McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

MMAjunkie's resident 5 chins journalist John Morgan says he's spoken to several sources saying they've to hear anything that's changed from the UFC's standpoint.

As you say though, there's still time but the more today progresses the more I'm calling bullshit. 

Edited by lambyUK

For anyone with no access the F4W boards someone claims that Conor arrived back in Ireland this morning, he wouldn't have been long back in the country when he sent the tweet out, the only way they reckon this could have been done is if they where talking whilst on the plane, someone else rightfully points out in contradiction to the John Morgan stuff that if Conor was directly talking to Lorenzo/Dana the insiders group could well be tiny.

Take that for what you will. 

I'm going to be optimistic for once, and say he's telling the truth.

Grandstanding on this level is not wise. It benefits no one. If Dana wakes up and shuts down McGregor's claims, it will be revealed to the MMA public that McGregor was the guilty party. The likes of Helwani will make sure of that. 

• Paid Members

This has done the rounds on Twitter today. If it's bullshit, this wouldn't be the first time he's spoken about a fight that wasn't happening.

7EC4F792-DDC0-46ED-AE04-50546E847AD7_zps

What happened to Diego Sanchez? I remember him as a young, fresh faced fighter. Really talented. When you google him, the images are full of shots of him with his face absolutely battered. Never did fullfil his potential.

I posted this on another forum about the whole "sets a dangerous precedent" argument.

There is always one. Messi could demand what the fuck he wanted from Barca and they would eventually cave. Michael Jordan could have demanded what he wanted and got it. Snooker has caved to Ronnie O'Sullivan on countless things.

McGregor is to MMA what all these guys are or were to their sports. They have the choice, lose mainstream coverage they've worked 25 or whatever years to get or give one guy what he wants and he will take your sport to the mainstream. There's no reason to cave to others, they're not McGregor.

Quite simply put, it sets no precedent as no-one else has the pull. This isn't your average everyday fighter, that would set a dangerous precedent.

• Paid Members

What happened to Diego Sanchez? I remember him as a young, fresh faced fighter. Really talented. When you google him, the images are full of shots of him with his face absolutely battered. Never did fullfil his potential.

Yeah, he fell in love with getting into wars. Which, on the one hand I love him for but on the other it's ruined his career. People think of Diego now as an unskilled wild brawler but he does have the skills as you say, he just neglects to use them now.

If you go back and watch his fight with Nick Diaz from 2005 or his classic with Karo Parisyan from 2006, his skill is evident. They were both amazing fights and he showed a range of skills in both. But somewhere along the line he seemed to decide that to have a great fight you have to just stand and trade. And bleed. Lots. You'd never know watching him now that he was primarily an imposing grappler coming off his win on TUF 1.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bastard. He's probably had more great fights than any other fighter on the roster. Or at least he's up there. He's been in some of my favourite fights ever. But it's come at fuck knows what cost. I dread to think what state he'll be in when he does finally retire.

He's fighting Joe Lauzon at UFC 199 in June in what's probably going to be another crazy war where he bleeds buckets. He just can't stop himself. And worryingly, no-one else can either.

It's like Jorge Gurgel.

His fights were great, not just because they were crazy brawls, but because Joe Rogan used to be pulling his hair out (if he'd had any. Who knows, maybe that's why he's bald?!), wondering why he wouldn't use his world class jits to avoid getting his face smashed in.

I posted this on another forum about the whole "sets a dangerous precedent" argument.

There is always one. Messi could demand what the fuck he wanted from Barca and they would eventually cave. Michael Jordan could have demanded what he wanted and got it. Snooker has caved to Ronnie O'Sullivan on countless things.

McGregor is to MMA what all these guys are or were to their sports. They have the choice, lose mainstream coverage they've worked 25 or whatever years to get or give one guy what he wants and he will take your sport to the mainstream. There's no reason to cave to others, they're not McGregor.

Quite simply put, it sets no precedent as no-one else has the pull. This isn't your average everyday fighter, that would set a dangerous precedent.

Neither the NBA or La Liga is a PPV entity. The money-making models are too different.

Besides, I'm pretty sure if Messi told Barcelona that he could only be arsed playing in the big games, and that when Barca were playing Osasuna or whomever that he'd stay home and Tweet about the match to his millions of followers instead that they'd say "Sure thing wee man, you're a superstar so whatever you wanna do, we'll do!"

Those players you mentioned, as well as the big shots and needle movers from most sports and entertainment are out there doing the media. They know it's required.

Also, you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that whenever those superstars from football and basketball sit down to negotiate a contract or agreement, they get it in writing exactly how many dates they have to appear at certain events. It'll all be there.

And if they don't, they probably don't fuck off home and post on Twitter that they're retiring, do they?

• Paid Members

Would it be fair to say that Nate Diaz would probably have a better record in MMA if he also wasn't so inclined to stand & bang, given his ability in BJJ?

• Paid Members

McGregor probably did more media in the build up to that last fight than Messi's done in his career. The other points, apart from the "I'm retiring" stunt don't compare. We've no idea what concessions Barca make for Messi because it's Messi. Say, paying his wages to a shadow company based in the British Virgin Islands or something.