McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

Wait and see is my opinion, could be clever tactics, seems weird to give "Respect to Dana and Lorenzo" along with self-confirming if it's not a done deal. Conor's not a stupid bloke either. Perhaps Conor self-confirms is just another way of getting people talking and we'll have a full confirmation later today. Which will further push publicity. 

• Paid Members

Which is kinda what I mean. Why would the UFC cave to a guy who, theoretically, could lose this fight against Nate and call it a day? All that would happen is they'd be left having set the precedent of allowing a fighter more power, which they'll have to deal with down the road.

If Conor's no longer fighting (for real, let's imagine), then they'll no doubt have similar issues with Jones, Ronda and any future stars. I can't see a company as control-hungry as the UFC allowing that to be honest.

The simple answer is money. You're probably looking at the difference of 50 to 100m if Mcgregor fights or not at UFC 200. 

In relation to Ronda, don't you actually think this was inevitably going to happen with her as well? In theory they've already given her loads of leeway accommodating her the time off doing movies in between her fight career. I'm guessing behind the scenes she's made plenty of demands in the past, and I've no doubt given the nature of her defeat against Holm, will be making plenty more upon her return. 

GSP is a another prime example of fighter power. He came out on the MMA Hour earlier in the week and basically said that the only way he agrees to return is if someone stumps up the cash for his short fall in earnings due to the reebok deal and the loss of his sponsors. Imagine if the UFC agree to this as well? Will all fighters start requesting this? The simple answer in the UFC caving to any of these people is cold hard cash. If the stars are big enough, then their demands should be met. 

The thing for me is the way he's going about it. Social media posts whilst sitting in Iceland? Trying to leverage public support to pressurise your boss into doing something? I'm not sure that's the best way to get a result you want.

And even if he does get what he wants, let's say that dc's doctor says "no dice" for July and the UFC have no other option, all he's done is sour that relationship with the company.

I'm still not convinced that he went about all of this the right way, and I'm not convinced he sat down in private and had this discussion with the UFC before blowing shit up on social media.

I think you're right about the retirement statement considering that wasn't true at all, but in this day and age, everything comes out through social media. It's the most powerful tool on the planet when it comes to marketing and PR.

I don't believe he sat down with Lorenzo et al. but if you still believe that he made that retirement statement before informing White of his requests in private (over the phone) then that really doesn't make sense or stand up to anything that's been said by White or Mcgregor. 

Edited by lambyUK

If it's not a done deal, it makes perfect sense to name check Dana and Lorenzo.

He's done it whilst they're asleep, essentially, if it's bullshit so plenty of time for fans and media to break out the party poppers.

If grumpy Danzo (like Brangelina, see) wakes up and shuts the fiesta down, they'll be the bad guys.

• Paid Members

If it's not a done deal, it makes perfect sense to name check Dana and Lorenzo.

He's done it whilst they're asleep, essentially, if it's bullshit so plenty of time for fans and media to break out the party poppers.

If grumpy Danzo (like Brangelina, see) wakes up and shuts the fiesta down, they'll be the bad guys.

If it is in fact bullshit then personally I lose a lot of sympathy with him. It won't change my opinion on whether the original requests were reasonable, but it will make me start to look at him as the boy who cried wolf.

Firstly it was the retirement statement, but given the circumstances I could forgive. But if he comes out and lies again, getting the hopes up of fans, then it will be difficult to maintain his side throughout this.

Edited by lambyUK

What he should be doing, given the sheer amount of money that he stands to miss out on (and also the money he'll cost his employer) is getting himself over to a face to face meeting with both Dana and Lorenzo and getting this shit sorted out. You know, like an actual professional would?

Sitting in Iceland posting shit on social media isn't the answer, and is starting to look a bit cringeworthy.

• Paid Members

What he should be doing, given the sheer amount of money that he stands to miss out on (and also the money he'll cost his employer) is getting himself over to a face to face meeting with both Dana and Lorenzo and getting this shit sorted out. You know, like an actual professional would?

Sitting in Iceland posting shit on social media isn't the answer, and is starting to look a bit cringeworthy.

Unless this ends up being true. Completely agree if it's a lie.

I have to say David, you really do chop and change on your opinion of Mcgregor and this debate.

The guy is just being honest here, and he has some valid points I reckon. The very fact that he stepped up to fight on the 200 show only four months after his first fight with Nate surprised the shit out of me if i'm honest. I didn't see him coming back so early, but he's stepped up. Again.

Surely Dana can see that he's going to need some time to prepare for the fight? Especially seeing (despite what any bookies will tell you) as he's an underdog in this fight? The guy needs time to train.

Fuck it, I'm a Conor fan now. He's earned my respect these past few days, so when he does return I'll be behind him 100%.

Edited by lambyUK

Yeah, that was my initial reaction. I posted that literally seconds after reading his statement. I did have sympathy for the guy, and on the face of it I still do (I actually think that he's being given bad advice). And when he does return I will be behind him 100%.

