McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

He's clearly trying to pressure UFC, so he should really stick to posting about wanting the fight so bad, rather than fabricating announcements that it's happening.

I don't think there's any question about him wanting the fight tbh. He picked that fight over defending his belt & signed the contract. It's his attempts at 'negotiating' after negotiations were completed & the deal was done that's been his downfall here.

• Paid Members

I don't disagree. My point being continually going on about wanting the fight only puts more pressure on the UFC to make the fight, as everyone wants it. McGregor also builds a degree of sympathy, which the UFC tried to eradicate. Lying about the fight being back on only shows what a pain in the arse he probably is to deal with.

• Paid Members

I thought that Whatsapp group on Kavanagh's phone being called, "Conor Trouble," went some way to indicating how difficult it likely is to work with Conor. He's undoubtedly brilliant, and he's the best thing to happen to the sport in forever, but I bet he's a right pain in the arse to manage to negotiate with.

What negotiations? It wasn't about money, that's already been established. Kavanagh said on the MMA Hour that Conor was told about the press conference(s) by UFC only about a week before they wanted him to fly over, it wasn't planned months ahead.

Something has got to give someday with the promotion UFC asks fighters to do, don't get me wrong promotion is needed but not to over do it where the fighter ends up affected by it.

Take UFC 197 this past weekend for example. On fight week just days before he took on Barboza, instead of flying straight to Vegas he was made to fly from Milwakee up to Toronto to do a full day of pointless media interviews and then fly to Vegas after that. What purpose does that serve? Even Wai Ting from the LAW (who was one of those that interviewed him) said it was a really unnecessary media day. I'm not saying it affected his poor performance on the night but it's not out of the question.

Conor's latest tweet though, I agree it's a dick move on his part trying to pressure Dana to change his mind. More of that behaviour will definitely have people losing sympathy with him.

• Paid Members

Are we now pretending that either the promo schedule was a surprise or is super gruelling? The promo work is hardly mentioned by fighters as a complaint (unlike something like the Reebok deal) as the vast majority accept it's part of the job.

Conor is the guest on 'Live! With Kelly & Michael' in the USA this morning. I doubt he'll be getting grilled about this situation given it's their equivalent of 'Good Morning' & will likely be a fluff piece, but it's funny how this appearance is OK but being in Vegas a few days ago was seemingly unreasonable?

http://livekellyandmichael.dadt.com/tag/april-25-april-29-2016/

Of course the promo schedule is gruelling, other fighters always mention it and there's is not to the same degree as he has to do.. In the past couple of days even Jones & Cormier have both said they can see where McGregor is coming from and wouldn't like to do the amount he has to do.

Well, yeah, this appearance is alright considering he's not exactly training for anything now and has free time to do so since he isn't fighting. You're trying to make something out of nothing there.

• Paid Members

Well, yeah, this appearance is alright considering he's not exactly training for anything now and has free time to do so since he isn't fighting. You're trying to make something out of nothing there. 

Isn't he? Supremo said a few posts ago he's apparently training like a beast now?

I'm not trying to make anything. Conor claimed that flying out for UFC 197 was unreasonable but is appearing on some shitty talk show a couple of days later. You think he was booked for this on a couple of days notice?

• Paid Members

Schaub said on the recent Rogan podcast that he had dinner with McGregor a few months back and McGregor mentioned how exhausting the media circus is around fight time. As Schaub mentions, media for your average fighter is one thing but for McGregor he has so much to do. While I'm sure there are maybe other factors involved, you shouldn't discount how exhausting being a sound byte machine is when dealing with so much press AND getting ready for a fight. Maybe it's as simple as McGregor feels the UFC are exploiting him so much with the press that he feels it's negating his preparation - as he puts it he's done plenty. Who's to really know?

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Isn't he? Supremo said a few posts ago he's apparently training like a beast now?

I'm not trying to make anything. Conor claimed that flying out for UFC 197 was unreasonable but is appearing on some shitty talk show a couple of days later. You think he was booked for this on a couple of days notice?

That appearance was already booked a good while back, so he's likely just fulfilling prior commitments there. 

But it's not about the media schedule, despite what anyone is saying. UFC will give him a reduced schedule which he'll happily do, since he know he has to do some media - it's about money. That's why he threatened to no-show the press conference, as a negotiating tactic that backfired. That sort of bullshit doesn't work on Lorenzo.

Edited by herbie747

The press conference was just to promote the event, no one was asked to do more interviews that was on the 200 card and I would like to see any if they were.

They may have had a word but that would have been by MMA media straight after the press conference and he could have said no to these interviews. Brock did it all the time.

Looking at the card you would probably only trust Meisha Tate or Conor McGregor or not knowing much English, to not be completely boring or brain dead in a one on one interview, maybe Frankie but he's not going to say much newsworthy.

Edited by the_mole

• Paid Members

But it's not about the media schedule, despite what anyone is saying. UFC will give him a reduced schedule which he'll happily do, since he know he has to do some media - it's about money

This was everyone's suspicion, mine included but a lot of people on here seemed to change their mind as soon as Conor posted that Facebook statement. Just believing him despite the fact he'd just pretended to retire?

That sort of bullshit doesn't work on Lorenzo.

Guy's worth over over $1.5b. In my (albeit limited) experience of dealing with mega rich people it stops being about money once they're rich & becomes about control & power. I envisage Lorenzo seeing all these people online claiming 'Conor is running the show' & seething.

• Paid Members

But it's not about the media schedule, despite what anyone is saying. UFC will give him a reduced schedule which he'll happily do, since he know he has to do some media - it's about money

This was everyone's suspicion, mine included but a lot of people on here seemed to change their mind as soon as Conor posted that Facebook statement. Just believing him despite the fact he'd just pretended to retire?

That sort of bullshit doesn't work on Lorenzo.

Guy's worth over over $1.5b. In my (albeit limited) experience of dealing with mega rich people it stops being about money once they're rich & becomes about control & power. I envisage Lorenzo seeing all these people online claiming 'Conor is running the show' & seething.

I don't even think that would bother him. I'd say it's more about McGregor's tactic of negotiating. 

Nah, I think the beef here is the fact that McGregor signed the bout agreement, they announced the fight, then he starts playing funny buggers so soon to the press conference.

No doubt it can get sorted out though, and I fully expect that we'll see Diaz vs McGregor shortly after July, which will then allow McGregor time to prepare for a title defence against the winner of Aldo/Edgar.