Kimbo Slice

RancidPunx

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What a shitty piece of news. Someone at work just told me but the guy is often full of shit so I hoped he'd got this wrong as well. Gutted about this. Like others have said, he seemed like such a good, down to earth bloke and despite what people always said about his fighting, he was entertaining as fuck to watch most of the time.

• Paid Members

That's a sad bit of news to find out today. Kimbo was the walking special attraction. He was still drawing as a one off against the talking dead at Bellator this year. Hasnt he got this crazy record of being this huge one off draw in several different organizations? He looks like he was created from a lab to be an MMA fighter. Just a wonderful character that anyone on earth could look at and say "he's a badass."

RIP Kimbo. I dont believe you're 42, but I still love you.

• Paid Members

always found it weird how Kimbo's boxing career never went anywhere. Going back to MMA he proved he still drew big numbers but that boxing lull in the middle was odd, he fought in largely untelevised fights and it never created much of anything.

Kimbo of course was limited and the legitimacy of his opponents was questionable but surely they could have done more with him than they did?

• Paid Members

always found it weird how Kimbo's boxing career never went anywhere. Going back to MMA he proved he still drew big numbers but that boxing lull in the middle was odd, he fought in largely untelevised fights and it never created much of anything.

Kimbo of course was limited and the legitimacy of his opponents was questionable but surely they could have done more with him than they did?

I've never even thought about it before but I'd have loved to have seen Kimbo vs Shannon Briggs.

A lot of his fights are up on FP for free if anyone's interested. The James Thompson fight were Thompson's ear is literally split in half is up there to.

http://www.ufc.tv/search

Thompson's ear was more than split in half. It basically exploded. He came into the fight with a badly swollen up cauliflower ear and Kimbo popped it like a giant bloody zit. It was vile stuff.

The great man in my av (who isn't Kimbo by the way), Sean Price (also sadly no longer with us) had a picture of Thompson and his volcanic ear on the back of his mixtape, fittingly named 'Kimbo Price'.

jN3kZ.jpg

Have any more details come out about what brought on the heart attack? He'd have been in camp for the Bellator London show, right?

• Paid Members

Gutted. I've always been a very casual UFC watcher but the season he was in the Ultimate Fighter I was hardcore, downloading it asap. That season was amazing, though it was helped by Rampage vs Titties (the greatest feud in any sport ever*), Kimbo was the reason I started watching it. Always kept the aura of the baddest man in the sport, even when he got cuddled into oblivion in his first fight, or squealed like a girl when he got in the ice-bath. The debut of the Kimbo-plex on the finale was MMA's Hogan slamming Andre moment**. It's a shame he had to pull out of that Inoki show due to injury. He was made to be a wrestler.

Might dig out UFC 2010 later and wreck some fools as him. RIP.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCvRqJDQD4k

**https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGolPWzV9E

I really need to buy that season on DVD.

• Paid Members

I know next to nothing about MMA, but I knew who Kimbo was, and a lot more about his career than about anyone else in MMA. He was just electrifying, despite his poor quality as an actual fighter. I was catching up on some films I hadn't watched, and there was an advert for Kimbo vs. Dada 5000, so I was just explaining yesterday to a friend who Kimbo was. And now this.

And shush, Kimbo was almost exactly the same age as Taribo West.

• Paid Members

the best thing about Kimbo being on TUF was that it completely shattered everyones perception of who Kimbo was, not just from a viewers standpoint but from the viewpoint of the other fighters on the show too, there was the 'fuck this guy' comment as he walked in and it all seemed like they wanted to make Kimbo's life very uncomfortable, yet by the end they all loved the guy, i think that took everyone by surprise. It humanised & endeared Kimbo to fans even more.

Im going to re-watch the series.

• Paid Members

He was just a fun lovable character to have around, wasn't he? Especially in a sport like MMA where it's all too often presented as if it's as serious as a cancer ward. Kimbo brought an element of fun to the events he was on.

Another highlight I completely forgot about, was during the Countdown to UFC 113 and his fight with Matt 'Meathead' Mitrione. There was a little clip showing Kimbo training then he walked up to the door of the octagon, covered in sweat, and said something like 'no drinking, no fast food, no sex for weeks...Saturday I get to knock this fool out and paaaarty...paaaarty...paaaarty'. The best bit was that as he was saying 'paaaarty' he was doing a full on Ravishing Rick Rude hip swivel. It was hilarious seeing someone as scary looking as Kimbo acting like a big goofy kid and it was such a refreshing change from the usual soundbites ("I'm better now than I've ever been", "I'm gonna go out there and give 100%" etc etc) on the Countdown shows. It just reminded me why I loved the bastard.

I wish I could find the clip I'm talking about. If you can find the UFC 113 Countdown, fire it up and skip to the Kimbo vs Meathead bit. It's worth it just to see him showing the ladies what a real sexy man looks like. Hit the music.

I still hate that Meathead beat him. That had to be one of the clearest babyface vs heel MMA fights ever.

• Paid Members

Gutted. I've always been a very casual UFC watcher but the season he was in the Ultimate Fighter I was hardcore, downloading it asap. That season was amazing, though it was helped by Rampage vs Titties (the greatest feud in any sport ever*), Kimbo was the reason I started watching it. Always kept the aura of the baddest man in the sport, even when he got cuddled into oblivion in his first fight, or squealed like a girl when he got in the ice-bath. The debut of the Kimbo-plex on the finale was MMA's Hogan slamming Andre moment**. It's a shame he had to pull out of that Inoki show due to injury. He was made to be a wrestler.

Might dig out UFC 2010 later and wreck some fools as him. RIP.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCvRqJDQD4k

**https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGolPWzV9E

I really need to buy that season on DVD.

Beautiful stuff. Absolute pinnacle of TUF. I've never been interested that much since. Some huge fuckers on that series. Kimbo, Nelson, Sims, Mitrione, Schaub. That English guy McSweeney too. Rampage made a massive heel turn during it though. I wasn't a fan of Rashad going in but I wanted him to spark Rampage coming out.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he was a good guy. Wasn't he another ex-footballer? Mitrione was such a fucking knob. Was there anyone who didn't want to knock him out? Came across as a right thicko too.

Never read the Wiki article on TUF 10 before. Not thought about it in years in truth. Here are the TV ratings:

"TUF 10" episode No. 1: 4.1 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 2: 2.9 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 3: 5.3 million viewers (peak: 7.25 million with DVR viewing)

"TUF 10" episode No. 4: 2.8 million viewers (peak: 4.89 million with DVR viewing)

"TUF 10" episode No. 5: 2.8 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 6: 2.8 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 7: 2.5 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 8: 2.7 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 9: 2.5 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 10: 2.4 million viewers

"TUF 10" episode No. 11/12: 2.6 million viewers

Obviously a big audience for the first episode. Then a pretty steady decline other than Episode 3 which drew a big number, presumably for Roy Nelson vs. Kimbo?

Archived