Kimbo Slice

RancidPunx

Mixed martial arts star Kimbo Slice, who died Monday night at the age of 42, was diagnosed with heart failure and informed he needed a heart transplant, according to a report by the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Citing a medical report made by the Northwest Medical Center in Margate, the Sun Sentinel reported that Slice, birth name Kevin Ferguson, was admitted to the hospital on June 3, complaining of "severe abdominal pain, shortness of breath and nausea."

The report states Ferguson was placed on a ventilator in intensive care and was scheduled to be transported to Cleveland, where he would be placed on a donors list. Trauma and foul play are not suspected in the fighter's death.

Mike Imber, Slice's longtime manager and childhood friend, confirmed to ESPN.com that Slice entered the medical facility on June 3. According to Imber, Slice appeared to be doing well until Monday, when the situation turned.

"He went to Germany around March and got really sick while he was there," Imber said. "I don't know what he thought it was, but he just felt sick. On Friday (June 3), he had bad chest pains and went to the hospital. I went and visited him on Friday and he seemed OK. I didn't feel like I was going to lose my friend in two days, by any means. He seemed concerned, but he seemed all right.

"I talked to him that Saturday and Sunday, and he was still in the hospital. I said, 'something's not right.' On Monday, his wife called and told me he had stopped breathing."

Slice (5-2) was scheduled to fight James Thompson at Bellator 158 on July 16 in London, but according to Mike Brown, his head coach at American Top Team, Slice had intended to withdraw from the event.

"He had a few things going on," Brown said. "He had a crazy hiccup problem and he had high blood pressure. He also had a problem that had something to do with his gallbladder. We had talked about him pulling out of the fight. That's what he was going to do. I don't know if he had done that officially yet, but a decision had already been made not to fight."

Christ, you have to ask if he was in that state how he managed to get licensed to fight Harris in February, a mere four months before he died. Surely his heart and health conditions were pretty prevalent at that point? How did he pass a medical to fight in a cage?

Him being all gassed out and fucked after a few minutes makes perfect sense now.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not usually one for conspiracies.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the initial plan for Kimbo vs Harris was to fix the fight. The shift in betting lines suggested as much. I think it's possible that they got rumbled when the betting lines were suspended, and with the spotlight on them, they had no choice but to fight legit. 

The commission where the fight took place is meant to be pretty lax, so it's no wonder that he was cleared to fight.

Pretty lax? Lax is letting a guy fight if he's maybe pissed hot for an anabolic or weed, not letting a dude fight who's heart is fucked!

Considering the commission let both of these guys fight you really need to think that questions have to be asked.

• Paid Members

i heard Kimbo on a podcast (think it was the Jasta Podcast) a few months and he was sick, his voice was real croaky and he sounded tired.

Who knows the real story between Kimbo/Dada, it'll never be forgotten that's for sure.

I luved the guy but there's no way he was only 42. I think he was probably 52

Not uncommon though for ages to be made up. The Cuban heavyweight called Ortiz, guys amazing but looks more 50 than 37. There's alot of fiction that goes on with birth certificates (e.g.under 16 footballers who are really 25 etc)

• Paid Members

yeh, the Cuban's always get called get questioned about their age. There was abit of a scandal last year when some 30+ guy was playing for some under-18 side with a faked birth certificate or something, barmy.

I remember as a kid, Scotland hosted an under 16 World Cup in the late 80's and reached the final somehow.

They were beaten in the final by Saudi Arabia and most of Saudi team had moustaches and beards and looked at least 25. neither team went on to have much success and just checking there, only Paul Dickov and Bryan O'Neill are the only players I remember, Luis Figo played in that tournament as well.

• Paid Members

here's the story i was referring too, Joseph Minala from Cameroon was playing for Lazio under-17's (he's 19 now), there were claims made that he was actually 42.

1409071106021_wps_4_article_2558313_1B72

he's apparently since proven his age and even broken into the Lazio first team.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2734900/Joseph-Minala-Lazio-youth-team-product-prove-not-42-joins-FC-Bari-one-year-loan.html

And that was just the Saudi girls team. BAN THE BURKA ETC, it could have been a terrorist or Olafembi Martins under that.

Nothing that I wrote was anything remotely like that, I dont give a flying fuck if anyone wants to wear a burka, they could have been from anywhere on the planet. Almost everyone on their team looked much older, while the rest of the teams from memory had a bunch of skinny spotty faced youngsters, who actually looked their age.

• Paid Members

And that was just the Saudi girls team. BAN THE BURKA ETC, it could have been a terrorist or Olafembi Martins under that.

Nothing that I wrote was anything remotely like that, I dont give a flying fuck if anyone wants to wear a burka, they could have been from anywhere on the planet. Almost everyone on their team looked much older, while the rest of the teams from memory had a bunch of skinny spotty faced youngsters, who actually looked their age.

I think you have taken what Keith said the wrong way

Archived