The "Jon Jones gone screwed up again" thread

ColinBollocks

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Fair play to him. Dana obviously shat it when he realised Jones wasn't playing about. I wonder what sort of offer they made him?

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Hardly screwed up this time, has he?

We know how these things usually end up. He could be done again in an hour.

I think we can use this a general Jones thread.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

He vacated the 205lb belt? That actually really surprises me. Usually holding the belt is key to leverage, not the other way around, though it's worked out differently in this case.Ā 

Should Big Man Jan Vs Dominick Reyes or Thiago Santos Vs Glover be for the vacant title then?

What's first for Jones (if they make a deal) - Stipe or Francis?Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah. The winner of Stipe v Ngannou makes the most sense. Ngannou and Jones have done a decent job hyping up that fight on twitter. The Stipe/Jones fight sells itself really - winner is declared the GOAT.

Jones at HW is such an exciting prospect. It's felt for a year or two he's stagnated fighting at LHW but as David points out, it's not exactly thriving with big time fights. Jones has been open in the past that he wants to make up for all the money he's missed out on and is inspired by Conor's want for the big fight. Bet the mad bugger calls out Brock Lesnar too.

9 minutes ago, David said:

If Jones bins the 205lbs division altogether then we can immediately designate it to "worst division in the sport" status.

It will be interesting to see if the division canĀ improve now Jones isn't about to pad out his record. It's come on a little bit over the past couple of years but with Jones out of the picture I can't say there are many fights I'm too arsed about. Wonder if Gus will move back down now?

Edited by ColinBollocks

2 minutes ago, David said:

If Jones bins the 205lbs division altogether then we can immediately designate it to "worst division in the sport" status.

Imagine having Dom Reyes vs Jan B-Hop for the title? Fucking hell.

Heavyweight is worse in my opinion.Ā 

205lbs is dire, but it at leastĀ has Reyes, Bader, Nemkov, Davis, Prochazka and Blachowicz. Even if those fighters are split across two promotions.Ā 

Heavyweight has Miocic, and then a ton of average fighters and has-beens. Volkov, Derrick Lewis, Oliynyk, and JDS are all ranked in the top 10 ffs.Ā It reallyĀ could do withĀ Jones's presence.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

I disagree. Top 10 HW is far more intriguing than LHW. Stipe, Lewis, Ngannou, Reem etc are a far more interesting group of fighters than anything else at LHW and are much bigger stars than most of them too.

Jones isn't leaving the division if the fights are there to keep him about.Ā 

Edited by ColinBollocks

24 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Top 10 HW is far more intriguing than LHW. Stipe, Lewis, Ngannou, Reem etc are a far more interesting group of fighters than anything else at LHW and are much bigger stars than most of them too.

Jones vs Ngannou is indeed far more interesting than Jones vsĀ Blachowicz or any other light heavyweight contender. So if you look at it that way, yes 205lbs is worse. Although I would much rather watch Nemkov orĀ Prochazka fight than say Volkov, Lewis, orĀ Oliynyk.Ā 

However, the standard of competitionĀ at 205lbs is higher than heavyweight in my opinion. Unlike almost every other division in the sport, the heavyweight division hasn'tĀ progressed much over the years. Which is why I consider it to be the worst division.Ā 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Both HW and LHW shit all over men's 125, and women's 145, 135 and 125 though. There aren't any fights that are both interesting and competitive in those divisions. The champions are all excellent in them, but they have completely cleaned house. Men's 125 could be great at the top if, say, Garbrandt beats Figgy, who would obviously want his belt back, while at the same time Cejudo comes back to Flyweight and the UFC resign DJ. Even then, all of that is about as plausible as Michelle Waterson tickling my bollocks.Ā 

Women's 125 might develop overtime. 135 though seems like an excitement black hole. Sure I'll watch Amanda Nunes beat up tin cans all day, but there's not a single other fight in that division that I'd be excited for.Ā 

Jon Jones moving to Heavyweight kind of instantly makes both HW and 205 more interesting. It'll probably hurt the new champ at LHW for a while though, as they'll get the DC treatment at first for not beating Jones.Ā 

I really don't envy the current crop of top 205'ers. It doesn't matter who wins that title, they'll always have the shadow of Jones hanging over them.

"Yeah, but they didn't actually win it from the champ, did they? They ain't no Jon Jones!"

It's like a top five consisting of Tommy Gunn's from Rocky V really. Forever destined to be compared to the real champ. Although the idea of either Reyes or big Jan donning a blue velour tracksuit and challenging Jones to a street fight would be pretty cool.

• Paid Members

Yeh it does, but it happens. I think the 170lb division got rid of the GSP stigma fairly quickly i thought when Johnny Hendricks was crowned. It helped that Hendricks pushed GSP to his absolute limits in his last fight and showed that GSP was probably on the slide anyway. We'll likely get the 'Jones may be coming back to 205lb' talk to challenge the then champion for years though like we still get with GSP, but i think the actual respect given to the newly crowned Champion was earned right off the bat.

The situation here is very similar, although Jones beat Reyes last time out, many people thought he'd lost so I think the feeling will be similar if Dom Reyes wins the belt against Jan.Ā