Kimbo Slice

RancidPunx

Heavyweights get paid a lot more than guys in other weight classes, about 10 of the top 15 are probably making $150'000 plus per fight.

That's part of the reason Affliction went bust, if they had a bunch of lightweights, the pay roll would be a lot smaller.

Paul Buentello and Jeff Monson are probably on decent money and before he was killed Justin Eilers was on $40,000a year and had been losing fights ever since he lost a title shot to Arlovski, a fight he got coming off a loss.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Heavyweights get paid a lot more than guys in other weight classes, about 10 of the top 15 are probably making $150'000 plus per fight.

That's part of the reason Affliction went bust, if they had a bunch of lightweights, the pay roll would be a lot smaller.

Paul Buentello and Jeff Monson are probably on decent money and before he was killed Justin Eilers was on $40,000a year and had been losing fights ever since he lost a title shot to Arlovski, a fight he got coming off a loss.

Is that external sponsorships or standard contract pay? We're talking about sponsorships like Musclepharm etc. 

• Paid Members

You're right it's not 100% proof, but from what I see, there's more proof to suggest he's telling the truth.

I'm not sure that's how sponsorships worked either. I doubt you have companies sending money over as a package deal as fighters never know if they get 1 or 3 fights in the UFC. All that's certain is the one fight that's scheduled. 

I guess the reason sponsorships are probably likely paid on a fight by fight basis is also to where the fighters are/were on the card. 

Obviously this bullshit Kimbo story aside, I just think there was no reason for Schaub to lie in that situation. It wasn't going to change the reebok deal, and he decided that fighting was no longer going to be worth his time without that sponsorship money coming in. He stood by his convictions at least. 

Yeah, I don't disagree with you - I just doubt the number. I reckon Schaub made that statement, exaggerated it for effect, and then got pulled on it so felt he had to go out of his way to back it up. Nobody else threw out numbers that big. We know Anderson & Vitor moaned about some big Brazilian sponsor deals that got screwed - but Schaub isn't either of those; he was a forgettable midcarder.

Is that external sponsorships or standard contract pay? We're talking about sponsorships like Musclepharm etc.

I know what you guys are talking about, but it stands to reason if a guy is paid more, he will get sponsored more and the sponsorship companies probably feel the same

Archived