McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Re: David, Yep, if he was anyone else he would be blasted. But he's not, and no one else is Conor McGregor.

he's looking like someone who's managed to do himself out of around $5 million, which is fucking dumb whichever way you look at it

Not if he ends up not training properly, making $5m, but then losing again.

Another loss to Diaz affects his earning potential in the longer term. And he'll make that $5m next time he fights anyway - so nothing is being left on the table at all.

• Paid Members

Re: David, Yep, if he was anyone else he would be blasted. But he's not, and no one else is Conor McGregor.

Regardless of who he is, he's looking like someone who's managed to do himself out of around $5 million, which is fucking dumb whichever way you look at it, especially for someone who bangs on about money so much.

Unless he fights again.

But he reiterated that he simply cannot break the way things work, and have worked for over 15 years. You have to promote the fight, and you have to do the boring, shitty corporate nonsense like posing for photos, working with sponsors and suchlike.

The UFC will be in quite a pickle if Dana sticks to this. 

The presence of Nate Diaz makes me think that things aren't iron-clad. While Dana stated they're looking for a new opponent, Nate pretty much shut down that possibility. If Nate "goes on vacation" - where does that leave UFC 200? Only GSP can save it from being the biggest flop in UFC history. An Aldo vs Edgar/Tate vs Nunes bill is a weak line-up for a normal PPV, let alone one that's been hyped as one of the biggest in UFC history.

Edit: Also consider that this event would flop in Vegas, where the media would be at the forefront to experience it. The pressure is on the UFC to deliver for the 200 card. Not just inside the cage, but from a commercial perspective as well. 

Edited by jimufctna24

he's looking like someone who's managed to do himself out of around $5 million, which is fucking dumb whichever way you look at it

Not if he ends up not training properly, making $5m, but then losing again.

Another loss to Diaz affects his earning potential in the longer term. And he'll make that $5m next time he fights anyway - so nothing is being left on the table at all.

Which begs the question why he wanted that fight in the first place. Virtually to a man everyone I've spoken to can't understand why he'd look to face Diaz at 170lbs again so soon after the first fight.

He takes a tough fight at a ridiculous weight within three or four months of his initial loss, at the biggest UFC show of the year where he knows he's going to be under pressure to do the mental media tour, then he starts playing silly buggers on social media, resulting in a weird, clusterfuck of a situation.

I know some people are trying to paint this as some sort of masterstroke by McGregor, as if it's all part of a masterplan, but I seriously don't see it. 

But he reiterated that he simply cannot break the way things work, and have worked for over 15 years. You have to promote the fight, and you have to do the boring, shitty corporate nonsense like posing for photos, working with sponsors and suchlike.

The presence of Nate Diaz makes me think that things aren't iron-clad. While Dana stated they're looking for a new opponent, Nate pretty much shut down that possibility. If Nate "goes on vacation" - where does that leave UFC 200? Only GSP can save it from being the biggest flop in UFC history. An Aldo vs Edgar/Tate vs Nunes bill is a weak line-up for a normal PPV, let alone one that's been hyped as one of the biggest in UFC history.

Edit: Also consider that this event would flop in Vegas, where the media would be at the forefront to experience it. The pressure is on the UFC to deliver for the 200 card. Not just inside the cage, but from a commercial perspective as well. 

From what I heard, Dana didn't seem too anxious to have Nate on the card at all. He sounded like he was saying that they're offering him the chance to remain on the card since he was already slated to be there, but that it's up to him.

I also don't think there's been as much hype from the UFC themselves for UFC 200 as they had for 100. It's a huge event, don't get me wrong, but it's on an even keel with New York in my opinion, and I wouldn't bet on it even being the biggest event of the year.

• Paid Members

From what I heard, Dana didn't seem too anxious to have Nate on the card at all. He sounded like he was saying that they're offering him the chance to remain on the card since he was already slated to be there, but that it's up to him.

I also don't think there's been as much hype from the UFC themselves for UFC 200 as they had for 100. It's a huge event, don't get me wrong, but it's on an even keel with New York in my opinion, and I wouldn't bet on it even being the biggest event of the year.

Well there was about to be 10 Million dollars of promotion when Conor was on board. Wonder if they throw all that when the money maker isn't on board.

David - I would.

It's their first event at the new arena in Vegas. They've planned an exbo and 2 supporting shows around it. It's a massive week for the UFC, and MMA in general. They need a party piece to close on. A significant fight that does justice to the occasion.

At the moment, they don't have that. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I don't always agree with David but I think a lot of what he's saying is bang on. And I'm one of the biggest McGregor fans on here. I've defended him plenty of times, in debates with David as well I think.

