McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Plus, it gives Conor something of an excuse when Nate most likely beats him again. He can claim to be burnt out, jaded and that kind of thing.

Not if he doesn't do all the usual press and gets to focus on his training - then he has no excuses if he loses.

• Paid Members

Plus, it gives Conor something of an excuse when Nate most likely beats him again. He can claim to be burnt out, jaded and that kind of thing.

Quite the opposite actually. He's put that down as the excuse for the first fight and said he wants to train properly this time. So he's actually taking away his excuse.

• Paid Members

I get Mike's point.

I'm all for fighters getting more money. And if anyone should be able to squeeze a bit more out of them, it's McGregor considering how big a star he's become/the business they do off his fights.

Again, it's the timing for me. If he'd said all this when the Diaz rematch was first being negotiated I'd totally get it. Asking for 10mil, trying to negotiate doing less promotional work etc. But he signed for the fight first, so you'd assume he was happy with what he was getting. The fight was official, wasn't it? To agree to the terms, which includes promoting the fight, then pull out just seems a bit weird to me. Maybe he was voicing this in the initial negotiations but regardless, at the end of it he agreed terms and signed the contract.

Whatever the case, I hope it can be resolved. Even if McGregor wants to retire after UFC 200, I'd like to see that Diaz rematch on the biggest PPV since 100 at least. It'd be cool to see Nate get that spotlight and payday as well. He won't make that kind of dough with anyone else, except maybe GSP.

He's not asked for more money Wand. The 10m is newspaper. He's just asked to do less promo.

Edited by lambyUK

If any good has come out of McGregor's statement - it's that he's open to the Diaz match-up still happening. UFC 200 really needs that fight to headline. I can't see them pulling anything else out of the bag. 

The only alternative Main Event I can think of is GSP vs Nate Diaz. Or perhaps they will rest Woodley, and have Lawler face GSP. Anything else would not be worthy of the occasion. 

• Paid Members

He's not asked for more money Wand. The 10m is newspaper. He's just asked to do less promo.

Righto. Apologies, I'm all over the shop with my MMA news at the moment.

I wonder if they wanted to do another World Media Tour like the original Aldo vs McGregor tour last summer. I bet it was something like that, being UFC 200 they'll be wanting to push the boat out. That Aldo-McGregor tour sounding fucking brutal, to be fair. And that's on top of all the other media commitments.

Not if he doesn't do all the usual press and gets to focus on his training - then he has no excuses if he loses.

We'll see what people are saying online if he gets scudded again. I guarantee, it'll be used as an excuse. He's already laid the foundation of not being able to concentrate enough to rectify the issues that cost him last time. 

I really like what he's written about getting back to basics there but at the end of the day it's the press conferences and world tours that got McGregor where he is now, more so than his fighting skills. He wasn't complaining on the way up when he was calling Aldo a bitch and a pussy in every country and of course, we all lapped it up. 

Why on earth does he need nearly 3 months to prepare for Diaz? Diaz only needed a week's notice to beat him. I may as well take my Conor McGregor Stay Ready hoodie to the Spastic Society in the morning. 

• Paid Members

If nothing else, he has made himself and this show feel fucking massive now. If they put him back on the card this will easily break records. He's done a masterful job at making himself the ultimate babyface.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here but it wasn't just one press conference he was asked to do, Dana even said it himself in an interview with Cormier and Stann on UFC Tonight (video on FS1 Facebook page). He said Conor was asked to fly to Vegas, New York AND Stockton to do press conferences.

Now that does seem excessive to do two & a half months before the fight, when fighters are typically already in camp.

Total guesswork, but I reckon one was planned which Conor was going to go to and then they decided on adding more after it was all agreed to - leaving McGregor pissed off. Wouldn't surprise me.

It's not as if the UFC haven't been trying to accommodate McGregor either if reports are to be believed;

The UFC told Conor it was willing to move mountains to accommodate the fighter during the UFC 200 media tour. 

Not only did UFC offer to fly Conor to every destination on a top-of-the-line private jet, but also offered to ship out every single piece of his gym equipment from Iceland to Vegas for this weekend's media event so there wouldn't be a kink in Conor's training. 

We're told McGregor was told his gym would be set up identically to his Iceland training center and it would all be ready to go the second he stepped off the plane.

I see the regulations are why he backed off the retirement claims sharpish as well, where he has to wait four months before fighting if he announced an official come back?