McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

it just seems like the same situation for rhonda, like all that promotional work, constant interviews, doing late night talk shows thus not focusing on her training for that big fight with holly, she lost focus and got her bell well and truly rung.

then again maybe not

He's not being asked to do anything above & beyond from what I can see?

I think he is. Think about supply and demand.

Given his stature, McGregor is going to be getting a lot of media requests. Probably more than other top-flight fighters. His circumstances and schedule are unique .

• Paid Members

Come on Mike, the promotion this guy has done has gone above and beyond anyone in the history of MMA has ever done. He was absolutely frazzled and more than deserves the request he made. 

Again, he did a cracking PR job before but it wasn't entirely selfless, the benefit was mutual. Now he's the only fighter on the 200 card who doesn't have to attend the media stuff at this weekends event?  He's not being asked to do anything above & beyond from what I can see?

It's not the event that's the problem. He asked for one favour, and they've refused.

I completely agree that the benefit was mutual, but at the end of it, I think it's ok for him to reflect upon and go, christ, what I did there was far too much. I think I remember reading that for 9 months he never even got to sleep in his own bed at home because he was on jets and staying in hotel rooms flying around the world. It was the UFC who created this schedule and being the company man that he is or was, he agreed to do it. He even agreed to film a series of TUF, despite the fact he really didn't want to, as the UFC were desperate to rescue the show. Again, he agreed, at the detriment of his own physical well being. 

Really, who else in the entire company went through what he did? At the end of the day, he's an athlete Mike and imagine how that impacted on his preparation and general fitness?

• Paid Members

The very fact that he stepped up to fight on the 200 show only four months after his first fight with Nate surprised the shit out of me if i'm honest. I didn't see him coming back so early, but he's stepped up. Again.

His choice though, no? He could've taken loads of time off like Rhonda & the UFC would've been cool with it.

The guy needs time to train.

Absolutely, just like all the other fighters on this card. Good thing the events 3 months away.

If this was Jon Jones or someone else saying this people on this forum would be jumping all over them. 'Doesn't he understand how business works', 'He simply doesn't get it' etc etc. 

As it stands. He chose to sign for the fight. Knew exactly what that would entail & since changed his mind. Spat his dummy out. 'Retired'. Then said he's not retired but doesn't want to do all the things he knew he had to in the first place.

Do we all not think it's still about money now?

• Paid Members

The very fact that he stepped up to fight on the 200 show only four months after his first fight with Nate surprised the shit out of me if i'm honest. I didn't see him coming back so early, but he's stepped up. Again.

His choice though, no? He could've taken loads of time off like Rhonda & the UFC would've been cool with it.

The guy needs time to train.

Absolutely, just like all the other fighters on this card. Good thing the events 3 months away.

If this was Jon Jones or someone else saying this people on this forum would be jumping all over them. 'Doesn't he understand how business works', 'He simply doesn't get it' etc etc. 

As it stands. He chose to sign for the fight. Knew exactly what that would entail & since changed his mind. Spat his dummy out. 'Retired'. Then said he's not retired but doesn't want to do all the things he knew he had to in the first place.

Do we all not think it's still about money now?

No they wouldn't, because Jones, and no one else, has done what Mcgregor has done. 

Dana said he was pulled for not doing the press conference, Conor has said he has offered and the offer is still there to do the press conference. I don't think he's being unreasonable at all.

• Paid Members

Dana said he was pulled for not doing the press conference, Conor has said he has offered and the offer is still there to do the press conference. I don't think he's being unreasonable at all.

If that's the case, why has all this even happened? Unless Conor has been asked to do more than what was originally signed on for, its all on him really that this mess has come up.

Is the press conference hes referring too the one hes alluding too in the statement?

• Paid Members

Very interested to see how UFC / Dana react to this.

They are in a very difficult situation. They can't really win - they have two options

1) Let McGregor do whatever he wants and keep him on the card. Yes they sell more PPVs and make more money. But they risk setting a very dangerous precedent. And if McGregor loses again, which isn't outside the realm of possibility, is it worth setting that precedent? Will he remain a massive draw with two losses on the bounce to Diaz? Who knows.

2) Stand by their guns and keep him off the card, losing buys and (maybe) fans.

Glad I don't have to make the decision.

• Paid Members

I get Mike's point.

I'm all for fighters getting more money. And if anyone should be able to squeeze a bit more out of them, it's McGregor considering how big a star he's become/the business they do off his fights.

Again, it's the timing for me. If he'd said all this when the Diaz rematch was first being negotiated I'd totally get it. Asking for 10mil, trying to negotiate doing less promotional work etc. But he signed for the fight first, so you'd assume he was happy with what he was getting. The fight was official, wasn't it? To agree to the terms, which includes promoting the fight, then pull out just seems a bit weird to me. Maybe he was voicing this in the initial negotiations but regardless, at the end of it he agreed terms and signed the contract.

Whatever the case, I hope it can be resolved. Even if McGregor wants to retire after UFC 200, I'd like to see that Diaz rematch on the biggest PPV since 100 at least. It'd be cool to see Nate get that spotlight and payday as well. He won't make that kind of dough with anyone else, except maybe GSP.

• Paid Members

The crazy thing is the amount of PR he has now generated due to this fiasco, and if he's not at the Press Conference this weekend, but is still fighting at 200, he'll probably get more press than if he was there!! Everyone will just be asking Dana & Nate about Conor!

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

Whether or not you agree with him is one thing, but he just masterfully trumped Dana White's performance yesterday.

Anyway, in terms of promotion, he's done his share of promoting 200 by sitting on his phone in Iceland. I've never discussed UFC and an event more with random people than the past two days.

• Paid Members

I love that everyone's giving Nate's retirement announcement as much validity as the last time his brother retired. The funniest situation would be for Dana to agree to Conor's demands only for Nate to say 'Didn't you hear? I'm retired'.

it just seems like the same situation for rhonda, like all that promotional work, constant interviews, doing late night talk shows thus not focusing on her training for that big fight with holly, she lost focus and got her bell well and truly rung.

then again maybe not

I think it was exactly the same for Ronda, She looked exhausted 30 seconds into that fight, all she talked about in the build up was how she was looking forward to her break...all credit to Holms but she was fighting an exhausted champion

• Paid Members

It has generated more interest for UFC 200 than anything the UFC's done, that's for sure. If it wasn't for that fighter's death being brought into it, I'd be starting the think this was all a crafty ploy by Team McGregor to kick the hype into gear.

If this gets ironed out and the McGregor vs Diaz rematch ends up going ahead it'll be bigger because of this. And before McGregor announced his retirement UFC 200 was severely lacking in any type of buzz or hype really, or at least it was much less than you'd expect. This could be exactly what the show needed. It's a huge talking point for a show that wasn't really creating any.