When it comes to fighters getting their way over promoters (whether it be money, less/more promotional, whatever) I'm usually pretty much 100% in support of the fighter. Just because most fight promoters are greedy, shady cunts who would sell their kids if it meant making a quick coin. But I find this whole thing with McGregor so strange. Like David says, McGregor in the past has been a guy who's seemed to revel in being out in front of the media. I'm sure there have been times when it's frustrated and exhausted him, as Jim referred to with the Siver fight example. But on the whole, he's been a guy who's always understood the importance of hyping a fight. In fact, I'm sure he's been vocal about it more than once, and criticising other fighters who don't do their bit to generate interest in their fights in the media. To sign to fight on a show like UFC 200, which was always going to be one of the more heavily promoted cards in UFC history, and expect to do less promotional work is very odd. The whole reason the UFC even want McGregor vs Diaz 2 on the card is because it was a rematch that everyone expected would create massive hype and deliver huge numbers in terms of PPV buys. All this retirement shit going on now will have added considerable interest to the rematch if it happens. But that's fuck all good if neither the UFC's side or McGregor's side will budge on their current stance in all this. As it stands, unless one side gives, McGregor isn't fighting any time soon and both sides will miss out on millions of dollars.

David - I would.

It's their first event at the new arena in Vegas. They've planned an exbo and 2 supporting shows around it. It's a massive week for the UFC, and MMA in general. They need a party piece to close on. A significant fight that does justice to the occasion.

Personally, I think New York will be bigger. We'll wait & see I guess.

This has been coming for a while, what with Conor chirping about posters, claiming that "he runs the show" and shit like that. he's obviously making a power play, and the UFC seem unwilling to budge. The very notion that they should just hand him the keys because he generates money is ridiculous, and isn't something that any business should ever do.

David - I would.

Personally, I think New York will be bigger. We'll wait & see I guess.

This has been coming for a while, what with Conor chirping about posters, claiming that "he runs the show" and shit like that. he's obviously making a power play, and the UFC seem unwilling to budge. The very notion that they should just hand him the keys because he generates money is ridiculous, and isn't something that any business should ever do.

It's not a case of whether New York will be bigger, It's more of a case of 200 being a massive occasion in its own right. They're probably in the same ballpark. 

McGregor has probably gotten too big for the UFC's own good. With Rousey out,and a GSP return questionable, no one else really fits the bill to headline 200 other than McGregor. In relative terms, the gap in star power between McGregor and the rest of the roster is just too vast. When the big occasions come round, the UFC needs their biggest stars headlining, or the occasion isn't done justice.

Either way it's a clusterfuck. I wouldn't want to be in Dana's shoes. 

We've seen in the past that the UFC are willing to take a short-term hit to accomplish what they want to on their own terms. If they'd caved to the Unions we'd likely have seen New York years ago, but they didn't. They took the hit and missed revenue of that market until they got into it in a way that suited them.

I think they'll take the hit on UFC 200 if need be, in order to shut Conor down a little. He'll be made aware that if he doesn't play ball then there'll be no ball. 

• Paid Members

I can see it from either side of the coin really, there has to be certain little details we know nothing about and all that but it's hard to really say who's really in the wrong here.

The mixed reaction and frenzy this has created just confirms that Conor McGregor is just on a different level to just about anyone, it's madness. 

I can see it from either side of the coin really, there has to be certain little details we know nothing about and all that but it's hard to really say who's really in the wrong here.

The mixed reaction and frenzy this has created just confirms that Conor McGregor is just on a different level to just about anyone, it's madness. 

The very idea that McGregor would be concerned about media appearances enough to cause all of this, but didn't care enough to negotiate the details before he signed the actual bout agreement tells me he's either a fucking moron or he's had a sudden change of heart when it comes to doing the media work.

• Paid Members

Or, as Supremo said before, he's avoiding coming to the States where he's more likely to be random tested.

I'm not for a second saying I think McGregor is on anything, by the way. As much as I wouldn't rule anyone out, I'd be a bit surprised if he turned out to be dirty. But this whole situation is so weird, particularly the timing of when it all happened, that I'm struggling to think of logical reasons.

Like David said, it was on the cards anyway, with McGregor seeming to be gaining more power and wanting more with each passing fight. But the timing here is weird. I still don't get why, if he was unhappy with the promotional duties expected of him, why did he sign the contract without getting that shit straightened out in the bout agreement first? And if it couldn't be agreed on and if it was that big an issue for him, just don't sign the bout agreement in the first place. To sign it and then turn around and say you don't want to do the media work, it's all just odd. And it sounds like the UFC bent over backwards to try to keep any disruption to his training to an absolute minimum. Its one thing him saying in the past that he's been burnt out with all the media work, but he's never complained to the point where I thought it'd be such an issue that he'd not fight because of it.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I'm not sure why you're still looking for a logical reason Wand?

The logic is simply power. Each side want x and y and neither of them are getting it.

It's easy saying why didn't McGregor sort this out during the contract signing, but shit changes day to day.

From the sounds of McGregor's statement it's only till he's started training that he's realised what needs to be done to achieve his goals and the mountain he has to climb.

I'm not saying that its right or wrong here, but I certainly think he's allowed to feel differently from one day to the next.

Now this is just a guess, but I highly doubt the contract details exactly what promotion is required of McGregor either.

Edited by lambyUK