McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Exactly. The disappointing thing is he was actually really gracious in defeat when he lost to Diaz. This is all coming off a bit sad though. And for all his crowing about being richer than the rest of the UFC roster, you can tell he’s still bitter and haunted by that Khabib loss to be “bitching” like this on Twitter, 3 months after the fact. 

I think the “it’s only business” thing might end up harming him more than the actual loss in the long run. In terms of how he’s perceived anyway, which seems to matter massively to the oversensitive sod. It’s clearly bothered him that he was caught on camera “bitching out” to be still trying to act like he said something else now. He’s someone who’s always thrived on trash talk, bravado and claiming that his opponent is scared shitless of him. Be interesting to see if his next opponent brings up the “it’s only business” thing and what his reaction is. If he’s against a Khabib, Iaquinta, Ferguson or Diaz, they’ll be all over that. And if he ever boxes Paulie Malignaggi, Paulie’s definitely going to bring it up. He certainly didn’t miss it when the video was doing the rounds and has talked about it a few times. However McGregor tries to spin it to damage control it now, he was heard on camera saying “it’s only business” and basically asking Khabib for mercy. There’s still the absolute weirdo McGregor groupies who will not have that that’s what he said but he did. If he said “don’t be bitching” as he’s now claiming, why did he look so defeated and timid? He wasn’t talking shit, he was folding and checking out. 

And it’s hilarious that he’s moaning that Khabib just held his legs and that he should’ve been the one complaining to the ref. You look at that fight and you’ll see McGregor at different points;

a) Grabbing the shorts. 

b) Grabbing the gloves. 

c) Landing an illegal knee to Khabib’s head from underneath when they’re on the ground. 

d) Grabbing the fence a bunch of times. 

And now he’s admitting he tried to dig his fingers into Khabib’s Adam’s Apple, which I’m not 100% sure but that probably wouldn’t be legal either. 

He tried every underhand tactic to somehow do something and he still got completely dominated and tapped out. 

CDE254F6-1611-45A9-8A6E-38BA41123152.jpeg

”Let’s talk now.”

Edited by wandshogun09

I didn't really see Khabib doing much bitching to the referee, but he did do a lot of talking to McG in there. 

On the boxing front, if that fight with Paulie took place I think it would be a bit of an eye opener. A lot of people saw him against Floyd and think he managed to do really well, but the real question is, how much of the early stages of that fight was just Floyd playing around? He threw less punches in those opening rounds than he has in recent times, and that's for a reason I think.

If we somehow see the Paulie fight signed, I don't think he'll be afforded the same courtesy. Paulie is going to be training like a fucking demon for that fight, and he's going to come in with the intention of absolutely embarrassing Conor. There's a difference between a boxing novice taking part in what was a glorified sparring exhibition session against a seasoned pro who was looking to entertain, and that novice boxer going in against a legit two-weight world champion with over 40 pro fights to his name who has the intentions of hurting you and making you look like a chump.

Look at Mayweather's recent fight in Japan. He was unreachable before the fight, arrived late, and obviously wasn't in the best of moods for whatever reason. He came in with the intentions of getting that shit done fast and getting out and back on his jet. 

Anyone who thinks that he couldn't have done that to McG if he'd wanted is incredibly naive.

• Paid Members

The thing with Paulie as well is he was never a big hitter. His thing was to outpoint you, outwork you, make you miss, frustrate you and while there was nothing flashy about his style, he’d be there the full 12 consistently. Terrible for someone like Conor to look good against because Paulie wouldn’t play to McGregor’s strengths. And he’d be shit talking right back before, during and after the fight as well. 

Worth bearing in mind that he was never a big hitter against other high-level boxers. We heard the same about Floyd, but when a skilled boxer faces a novice they can put a guy on his arse with a well-placed punch that they usually wouldn't land against top level opposition.

• Paid Members

MMA fighters doing boxing at a high level needs to die. You understand why they do it - after all, you're a mug if you don't understand prizefighting is all about that coin. However, the thought of someone like Khabib in there with a master like Floyd, for example, or Conor v Paulie is just so unappealing. Floyd v Conor worked because it was two of the biggest stars in sport colliding and was a novelty, but we saw exactly how it plays out now. Turns out, exactly the way anyone with a hint of knowledge predicted.

