The Mandela Effect

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Surely a misquote isn't quite the same as a mass belief that something actually occured when it didn't?

"Luke, I am your father" is just a pop culture reference from the time that people would have heard on things like Saturday Night Live. Sticking "Luke" at the beginning of the actual quote is just to contextualize it.

The average person not remembering a line from a movie word perfect - when a slightly different version was being banded about in parodies - is hardly a phenomenon.

Surely a misquote isn't quite the same as a mass belief that something actually occured when it didn't?

"Luke, I am your father" is just a pop culture reference from the time that people would have heard on things like Saturday Night Live. Sticking "Luke" at the beginning of the actual quote is just to contextualize it.

The average person not remembering a line from a movie word perfect - when a slightly different version was being banded about in parodies - is hardly a phenomenon.

Beat me to it. And in Forrest Gump, he says 'my mama always said life was like a box of chocolates'. Is it the fact he's recounting his mum saying it that's meant to be misremembered? I always remembered it that way anyway.

I dunno, I think they are the same thing just different ends of the scale and different levels of importance. In the broad sense it is still about people collectively remembering information differently to how it actually is

Another interesting one is how many people were in the car with JFK?

It happens with wrestling too. In fact just the other day on here, someone was convinced that Mabel had won a King of the Ring tournament. The mind is a fascinating thing.

• Paid Members

not a movie quote but a quote nonetheless, the Moon Landing's Neil Armstrong quote? the actual quote was...

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"

**edited**

does that count? or is that simply seen as a misquote?

but yep, count me in as another guy who's never heard of the Mandela thing.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

not a movie quote but a quote nonetheless, the Moon Landing's Neil Armstrong quote? the actual quote was...

"That's one small step for a man, one small step for mankind"

does that count? or is that simply seen as a misquote?

It was definitely meant to be "a man" and Armstrong insists that's what he says. Virtually everyone else just heard "man", so the only debate is whether Armstrong forgot to say it, or if he said it and it isn't properly audible, perhaps because of the crackly reception.

https://www.nasa.gov/wav/62284main_onesmall2.wav

• Paid Members

It has. It's just not particularly noticeable in the original trilogy unless you're looking for it, and they never made reference to it.

I thought it was a retroactively added thing too, but I've checked my old VHSs that predate the "special" editions and it is, and always has been, silver.

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/feature/fuck-off-did-c3po-have-a-silver-leg.php

I suppose this one could work in reverse, in that masses of people remember him having two gold legs, but the truth is that masses of people just didn't notice that one was silver.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce