The "Jon Jones gone screwed up again" thread

ColinBollocks

He's got a point. Cinnamon is fucking horrible. Can you imagine the court case? Evidence stacked high against Bones, the CCTV footage showing him grabbing her in a headlock while he's sniffing coke off a table at the same time, Judge is about to deliver the verdict only to say "well, taking all of this into account, i think the fact her name is Cinnamon is reason enough for Jones actions. In fact, I'm sentencing her to 30 days in the slammer and she has to pay restitution to Jones by giving him a lapdance once a week for a year, and also sparring with him for his next fight."

If he did actually grab a pussy, that's far worse than drug cheating as far as my personal ethics go. I don't really care about whether or not he gets done for some minor drug infringement, but if he's actually doing crimes, then aye, someone needs to have a word and he should do some time. Any follow up on this?

Edited by Brewster McCloud

This was what I was thinking about everyone's reactions to this story.

It doesn't matter what the crime is or how serious.....weather it's assault or j-walking the point is he's supposed to be the world champion.....what sort of world do we now live in were we are turning round to something like this and saying oh well it's not that serious he's only going to get fined or whatever 

54 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

what sort of world do we now live in were we are turning round to something like this and saying oh well it's not that serious he's only going to get fined or whatever 

The same world we've always lived in, unfortunately. Back in the day Mike Tyson was getting up to all sorts and getting away with it until he crossed the line. We see it with footballers, politicians, celebrities of all sorts.

This is nothing new. As long as he's useful for making people (and entire US states) a good chunk of change he'll be fine. It's once he's no longer able to generate money for people that the wheels will come off.

• Paid Members

One thing that might make the difference between boxing and MMA in this regard is the structures of either industry; boxers are their own business, after a fashion, plus make a shit-ton more of money - they aren't part of any one promotion, and therefore can call the shots if they're good. Jones, however, only works for UFC and as such is a representative of the company; given that no fighter aside from McG makes them so much money that they can overlook bad press, they might not be willing to put up with his bollocks for long.

So, they then tear up his contract and he walks into the open arms of Scott Coker and Bellator, where he'll make a shitload of cash and suddenly have new sponsorship opportunities available?

There's not a chance in Hell that the UFC get fed up with Jones nonsense any time soon. In all honesty, him failing another drug test would probably annoy Dana far more than him allegedly groping a stripper. Dana won't give a fuck about what he does outside the cage within reason, so long as he can get licensed and step into the cage.

• Paid Members

I don't know, man - I'm just making some guesses, given that there is a very fundamental difference between MMA and boxing in terms of how business is done. Not saying it'll definitely happen.

Would Bellator definitely pay more than UFC do currently? Surely, as a champion and a main-eventer, he's one of the few people whom the Reebok deal massively favours, outweighing the benefits of being allowed free multiple sponsorship?

Edited by Carbomb

There's very little chance that the UFC would ever release Jones from his contract. You know Dana, you know how he works. Do you think he honestly gives a shit about Jones groping a stripper in a strip club? Come on man, you know that he doesn't care. Did you see his comments when he was asked about it? 

“Listen, there’s two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle I’m sure, so I don’t know." Before he then went on to say he's numb to whatever Jones does these days, that it doesn't faze him. There was no condemnation, no mention of the girl who made the accusation, nothing. He gives not a single, solitary fuck.

Short of Jones actually being convicted of rape or murder I don't think the UFC would drop him. 

As I said, if you gave Dana White the option of Jones being accused of groping a stripper or him failing a drug test and being banned, he'll always go with the groping because it won't cause him or the company to lose money unless Jones is jailed, which is unlikely.

My mention of Bellator isn't to say that he'd make more money over there (although he might), it was to point out that he'd make top coin regardless. If the UFC suddenly developed morals and decided to terminate Jones contract for the strip club incident do you think Bellator wouldn't pick him up? Of course they would, Coker would be all over that.

Edited by David