The Khabib v Floyd talk scares me the most. You need a good ref in there because you can see Khabib turning into Floyd's punching bag for 12 rounds.

Anyway, Conor needs to shut up and win. He was battered against Floyd and he was mauled against Khabib. That's two massive shows where he's been made to look like a chump. He could have a Dan Hardy run of losses over the next couple of years if he doesn't get his head down.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I think it's fairly clear that Mayweather carried McGregor during that fight by not putting the pedal down too early, allowing McGregor to save face a bit. He wrecked Nakusawa early because he could, and he could have done the same with Conor if he wanted to, but it was in both of their best interests that people didn't come away from that Floyd/Conor fight feeling that they were completely fleeced, even if they were. 

Conor against Pauli in a real boxing match isn't ending well for McGregor. Now that McGregor is out of the LW title picture, I'm not totally against it happening. However I would much prefer to see him fight Ragin' Al, Nate Diaz, GSP, Kevin Lee, Justin Gaethje or whoever else you want to name from that LW division. As long as it's not an immediate Khabib re-match, as that's going the exact same way as before. In fact, it might end up a bit more of a disaster for Conor, now that he knows how easily he was handled the first time. 

• Paid Members

The next fight for Conor should 100% be Raging Al. If Raging Al wins (and I'd bet on it) and Khabib beats Tony (I'll keep my money in my pocket, thanks), the UFC can market the H out of Al not only is the man to down Conor, but he's the only man Khabib has looked normal against and that was on a few days notice - yes that's bullshit, Khabib dominated, but that's the narrative they'll use because Joe Rogan.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Unpopular opinion but I've lost interest in McGregor fighting anyone that isn't a genuine rival. It has to be a grudge match, a freak show, a big one-off event for me.  Don't see the point of him jumping in with the Raging Real Estate Al or Cowboy.  Even Tony Ferguson, I don't see the point unless Conor wants to enter the division again which he clearly won't.  I want him going at it with Nate, Aldo or Khabib again.  Maybe Max Holloway at a push.   FFS I'd be more likely to buy him vs Paulie than Cerrone.

Man, I really want Conor fighting Cerrone. Cerrone deserves a big money fight, and Conor needs an opponent he can bounce back against. I think Cowboy obliges him standing and we get a fun but winnable fight.

Holloway's too good now, especially against the version of Conor we saw in the Khabib fight. Khabib is suffocating, sure, but even in the round McGregor won, he didn't look himself.

• Paid Members

Yeah, there aren't many guys I'd like to see make the big fight money that a McGregor fight can make more than Donald Cerrone. Guy has absolutely earned it. He deserves to walk into the sunset with millions in his back pocket.

• Paid Members

I don't think it confirms that at all. Regardless of what we think of him (and who doesn't), he has established that he is an elite fighter. You don't beat the people he has if you're just a myth. He may be overblown and overhyped, yes - but a myth? That's too far in the opposite direction, for me.

• Paid Members

Myth is a bit strong, but I do believe he's never getting back to the tippy top and, who knows, may get bashed by Cerrone.

The reason is Conor, over the past two years, has done almost everything he said he wouldn't do because he was fully aware it would be detrimental to his fighting career - whether that be starting a family, Proper Twelve, or taking so much time off etc. He's not heeded his own in belief system in what it took for him to be a champ (champ) and what it takes to stay there. I definitely envisage a slide from him but I don't think it relegates his legacy to myth, rather highlights the dangers of not fully committing all your efforts into the beast.

I do hope I'm wrong because Conor makes fighting fun (for the most part), but I doubt he'll stick about and become a whipping boy. I can see the next year or two being rough for Conor in the cage. LW is maybe the most talent heavy in the history of the sport, so you need to be on it to succeed.

We've seen with Brock and Ronda that fans seem to always dwell on the downfall part of their legacy more, which is a shame. No matter how incredible and massive the rise was.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah, what Carbomb said. He's still a top flight fighter & his record is pretty much undeniable. I do believe though that his desperate 'It's just business' comment to to Khabib after getting mauled is the MMA equivalent of Kendo Nagasaki taking his mask off. Any trash talk ahead of a Cerrone fight will seem even faker & worth nothing. I do want to see Carrone get a payday though & if Conor isn't going to play at the top of the division & chase titles then why not just put him in fun fights which people will still 100% tune in for. Despite what the new owners seemingly believe, not every event needs to have a title fight at the top of the card.