The Mandela Effect

UK Kat Von D

"The Mandela Effect is a term for where a group of people all mis-remember the same detail, event or physicality. It is named after the instance in which a large group of people all shared the same memory that Nelson Mandela died prior to his actual 2013 death, usually some time in the 1980's."

So I've been delving into YouTube a little bit and this has fully blown my mind. I wasn't really buying into it until I watched this clip (one minute in)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=_lOT2p_FCvA

When the fuck did that change? I've lately started thinking that the world might actually be flat

• Paid Members

Would to me. One I havent seen mentioned would be "play it again Sam" from Casablanca. That seems pretty common to mistake.

Funnily enough the one it took its name from IE Mandela died in prison at somepoint in the 80's I've never actually encountered.

Another movie related one is Lt. Kilgore in Apocalypse Now and the "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" line. Alot seem to think it's just "I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like victory", whereas he tells a small annocdote between the two parts.

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?

Lance: What?

Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.

[kneels]

Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like [sniffing, pondering] victory.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Last night I was convinced the the fabric of our existence was being changed. Scientists, either travelling back in time or opening doorways to other dimension have been altering reality. Obviously now looking at it all with a fresh perspective without Meth I do still consider it and option, but it is much more likely to be mass coincidences. Fascinating stuff either way.

Blood hell, have you been on the subreddit for this? It's batshit mental.

"Ever since discovering the Mandela effect, I've been feeling weird. I googled it all day yesterday and have been reading Reddit posts today. Last night, I was half asleep and suddenly jolted after having a weird vision (the jolt happens sometimes). It just happened again, I was half asleep and jolted because a weird image popped in my mind. It was of a giant teddy bear with glowing eyes running across the beach. Someone please tell me I'm not going crazy and it's just anxiety. I've been healthy. my entire life, but I don't know why I'm feeling weird. The thought of me going crazy is running through my mind every second.

"It will probably get worse before it gets better. Denial, confusion, anger, acceptance. I think it goes something like that and then it keeps cycling. 

Dangerous part for your sanity is starting to imagine Effects where they don't really exist, and looking for them actively. You truly can drive yourself crazy. 

I thought about it deeply and constantly for literally about a year. I finally had some epiphanies and was able to come to peace with it all. It still interests me to no end but it no longer drives me crazy because I just accept that it's happening, I don't care if anyone believes me, and I know that it doesn't matter in the end because I can't change it anyway. 

Once you go through all that you gain an appreciation for life that I never had before. It has fostered an extreme amount of spiritual growth and knowledge that I am certain I wouldn't have achieved otherwise.”

I can't tell if people are just taking the piss or not, but I like to think they genuinely believe this is a real supernatural phenomenon and we're all in an alternate reality.

Edited by Slapnut

That's a bit of an over reaction to finding out Darth Vader never said "Luke I am your Father."

The man from Taured is an interesting one though. Some bloke shows up at an airport saying he is from a country called Taured but no one has has ever heard of it. He provides passports from the country and other documents. He is taken away for questioning but dissapears without a trace. Standard conspiracy stuff really, but I quite enjoyed it.

Other ones like Forrest Gump never saying "life is like a box of chocolates" and the evil one from Sleeping Beauty never saying "Mirror Mirror on the wall" are a bit cool as well

• Paid Members

Thats it there cool. Its more and intresting insight in too false information in bedding itself into everyday beliefs.

I'm wondering if in the UK with our colonial ties to South Africa that Mandela was more in the public eye than say the USA and thats where the belief is ripe?

I'd imagine it is more of an American thing to think Mandela died in the 80s, most of them are pretty clueless about the rest of the world.

One of my mates was over there recently and some Yank stopped them in the street because he noticed they were English and went on to say he thought England was in Australia

• Moderators

That's a bit of an over reaction to finding out Darth Vader never said "Luke I am your Father."

I mean I can't believe anyone's thought Mandela died in the 80s, not the other stuff. It's not like him becoming the head honcho of South Africa in the 90s was page 27 column 3 stuff.