McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Well, the thread title is relevant once more. Conor tweeted:

Dana's reaction:

It would be foolish to believe him, of course, seeing what happened the last time he "retired". However, his vile whiskey is apparently killing it and he's played a bit of blinder with it. Conor mentioned a few weeks back that fighting supposedly isn't even his biggest/main source of income, these days.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah. Someone made the point that now the UFC has got their massive ESPN deal over the line, they may feel less inclined to give Conor everything he wants.

I do wonder if the UFC trying to shift Conor to a co main slot has anything to do with Conor getting less of his PPV points in that position? It's the shady shafting they enjoy.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Chunk said:

The idea of having your biggest star (by a huge distance) co-main because he doesn't hold a title is beyond comprehension. It's just absolute nonsense. 

Aye. It's why I'm wondering if there is something in his contract stating he only gets his full PPV money if he main events, which is why Dana is being difficult with it. It just doesn't make sense. I mean Conor v Diaz was never about a title and it was huge twice.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Yawn. 

All just a marketing ploy, one that we've witnessed before, only this time it means even less because he's been essentially retired since the Alvarez fight in MSG. He'll hopefully be remembered as one of the more notable examples of how power and money can change someone for the far, far worse.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Yawn. 

All just a marketing ploy, one that we've witnessed before, only this time it means even less because he's been essentially retired since the Alvarez fight in MSG. He'll hopefully be remembered as one of the more notable examples of how power and money can change someone for the far, far worse.

Bang on.

It's starting to become MMA's equivalent of Ronaldo shaking his arse at Man U every time his contract's up for renewal.

• Paid Members

I honestly wouldn’t really care if he just fucked off now. If you’d said in 2016 that I’d feel that way 3 years later I’d swear your cheese had fell of its cracker. I’m really just over the whole Conor McGregor thing. It was fun for a bit then from about the time of the Diaz loss onwards it just gradually got a bit sadder, cringier and embarrassing as the years went by. Not saying I wasn’t swept up in the Diaz rematch or the Alvarez, Mayweather and Khabib fights. I was, obviously. And when he inevitably fights again it’ll be big news and I’ll be interested. But if he did walk away now, I genuinely wouldn’t give much of a fuck. 

But yeah it’s all bollocks. The other day he was tweeting ‘who fucking wants it?’ He was talking in interviews about setting up a fight in July and loving fighting. About 3 days later he’s ‘retiring’.

OK, Conor. 

9BDF0137-AA22-4B8D-94DC-45ECAA26ABF8.gif