McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

“Told by Paulie Malignaggi that BKFC are preparing a mega money offer to Conor McGregor for a bare-knuckle boxing match with him,” Boxing editor Michael Benson wrote on Twitter. “He insists they have more money than people think and also confirmed it’s possible he could make his June debut against Artem Lobov.”

I'm absolutely certain this is bullshit, but could you possibly imagine McGregor vs Paulie in a BKFC fight? It would be like the ending of a Van Damme 80's movie or some shit. Ridiculous.

• Paid Members

You've got to admire Paulie's hustle, but I think the small chance of this happening has vanished now. I mean, Conor is probably getting another Khabib payday this year and I hope Conor is smart enough to realise that no one is genuinely arsed about him fighting Paulie anymore.

Conor needs to get back fighting in an octagon on a regular. It's what he's good at.

• Paid Members

That Bare Knuckle promotion didn’t even pay Chris Leben his purse for the Baroni fight the other month. And we’re supposed to believe they’ve got that red panty coin? I’ll be surprised if they pay Paulie. They sound well shady. 

As for Conor in July, I think Khabib is technically cleared after April, isn’t he? But last I heard he was sitting out until his teammates are allowed back, which I think would be around October time. Saying that, despite originally banging on about fighting for his people and his country and all that, Khabib seems to suddenly have become obsessed with money. Hence that silly shite about fighting Mayweather etc. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he forgets his ‘loyalty’ in favour of those easy millions he’ll make for making Conor beg for mercy again. If not, maybe that McGregor vs Cerrone fight ends up back on. Or a slimmer outside chance of a rubber match with Nate maybe. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah, two different promotions. The BKFC is the decent one (Leben ironically has signed with them now). The BKFC really does seem to have its shit together, I listened to Paulie's podcast recently and he said that anyone doubting the money or goals of the promotion are in for abit of a surprise. 

• Paid Members

Fair enough didn’t realise it was another company. Still can’t see it happening though. There’s a difference between the UFC letting Conor fight Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match and the UFC letting him fight Paulie Malignaggi in a fucking bare knuckle fight, isn’t there? 

• Paid Members

nah, its gonna not gonna happen, but if Paulie goes in, beats Artem and cuts a McGregor promo post-fight with Conor present you know that will do some wild numbers on social media. Even having the 'what if?' McGregor factor associated with the promotion its gonna do them a world of good. Smart play. 

Edited by Egg Shen

It's also worth remembering that the actual mechanics of the fight being able to happen is secondary to the hype.

If Malignaggi smashes Lobov (as he very probably will) and cuts a promo calling out Conor to meet him in the middle ground between boxing and MMA, which is bare-knuckle boxing, questioning his balls and all that jazz it's going to work in his favour. First of all, Paulie will get the social media "rub" as you just know it'll be all over the internet for days afterwards, and second, you have to remember the audience here for the most part.

We're talking about mainly males who actually believed Conor was going to knock out Floyd Mayweather. Do you think those guys will be discussing the ins & outs of contracts and co-promotional opportunities? Of course not, they'll be wondering why Conor isn't just "doing whatever the fuck he wants" and isn't just swaggering in there and "knocking this bum out."

Paulie can only gain from a situation like that, as worst case scenario is that his profile gets a bit of a boost.

That's assuming he wins, of course. If Lobov somehow connects with a bare-knuckle shot to his chin and sparks him then Paulie may as well just crawl into bed and never come back out.

• Paid Members

I could be missing something here, but is there any reason to believe that this wouldn't end well for McGregor? It may be bare knuckle, but it's still a boxing match, correct? In which case Malignaggi has the distinct and probably overwhelming advantage here, no?

14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I could be missing something here, but is there any reason to believe that this wouldn't end well for McGregor? It may be bare knuckle, but it's still a boxing match, correct? In which case Malignaggi has the distinct and probably overwhelming advantage here, no?

There's one thing you're forgetting here C-Bomb, which is crucial to the discussion.

McG's big left hand.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

True, he needs it to be that fast to shovel all that Colombian baking soda up his nose.

This was the left hand that was going to crush the unbeaten record of Mayweather while wearing an 8oz glove. Imagine the carnage it could cause if only wrapped in gauze? Christ almighty.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Paulie can only gain from a situation like that, as worst case scenario is that his profile gets a bit of a boost.

Unless Artem beats him 😄 the reaction to that would be pretty interesting.

Paulie will likely fight someone else first because Lobov is fighting Jason Knight first. Paulie will no doubt be at the event to stir the pot, its gonna be interesting.

Ive said it in the bare knuckle thread but BKFC really is worth a look, the actual shows and production is really good. Dont associate it with the cheap underground looking UK promotions going around, its got something about it.