McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

July always made sense for this. They always try to have something big for the July PPV. The fight will be a good one but I’m already sick of this Budweiser vs Proper Rank angle Cerrone’s milking. If that’s all we’re going to hear when they do their press conference it’ll be shit. 

Edited by wandshogun09

This is the kind of fight you want to see McG in really, isn't it? We all know the holes in his game, and know that a top class wrestler or grappler can probably best him, but what we want to see is him do his schtick before the fight (just without the really nasty racist and borderline disgusting material, he's smart enough to not need that) and get involved in a standup war with someone. 

This could have the makings of a great stand up fight. Which is why Cerrone will likely take him down immediately and submit him, right? 

It looks like McGregor and Kavanagh may have parted ways. They haven't spoken since the Khabib fight. And Conor has been seen training elsewhere. 

If you recall, Kavanagh felt that McGregor's gameplan should have been more aggressive. McGregor has recently parroted this assertion on his Instagram and made reference to an "outside influence" who influenced that approach. Conor went on to say he won't make the same mistake twice. It's possible that McGregor has latched on to Kavanagh's explanation and thrown Kavanagh under the bus in the process. 

Of course, Khabib is simply all wrong for him. Conor has the game to beat him. But more often than not, respective of his gameplan, he'll come up short. But I guess it's a way for Conor nurse his ego. I think Cerrone is a good fight for him. Cerrone has a tendency to get rocked in the early stages of fights. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Conor is able to catch him early. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, McGregor and Kavanagh have seemed a bit distant for a while now. Even before the Khabib fight I think there were a few rumblings. And this picture of McGregor training with Roan Carneiro at ATT popped up on Twitter or Instagram a month or so ago, which fuelled the rumours but it was likely a one-off as Carneiro has shot down the talk that he’s now coaching McGregor. 

28B4334F-6A52-407E-9557-2238331134DD.jpeg

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

It looks like McGregor and Kavanagh may have parted ways. They haven't spoken since the Khabib fight. And Conor has been seen training elsewhere. 

If you recall, Kavanagh felt that McGregor's gameplan should have been more aggressive. McGregor has recently parroted this assertion on his Instagram and made reference to an "outside influence" who influenced that approach. Conor went on to say he won't make the same mistake twice. It's possible that McGregor has latched on to Kavanagh's explanation and thrown Kavanagh under the bus in the process. 

Of course, Khabib is simply all wrong for him. Conor has the game to beat him. But more often than not, respective of his gameplan, he'll come up short. But I guess it's a way for Conor nurse his ego. I think Cerrone is a good fight for him. Cerrone has a tendency to get rocked in the early stages of fights. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Conor is able to catch him early.

I agree. Cowboy is a slow starter and Mcgregor is most dangerous at the start of a fight. Mcgregor wants it on the feet and Cowboy can get sucked into a brawl. It's a very good choice of opponent for Mcgregor, in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked by a first round KO at all. That'll set Mcgregor up nicely for Khabib 2.

2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I think the first part of the sentence is what is all boils down to. I think he's just trying to deflect the blame of his defeat anywhere he can, he isn't going to able to fathom that Khabib has the beating of him 9 times out of 10. You look at all of his comments and Instagram posts and the like after the fight, and he genuinely believes he's still the better fighter, and would spark him out in a rematch. He's simply refusing to acknowledge that he's in the wrong here, at all. Good luck to him - doesn't matter where he trains, he's always getting smashed by Khabib.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chunk said:

But makes mega money, does the Diaz trilogy and cashes out.

He’s already cashed out. His life changing money was made a long time ago and fights with Khabib and Diaz combined won’t equal what he made for the Mayweather fight. At this point he’s just topping that up. 

Besides, I couldn’t give a fuck about his bank balance. He’s still getting his arse kicked if he fights Khabib again. When his career is looked back on that’s what people will remember most. The fights he won and the fights he lost. Nobody ever talks about Muhammad Ali’s or Sugar Ray Leonard’s paycheques, they talk about the Thrilla In Manila and No Mas a lot though. Just like in years to come they won’t be reminiscing about that great night when Conor told his missus (who he cheats on) to break out the red panties, they’ll talk about 13 Seconds and It’s Only Business. 