With how things have unfolded though, and the more I've thought about it, he surely had to know that these commitments were going to play a part in the fight? Did he think he'd simply avoid the press tour, show up for the fight, lose most likely, then fuck off home with $5 million in his back pocket?

If he'd made his initial point then kept quiet about it all, or made his point and then jumped on a plane to sort it all out then I'd likely still feel the same, but there's a part of me that thinks he's just being stupid now.

I have to say David, you really do chop and change on your opinion...

Mr Devil's Advocate, init.

People are allowed to change their opinion, buddy. As time goes by and more things come to light, such as Dana addressing the situation at the press conference, an opinion on the matter can change.

Like I said, I do agree with him in principle, but then there's a part of me that thinks he must have known what he'd be asked to do when he signed the bout agreement to main event UFC 200.

• Paid Members

I agree that if McGregor's only tweeted to pressurise management, that's a really stupid and dickish thing to do, even to them. I normally have no problem with the notion that any fighter might use a bit of "rough play" to force White & Fertitta's hands; the whole reason I'm with the fighters and against management in the first place is because of their own failure to things the right way by their workforce, such as forcing them to accept the Reebok deal, especially those whose contracts were in place before it. But trying to pressurise them via social media without a prior agreement (assuming that this is definitely the case) would be really shitty - Danzo are dicks but they're not cunts. Don King deserves that sort of treatment, but not the UFC.

If he's telling the truth, fair play to him - he's showing goodwill by giving them direct credit for making it happen. I really hope this is the case.

• Paid Members

People are allowed to change their opinion, buddy. As time goes by and more things come to light, such as Dana addressing the situation at the press conference, an opinion on the matter can change.

Like I said, I do agree with him in principle, but then there's a part of me that thinks he must have known what he'd be asked to do when he signed the bout agreement to main event UFC 200.

Only the press conference has happened since you made those posts though, and Dana had already come out on stating exactly the reasons why Mcgregor was pulled prior to Mcgregor's statement and the press conference. No new information came out then.  

However, I will agree that if this new message is a lie, then things are different.

Edited by lambyUK

Only the press conference has happened since you made those posts though, and Dana had already come out on stating exactly the reasons why Mcgregor was pulled prior to Mcgregor's statement and the press conference. No new information came out then.  

However, I will agree that if this new message is a lie, then things are different.

Yeah, and after the press conference did I not post saying that I was actually surprised by how much I agreed with Dana? I expected to spend an hour watching him lose his shit, screaming at Ariel Helwani for being a smug wee prick, and generally being the Dana we all know.

He didn't do that, he was reasonable. His answers and reaction to questioning in that press conference is what swayed me to be honest.

And since then, Conor's behaviour has me wondering if it's more about pushing for power just to show that he can than it is about the actual media responsibilities being a hindrance? It's went from him having a gripe that is legit on the face of it, to him looking as though he's simply playing games now.

• Paid Members

I remember that you did, and I agree, Dana did handle it well, despite looking squeamish for parts of it. He didn't shout which is to his credit and he kept his cool.

However, the promoter not screaming and shouting shouldn't really be enough to sway your opinion should it? It should be applauded, but what he came out with wasn't anything new that we didn't know previously? He already said exactly the same stuff on ESPN etc etc.

I also don't know what behaviour of Mcgregor you're referring to since the press conference? Today is the first significant thing he's done since then and IF it's a lie then fair enough David.

I understand opinions can change, but not enough has happened since you made those posts above to warrant that for me. 

Edited by lambyUK

I remember that you did, and I agree, Dana did handle it well, despite looking squeamish for parts of it. He didn't shout which is to his credit and he kept his cool.

However, the promoter not screaming and shouting shouldn't really be enough to sway your opinion should it? It should be applauded, but what he came out with wasn't anything new that we didn't know previously? He already said exactly the same stuff on ESPN etc etc.

I also don't know what behaviour of Mcgregor you're referring to since the press conference? Today is the first significant thing he's done since then and IF it's a lie then fair enough David.

I understand opinions can change, but not enough has happened since you made those posts above to warrant that for me. 

I didn't see any of the ESPN stuff. The presser was the first that I'd seen or heard from Dana since the whole thing kicked off.

It wasn't just the way he handled it either, but his answers were pretty legit. I'd also read bits & bobs from various sources that offers had been made to McGregor that would have made the whole situation much easier on him. Were these offers made to him for sure? Who knows, but you would think that if he'd asked for them he'd have likely gotten them.

I also started thinking about it more as the weekend kicked in and I had time to do so, which is where I questioned the intelligence of McGregor signing a bout agreement without raising these issues first. Surely he wasn't all that surprised when he got the list of media duties he'd be expected to fulfil? He's being doing it for a while now, so he should have known what to expect.

Why not raise these issues before signing the agreement? When was this fight announced? A few weeks ago? He can't have suddenly had a change of heart regarding media in that time, surely? 

Anyway, like I said, my opinion has changed somewhat since the fifteen minutes from him releasing his statement that I originally posted. If that's a crime, then fair enough.