McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Money, paycheques and buyrates only really becomes the big talking point when you get to the top end of the sport in popularity, and thats where McGregor sits. Floyd Mayweather's ability to make money is lauded as much as his actual boxing record. Conor is basically the MMA equivalent. It'll always be a talking point.

• Paid Members

Looks like we can’t have McGregor vs Cowboy after all. 

Watch this bullshit...

So it’s looking like Khabib vs McGregor 2 because “that’s the fight Conor wants”. And Cowboy vs Raging Al, which I’d usually love but fuck this fucking whole situation. There’s legit about 5 more deserving/interesting challengers for Khabib. 

It may be the fight that Conor wants, but is it smart putting him in with a guy who likely smashes him up again? The first fight wasn't even close, McG didn't even win in the areas we thought he may have a chance. One guy got dropped when standing, and it wasn't Khabib.

I think if McG gets another skelping he'll be gone for good most likely. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Well, it does explain why Dana wasn't biting on the money fight of GSP v Khabib. Only a Conor rematch will be bigger than that.

We'll all be into it come fight night, obviously, but it's such a nonsense match up. Conor got absolutely handled and very clearly needs to batter a top 5 guy to get Khabib again. Sadly, this is the world where Brock Lesnar is walking into a HW title match whenever he wants. The UFC obviously are shitting themselves about losing that rematch money due to either man losing before it. If you're Khabib on his current cash-in tour, you're delighted with this; probably the easiest fight in the top 5 for silly money.

Khabib will be over the moon no doubt, he'll be making life-changing money twice over for beating someone who's not on his level.

I fully expect everyone to shit on the fight just now, then as it edges closer we'll start hearing rumblings about how Conor has changed camp and is fixing the holes in his game, which will lead to his fans believing that a 3 month camp will have him capable of outwrestling Khabib.

Everyone buys in, they see him at the pressers talking about how his gameplan was all wrong, he won't make that mistake this time, only for him to get absolutely fucking handled again and get stopped in the 3rd or 4th.

• Paid Members

It will be hilarious to see Conor change game plan to the correct one, this time, and still get butchered. Kavanagh explaining away the Khabib loss down to them being too defensive and hoping Khabib gasses out was a bit mental. Even if that was the plan (it's a stupid one, as we saw), I doubt Conor is stuffing many of those takedowns.

Thing is, even if Conor manages to keep it standing, he only won that 3rd by the slimmest of margins. Khabib showed his boxing has come on a great deal in the past couple of years and, like last time, it wouldn't surprise me if Khabib dropped Conor on his arse again because that takedown threat is something special.

At least Conor is clearly very aware he needs to make changes to get near Khabib. I doubt it will matter, but it's better than Rousey locking herself away with the same trainer and team mates.

Aye, I think the UFC are striking while the iron is still hot. It's possible that McGregor would lose to Cerrone, Ragin Al, Aldo or whoever. That would spoil their plans to cash in on the Khabib vs McGregor rematch. There is also the possibility that McGregor will go off the rails. Or Khabib telling them to go fuck themselves.

Of course, if the UFC went with McGregor vs Cerrone and Khabib vs Ferguson, then most of us would be much happier. Those two match-ups are far more intriguing than McGregor vs Khabib 2. As is Holloway vs Khabib, should Max win his next fight. I guess we could eventually get Holloway vs Ferguson in all this. Or even Ferguson vs Aldo. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Holloway vs Ferguson would be insanity. As would Ferguson vs Poirier. Or come to think of it, Ferguson vs Gaethje or Diaz or McGregor. It’s pretty crazy that there are still so many amazing fresh matchups for Ferguson at 155 when you consider he’s been in the UFC’s lightweight division for a good 8/9 years now. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, David said:

Khabib will be over the moon no doubt, he'll be making life-changing money twice over for beating someone who's not on his level.

I fully expect everyone to shit on the fight just now, then as it edges closer we'll start hearing rumblings about how Conor has changed camp and is fixing the holes in his game, which will lead to his fans believing that a 3 month camp will have him capable of outwrestling Khabib.

Everyone buys in, they see him at the pressers talking about how his gameplan was all wrong, he won't make that mistake this time, only for him to get absolutely fucking handled again and get stopped in the 3rd or 4th.

we're already seeing it, Conor's recent posts on social media are saying that he completely neglected his offence in camp and focussed soley on defence, now he's bringing the offence back!!

It'll be enough to sell it. The people who said that Floyd will never have experienced punching power like Conor's are already back on the bandwagon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

☹️

Genuinely feared a lot worse when I saw his name and "arrested" pop up on my phone, which is sad.

He just can't keep his nose clean, so to type. Who knows if the fan was being a knob, but there is no need.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

The bloke is an idiot. All the money he could need, a young family, plenty of opportunities outside combat sport and he's pissing it all away. Why is he even coming out of a night club in Miami at 5am in the first place!? Get home to your Mrs and newborn!

On 2/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, Egg Shen said:

There's a lot shit going around but in the day and age of social media and literally every single person having a camera on them 24/7, i find it hard to believe if more actual proof isnt surfacing. Take that pub incident for example, id imagine everyone in there had their phones out the second it kicked off, but theres not one single photo or frame of video of Conor in that pub that i know of. All these rumors of Conor coked of his nut at parties, wheres the photos? wheres the videos? You have to think some of it would show up online.

Well that mystery has been cleared up.

Unsurprising news, he's a danger and liability to himself at this point. That post from a few weeks back about him being a cocaine-fuelled moron seems more and more convincing every team one of these stories crops up.

Did anything ever come of that girl from Liverpool claiming she had his baby? Or was it just a "paid off behind closed doors" type deal?

On 2/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, Egg Shen said:

All these rumors of Conor coked of his nut at parties, wheres the photos? wheres the videos? You have to think some of it would show up online.

On the smashed up phones of his victims is probably a good guess at the moment.