4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Besides, I couldn’t give a fuck about his bank balance. He’s still getting his arse kicked if he fights Khabib again. When his career is looked back on that’s what people will remember most. The fights he won and the fights he lost. Nobody ever talks about Muhammad Ali’s or Sugar Ray Leonard’s paycheques, they talk about the Thrilla In Manila and No Mas a lot though. Just like in years to come they won’t be reminiscing about that great night when Conor told his missus (who he cheats on) to break out the red panties, they’ll talk about 13 Seconds and It’s Only Business

Yeah but this place seems to care about shite like buyrates and paycheques because it's a wrestling forum.  Fans of real sports like boxing couldn't give a tuppenny fuck about buyrates and who earned what, but wrestling fans do.

• Paid Members

True Keith and I get that to an extent. But it’s not just on here I read this type of thing. It’s pretty much everywhere that has MMA discussion, so it’s more than a pro wrestling POV. 

At some point it becomes about more than just money and whatever he says now I don’t think McGregor is going to be happy if he looks back and his career ended on going 0-2 to Khabib and possibly 1-2 to Nate. This ‘yeah he got smashed but he’s cashed up’ mentality is a bit weird to me. Of course ultimately making money should be the big focus for fighters but you also don’t want to get content with losing fights as long as you cash out. Then you become a Bob Sapp. Fuck, Mayweather is the perfect example that if it’s lots of money you want, and you are a great self promoter, if you also keep winning fights you’ll be swimming in cash the rest of your days. 

If McGregor was fighting solely for money he could’ve stopped after Mayweather. Yeah he made serious coin fighting Khabib but I don’t think he’d have taken a fight like that just for money. There’s bravado and the fighter’s pride involved. Ego. Bragging rights. When McGregor wins his fans are all over these aspects and pumping him up. When he gets battered, or is being lined up with a fight where he’s likely to get battered, they just go all ‘Yeah but he’s getting P-A-I-D! He still wins’. When he wins, winning is everything. When he loses, it’s framed as if he doesn’t care because he’s ‘considerably richer than yow’ (old school 90s Harry Enfield reference there).

Money is the biggest motivator for McGregor. Absolutely. He’s made no secret of that. But let’s not pretend it’s all he fights for. He clearly loves having the status of a top fighter, a high level hardman, a champion etc. And it obviously bothered him deeply to be publicly squashed the way he was by Khabib and exposed saying “it’s only business” mid-fight on the biggest selling UFC PPV of all time.

So if he ever fights Khabib again, and when he gets fucked up by Khabib again, you better believe it will bother him greatly. No matter how much he cashes out in the process. Another loss to Khabib would cement emphatically that he’s not the number one lightweight of his era. And for someone with the ego of McGregor who is all wrapped up in image and status, that’s going to sting for a long time. 

• Paid Members

I'm pleased McGregor has ditched Kavanagh, in truth. I think he got all he could out of it and his training partners were mainly average at that gym. It shows Conor's head is still in the game as well, I guess. You don't arse about with other gyms and what not if you're complacent and only thinking about buyrates. Obviously, the Khabib fight was a massive kick up the arse for him.

They talk about buyrates, payouts and TV ratings fleetingly on Boxing, Darts and other forums that I frequent. But it is certainly more prevalent on MMA/Pro-Wrestling hybrid forums. I don't mind learning a bit about the fight business because it allows me to understand why certain fights get made, the politics behind the scenes, etc. But I don't recall ever particularly caring about how much fighters make in terms of dollars and cents. It's certainly not something that I reflect back on. Does anyone remember how much Fedor made for beating Cro Cop in 2005? Or Anderson for beating Sonnen in 2010? 

When I think of McGregor in 20 years time, two broader themes will probably dominate. 1) McGregor's achievements and merits of a fighter. This is completely separate from the below. But as a fight fan, probably more notable. It's very doubtful that I will remember him in the vein as GSP and Jones. But I will probably rate him in the same tier as Couture, Chuck and fighters of a similar level; not the outright best in their division's history, but perhaps the best in a certain timeframe and with a collection of legitimate wins on their record.

2) His ability to galvanise the MMA community. This will somewhat include his commercial success. Not in terms of raw numbers like buyrates or paycheques, but more in terms of cultural relevance. Ali is remembered just as much for his cultural impact as he is for his boxing. McGregor isn't close to Ali in both categories, but his name has passed enough people's lips who I know to where I will remember his public stature as much as a fighter. It'll probably be the same for Anthony Joshua in 20 years. 

There is of course a real chance that the McGregor story will end in infamy. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. 

Edited by jimufctna24