McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

I would love to have a response, but I honestly don't know what you're talking about?

Seriously? You read my detailed reply to you and you don't know what I'm talking about? Come on man.

Yep, "focusing on minute details". No idea what that means. 

I would love to have a response, but I honestly don't know what you're talking about?

Seriously? You read my detailed reply to you and you don't know what I'm talking about? Come on man.

Yep, "focusing on minute details". No idea what that means. 

Your response "well, I don't need to tell you because McGregor already has".

What does that even mean? You have to know how stupid that sounds? You're not an idiot, Lamby, come on man.

The point I'm making is that virtually every fighter goes through around 12 weeks of a training camp, and throughout that camp is media appearances and suchlike. It's part of the job, and something that Conor was happy to do before.

I'm not literally asking if Conor thinks he has enough time to prepare!  :laugh:

The point I'm making is that virtually every fighter goes through around 12 weeks of a training camp, and throughout that camp is media appearances and suchlike. It's part of the job, and something that Conor was happy to do before.

Conor has to do a lot more than other fighters though. As I've said previously, it's supply and demand. Mighty Mouse and others aren't requested by media outlets as often as McGregor is. Nowhere near in fact. Check the build up for McGregor vs Diaz - the pair were everywhere.  Plus, McGregor has been happy with it in the past. Something I also mentioned previously.

McGregor's potential failing here is that he's probably gone about things in the wrong way. He's within his rights to ask for the UFC to go easy on the media requests, but turning events into a public showcase could very well backfire on him in a big way. We'll find out in the coming days if that's the case. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

It means exactly how it's written David. The point I'm making is that Mcgregor has come out and clearly said what he needs in order to achieve the next goal he has ahead of him.

He's burnt out, and you've asked "You're telling me that the fight is announced on March 31st, taking place on July 9th, and he can't do media on April 22nd or whenever it was?". The answer is, from Mcgregor's own mouth, he can't. 

I don't know what it's like to be in his shoes, and even you said after reading his statement that it came across as very genuine. I'm choosing to believe the guy is telling the truth here. 

Edited by lambyUK

It means exactly how it's written David. The point I'm making is that Mcgregor has come out and clearly said what he needs in order to achieve the next goal he has ahead of him.

He's burnt out, and you've asked "You're telling me that the fight is announced on March 31st, taking place on July 9th, and he can't do media on April 22nd or whenever it was?". The answer is, from Mcgregor's own mouth, he can't. 

I don't know what it's like to be in his shoes, and even you said after reading his statement that it came across as very genuine. I'm choosing to believe the guy is telling the truth here. 

See, I'd probably be more inclined to agree if he hadn't said that he's "paid to fight, and isn't paid to promote", as that suggests that an extra zero at the end of his paycheque would see him regain his enthusiasm for the media responsibilities.

• Paid Members

See, I'd probably be more inclined to agree if he hadn't said that he's "paid to fight, and isn't paid to promote", as that suggests that an extra zero at the end of his paycheque would see him regain his enthusiasm for the media responsibilities.

Bizarrely it was the one thing I didn't completely agree with in his statement. For most fighters he's right since they aren't on anything but show and win money. 

However, Mcgregor (along with other big stars) are paid a PPV %. Hence the more he promotes, the more people will pay for the event, and thus more money in his pocket.

That said, I think you're looking at that comment a bit cynically. Imagine if that Aldo fight never actually happened? Say Aldo retired early due to injury. He spent god knows how many hours in a plane flying around the world and for what? He received no payment for doing that.

Whilst I see what you're saying that IF he was paid more, would he have turned up, but the way I see is that the fact of the matter fighters are not, and it's this reason why he needs to focus on how he performs on fight night for the first time in his career.

Edited by lambyUK

Bizarrely it was the one thing I didn't completely with in his statement. For most fighters he's right since they aren't on anything but show and win money. 

However, Mcgregor (along with other big stars) are paid a PPV %. Hence the more he promotes, the more people will pay for the event, and thus more money in his pocket.

That said, I think you're looking at that comment a bit cynically. Imagine if that Aldo fight never actually happened? Say Aldo retired early due to injury. He spent god knows how many hours in a plane flying around the world and for what? He received no payment for doing that. Whilst I see what you're saying that IF he was paid more, would he have turned up, but the way I see is that the fact of the matter fighters are not, and it's this reason why he needs to focus on how he performs on fight night for the first time in his career.

Nah, again, someone like DJ is "paid to fight", which is why he earns around $200,000 per fight.

Conor McGregor gets paid those $5 million paycheques because he promotes his fights. We've all said that before, haven't we? If a fighter wants to earn the big bucks they need to go out and make it happen, right?

I've listened to everyone bang on about how he's the only one who "gets it" and the one who's out there making it happen, and now he can't attend a press conference three months out from a fight?

He's at it. He tried to make a power play, in the hope that the UFC would either fling him some cash or bend the knee, and it hasn't happened.

• Paid Members

Nah, again, someone like DJ is "paid to fight", which is why he earns around $200,000 per fight.

Conor McGregor gets paid those $5 million paycheques because he promotes his fights. We've all said that before, haven't we? If a fighter wants to earn the big bucks they need to go out and make it happen, right?

I've listened to everyone bang on about how he's the only one who "gets it" and the one who's out there making it happen, and now he can't attend a press conference three months out from a fight?

He's at it. He tried to make a power play, in the hope that the UFC would either fling him some cash or bend the knee, and it hasn't happened.

Fair point. But look at someone like Anderson Silva. He was paid huge sums of cash, but did virtually no promotion. His fighting is what sold the PPV's, eventually anyway. 

Edited by lambyUK

Fair point. But look at someone like Anderson Silva. He was paid huge sums of cash, but did virtually no promotion. His fighting is what sold the PPV's, eventually anyway. 

That's because Anderson was an all-time great in the octagon. McGregor, despite being very good, isn't quite at that level.

If he wants paid, he needs to do what he does best. His antics over the past week or so have been cringeworthy, despite what some fanboys may say.

He's shown himself up to be a bit of a fucking idiot, retiring, then unretiring, then announcing that he's fighting at UFC 200 only for the promoter to shoot him down in flames and make him look like a dick.

In a few weeks when the dust clears and he's announced to fight on another card, let's hope he has the sense to check the small print of his bout agreement before signing up.

• Paid Members

If he wants paid, he needs to do what he does best. His antics over the past week or so have been cringeworthy, despite what some fanboys may say.

If he's not on the card, I'd agree. If he is, he's generated monumental publicity for absolutely zero cost. Whether he's planning it or just winging it, it's genius.

Agree with the point someone made earlier though, it only matters if he's on the show. UFC 200 trending means nothing if the big star isn't fighting.

Seems he is back in Ireland - well, John K is anyway:

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/724624710714155008

Jammy bastard. I fucking love cheese!

Edited by tiger_rick

Right up until that press conference started on Friday night I assumed he was going to appear, grinning like a goon and talking about how he'd had "a sit down with Lorenzo, and sorted it all out" or something to that effect. Maximum publicity, plus he'd still have been on the card.

No idea what he's hoping to accomplish now to be honest.