summery VHS covers.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I might give it a rewatch sometime but I definitely found it disappointing when I was younger. I was probably still missing the old school summery VHS covers.

Some of those covers were brilliant. I loved the SSlam 96 Vader/Michaels cover. I remember having to get it on VHS from virgin. Good ol days. 

Just watched the Mutoh v TAKADA dome main event from 1995. What. A great little match. Clocking around 18 minutes and for the IWGP title, the crowd lost their shit in the final moments. Simple story, realistic shoot style action. Just really decent. 

I love how NJPW world has the titles in sections, so you can watch the matches in chronological order (those that are on the site that is). From Inoki to the current champion. 

Some other matches that intrigue me inc. Vader v Bigelow, Muta v Hashimoto, Flair and Hogan matches, Takayama in NJPW. 

I've binned WWE network for NJPWW as I tend to do. I flip between. NJPW has some brilliant stuff on there. 

Edited by Michael_3165