McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

No, it's not insane to think it, but AFAIK it's only if you're champion. And then a few other top stars too - like what they thought Overeeem was going to be when he signed; the Strikeforce Champ who had just won the K1 Grand Prix - they saw $$$ signs until the testing fiasco. And Rhonda would still be on a PPV cut now. And so will McGregor if he loses the FW title - in fact, I'd say McGregor's deal is different to everyone elses.

Highly doubt Cain, Edgar & Jose are - but none of us know for sure.

Edited by herbie747

Some guys in my IT class convinced this Floyd/Conor fight's happening, kinda shows how out of control the story's got. They also believe that Conor stands a decent chance at winning. Even as the biggest Conor mark I don't have the heart to tell them otherwise.

Edited by seanz25

Considering people seem to be taking this Floyd/Conor thing seriously, which is bonkers, let's discuss another ridiculous, impossible, bonkers scenario; imagine Conor became the 1 in 49-1.

Would that make him the most famous combat sports athlete of all time? Would it chuck him in amongst the Ali's and Tyson's of the world?

Ignoring the fact that it definitely won't happen, and even if it did Conor would have his head boxed off, that would be ridiculous.

• Paid Members

Some guys in my IT class convinced this Floyd/Conor fight's happening, kinda shows how out of control the story's got. They also believe that Conor stands a decent chance at winning. Even as the biggest Conor mark I don't have the heart to tell them otherwise.

Same here. One of my best friends keeps going on about how this fight is going to happen, because of rumours and then because of the Tweet. I keep telling him it'll never happen, because you lot don't think it will. Don't let me down MMA forum guys!!!

• Paid Members

I said the same thing to people in 2001 about the NWO - "There's no way Vince would ever have those guys back - don't be so stupid".

:unsure:

Edited by herbie747

"It's possible. It's possible. There was a name that was shot at me. But the rumors that y'all have been hearing [are] the rumors I started," Mayweather said in video posted by FightHype.com. "It may not be a rumor. Keep your fingers crossed. It may be a boxer versus an MMA fighter. So we just don't know."

Floyd knows what he's doing. I think McGregor does as well, hence the promo tweet. Both benefit from this rumour, as both are kept firmly in the headlines.

Most casual fans have taken the bait. It's the sort of thing that gets discussed at the Water Cooler on a Monday morning, and gets discussed on the "Lad Bible". I'm not looking down on casual fans, as they keep MMA ticking, but they're like shooting fish in a barrel with this sort of thing.

• Paid Members

The only way Mayweather vs McGregor happens is either...

A) If the UFC agree to it. And how likely is that? Considering the UFC and McGregor currently can't come to terms on this McGregor vs Diaz rematch, adding a greedy power hungry egomaniac like Floyd Mayweather to that mix isn't going to help. Not a bit.

Or

B) If McGregor can somehow get out of his contract with the UFC. I don't know how many fights he has left on his current contract but you know the UFC are going to fight tooth and nail to make sure their biggest star doesn't leave the fold. Didn't he renegotiate his contract after beating Aldo? I'm sure he was interviewed and he was saying he was happy with his new deal. So I guess the Nate fight in March was the first fight on that contract. If McGregor tries to get out of his contract, he's in for a lengthy court battle with the UFC, which means the fight with Mayweather would be delayed for ages anyway. And Floyd isn't getting any younger as it is.

What's most likely to happen, logically, is Mayweather uses all this to maximise the attention on himself before announcing he's coming back to fight Danny Garcia or someone. McGregor ends up getting some more money off the UFC to entice him back, and fights Diaz again in the summer.

There's way too much ego and bullheadedness between Lorenzo, Dana, McGregor, Mayweather and Team Mayweather for them ever to come to an agreement, IMO. I just can't see how it works. It'd make the UFC/Fedor and Mayweather/Pacquiao negotiations seem light and breezy in comparison.

I'm often wrong so don't quote me, but if it sounds too far-fetched in combat sports, it's probably never happening. And the UFC letting McGregor either fight Mayweather (in a straight boxing match!) while under contract, or letting him out of his contract, seem massively far-fetched.

It's not happening. I'd be fucking amazed if it does somehow. Just a PR thing from Floyd. I'm expecting him to announce any day now that he's fighting someone like Garcia or even Canelo/Pacquiao again and blatantly laughing that he used McGregor to play the media and that he's 'not fighting no MMA bums'.

On the bus this morning I had to listen to some secondry school lad tell his mates how this fight is going to happen "1000% for certain and my brother does MMA and he said its gonna be a boxing match but in a cage".

I don't think it's completely impossible, it's unlikely, very unlikely. But I'm pretty sure if Dana and Co could get shit ironed out then they'd want to have UFC behind and promoting the biggest fight ever, for legacy, money, if they do plan to sell on in the future etc..

But I think they'll wanna cash in more on Conor yet before they go down that route. If he gets beat again his value seriously diminishes.

Even if both McGregor and Mayweather actually were interested in making it happen, the big sticking point would be the promotional aspect. There's not a hope in hell that Mayweather comes into such a bout simply as a fighter, he'll be wanting co-promotional dibs. And what's the chance of McGregor accepting a paycheque from the UFC and being happy with that? Add the fact that the UFC co-promote with no one into the mix? Nah.

McGregor really should concentrate on his training and promoting a fight that could actually happen. He's getting boring now.

McGregor really should concentrate on his training and promoting a fight that could actually happen. He's getting boring now.

To be fair, he didn't start this one. Mayweather did. All McGregor did was fan the flames a bit on Twitter. 

To be fair, he didn't start this one. Mayweather did. All McGregor did was fan the flames a bit on Twitter. 

Still, it's time to get back to actual fighting and promoting real fights.

See McGregor's got some security guards for some death threats he's received, fair enough if it's a short term thing but hopefully he doesn't fall in to the trap that hundreds of boxers have.

You pay about 20 people to hang around you all day basically just being paid to be friends and run the odd favour, you pay some of these people to be your body guards when you are a great fighter yourself and all your doing is stopping fans getting close, you retire and these hangers on still stick around until you can't afford to pay them and now you're skint and have to make a comeback and those hangers on try and get back in with you.