Kimbo Slice

RancidPunx

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American Top Team and Mauro Ranallo have sent out RIP tweets. I'd say it's confirmed at this stage. I've read several tweets speculating that it was a heart-attack, but nothing concrete as of yet.  

The general vibe about Kimbo is that he was a super nice guy. This has obviously been mentioned in some of the "RIP" tweets, but it's not a product of his apparent passing. It's been said for years that he's one of the good guys in MMA. He certainly came across that way on TUF 10. 

42 is really no age to go. RIP.

• Paid Members

Fuck, that one has kicked me in the gut.

Despite all the negativity and controversy around Kimbo, i've always been a fan. Watching the whole Kimbo saga from the early interent backyard days to now was a hell of a journey, some of my favorite MMA moments ever involve Kimbo Slice. Seemed like a great guy too.

some of my favorite MMA moments ever involve Kimbo Slice.

I second this.

TUF 10 was the peak of the series, and arguably the UFC's run on Spike TV.  The Elite XC cards he headlined brought a spectacle rarely seen in MMA. Even in his recent bout with Shamrock created a bigger stir than 99% of UFC bouts. 

It wasn't always pretty or skilful, but it was bloody entertaining. 

• Paid Members

Just seen this on the BBC Twitter. What a fucking entertaining guy. Always admired his balls and his ingenuity. Never quite worked out if he was crazy or a genius but he was always captivating. More so than most "proper" MMA fighters.

• Paid Members

Well this is awful news. With the thread title being non-descriptive I saw it and thought I'd pop in to read some fun Kimbo stories, absolutely not expecting to read this. Kimbo was such a character, with an amazing back story to an MMA career. I always liked the guy. As Rick said, he was just so much more interesting than the vast majority of real MMA fighters.

• Paid Members

Shocking, horrendous news. Kimbo was always a pretty terrible fighter but the amount of entertainment and fun he provided was up there with any fighter in the history of the sport. I was hoping to see him live in London next month. Terrible news to wake up to.

• Awards Moderator

I was working at FightDVD when he signed for UFC and there was HUGE buzz. It seemed like he was the scariest free agent on the planet. It turns out he's one of the nicest guys and seemed to benefit from the UFC regimen.

What a genuinely shocking death.

• Paid Members

Horrible. Kimbo is one of those names that people of a certain age seem to know, despite not having an interest in MMA.

Real shame for MMA fans, because despite how some view his fights, he was doing his bit to help build a number 2 company.

Sad sad news.

Archived