The "Jon Jones gone screwed up again" thread

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Jones is one of the few fighters they have that is a legit draw (not Conor or GSP level, but definitely a needle mover), so he'll get a certain level of grace from Dana.

Simply, Jones is always going to make a mess of things and show he's a terrible person; it's him being himself.

Combat sports are a bit of an outlier when it comes to ethics largely because the audience is taking enjoyment in watching people try to harm each other - if someone like Jones commits an actual crime in real life, you have pretty much an equal split of people who don't care, those who tut and post on forums like this while still watching him fight, and others who will watch the show in the hope he gets battered. It's always a win/win for people like Jones as long as, like David says, he doesn't actually go to prison. All these incidents only add to his intrigue and marketability. 

• Paid Members
On 7/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, David said:

There's very little chance that the UFC would ever release Jones from his contract. You know Dana, you know how he works. Do you think he honestly gives a shit about Jones groping a stripper in a strip club? Come on man, you know that he doesn't care. Did you see his comments when he was asked about it? 

“Listen, there’s two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle I’m sure, so I don’t know." Before he then went on to say he's numb to whatever Jones does these days, that it doesn't faze him. There was no condemnation, no mention of the girl who made the accusation, nothing. He gives not a single, solitary fuck.

That's absolutely fair, but I was under the impression that Dana, in real terms, was no longer the final authority in the UFC following the WME takeover. If he retains that level of power, then definitely your point is a given.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, David said:

My mention of Bellator isn't to say that he'd make more money over there (although he might), it was to point out that he'd make top coin regardless. If the UFC suddenly developed morals and decided to terminate Jones contract for the strip club incident do you think Bellator wouldn't pick him up? Of course they would, Coker would be all over that.

Oh, I never thought for one minute Bellator wouldn't pick him up. I was just wondering if it was possible for them to offer him more than the UFC does, not just in fighter pay but in allowing for sponsorships etc. From what I remember reading on here, it seemed like the Reebok deal was designed to keep the top fighters happy at the expense of the jobbers and midcarders.

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's absolutely fair, but I was under the impression that Dana, in real terms, was no longer the final authority in the UFC following the WME takeover. If he retains that level of power, then definitely your point is a given.

I'm fairly certain that Dana is still responsible for a lot of what the UFC does, especially when it comes to fighter relations. The only real way the UFC drop Jones is if his antics become harmful to the UFC brand, and I don't see that being the case.

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Oh, I never thought for one minute Bellator wouldn't pick him up. I was just wondering if it was possible for them to offer him more than the UFC does, not just in fighter pay but in allowing for sponsorships etc. From what I remember reading on here, it seemed like the Reebok deal was designed to keep the top fighters happy at the expense of the jobbers and midcarders.

I honestly think it depends. Jones had a fairly lucrative deal with Nike before, didn't he? I can imagine that he was being paid more for that than he was in the Reebok deal. Throw in the other, smaller sponsors and he may just make more money through advertising outside the UFC than he would in it.

How his money is affected by PPV point and UFC pay compared to Bellator is another matter.

• 7 months later...

Details for those who can't be arsed reading the full article:

UFC superstar Jon Jones was arrested for DWI and a gun charge in New Mexico Thursday morning, TMZ Sports has confirmed.

Cops say they responded to reports of gunfire in Albuquerque at around 1 AM -- and when they arrived at the scene, they found Jones inside a 2019 Jeep with the engine running and the car in park.

Jon denied firing a gun -- but officers say he appeared intoxicated (bloodshot, watery eyes and reeked of booze) and conducted a field sobriety test, which he allegedly bombed.

He also took a breathalyzer, twice, and registered over the legal limit both times.

During a subsequent search of the vehicle, cops say they found a black handgun and a half-empty bottle of tequila behind the passenger seat.

He was arrested and booked for aggravated driving while intoxicated, negligent use of a deadly weapon and possession of an open container.

And his mugshot:

39340bd7c1794cf7b5d2723b1a5a33a1_md.jpg

• Paid Members

Outside of fights he purely only trends for pissing hot or doing reckless life-endangering shit. 

Edited by seph

They could have taken him straight from that sobriety test to an arena and he'd likely have still crushed DC in an MMA fight. Guy is a disaster outside the cage for sure. 

Makes you wonder what he would have accomplished if he'd given half a fuck about what he was doing really.