The Mandela Effect

UK Kat Von D

"Beam me up Scotty" was never said in Star Trek.

That's not quite the same though, nor are the other commonly misheard film/TV quotes like "life is like a box of chocolates". The Mandela Effect is when a group of people distinctly remember a specific event happening differently, like the people who distinctly remember Nelson Mandela dying in the mid 80s to the point there they all remember his funeral and the riots that followed (even though it's obvious they're just thinking of someone else). A misheard line is exactly that, misheard.

What I don't understand about the people who think Mandela died in the 80s though....how have they not heard about him on the news since then? And who did they think shook Francois Pienaar's hand at the '95 Rugby World Cup?

Once you've mistaken one person for one of the world's most famous political figures there's every chance you'll do it again, and again, and again. That's if you're even watching the news at all, which evidence would suggest wasn't a particular hobby to begin with.

• Paid Members

i watched a few videos on the Madela Effect last night, it's a strange thing that's not easily defined. One prime example the videos brought up was that most people remember Sex and the City as Sex in the City. There's loads of little things like that, the weird thing about it is that the weird fuckers making the videos seem to think it's some kind of alternate reality type thing where there's been a glitch in time that has altered things to how we remember them. One nutjob said it's a prime example of how God is still in control :laugh:

Along the the Berenstain Bears, The Sex in the City one is the funniest example. I love the idea that people are so confident in their memory that they'll put one subtle mistake down to the entire universe shifting.

I too spent last night, as well as most of yesterday in work, looking this up. Thanks UKVD, you've given me a new obsession.

• Paid Members

I've got a good one. The people who claim that Texas Chainsaw Massacre was based on a true story, because they can remember the real event happening.

I read an interview with Tobe Hooper where he told of being unable to convince a woman that it was a work of fiction as she personally knew one of the victims.

• Paid Members

I've got a good one. The people who claim that Texas Chainsaw Massacre was based on a true story, because they can remember the real event happening.

I read an interview with Tobe Hooper where he told of being unable to convince a woman that it was a work of fiction as she personally knew one of the victims.

not a case of the Mandela Effect but the bottom example there reminded me of hearing a boy i work with placing himself into an urban legend that gets tossed around. Something to do with a street performer doing stunts with a football and saying to a passing pro (in this case Gareth Bale) "bet you can't do this", to which the footballer responds by whipping out a £50 note, lighting it on fire and says "bet you can't do this". I've heard the same story said of a few footballers, but the fact that the boy actually said he was there when it happened made me giggle, i haven't believed a word he's said ever since.

Don't know if it would be classed as an urban myth or not, but the supposed innuendo of Captain Pugwash is something that people don't remember wrongly, per se, but just believe it because they were told it.

My own personal one, so once again not in line with the topic, I was convinced for decades that David Warner played Falken in Wargames. To the point that after checking the credits, I assumed he did it as an uncredited role.

• Paid Members

Don't know if it would be classed as an urban myth or not, but the supposed innuendo of Captain Pugwash is something that people don't remember wrongly, per se, but just believe it because they were told it.

My Mum got quite eggy with me when I told her this wasn't true, and accused me of calling her a liar (I was calling her memory shit). When I smugly proved it by showing her the snopes article it did little to relax her. Who would have thought correcting people, and doing so with a shit eating grin, would cause such irritation.