McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

Tweeted 4mins ago...

Conor McGregor ‏@TheNotoriusMMA  4m

4 minutes ago

I will not retire it was all just a prank! See you guys at #UFC200 @NateDiaz209 I'm coming for you! (Happy #420 btw.) #ufc #mma #mcgregor

8 retweets12 likes

Re

[/size]

Mor

That's a fake twitter account

Tweeted 4mins ago...

Conor McGregor ‏@TheNotoriusMMA  4m

4 minutes ago

I will not retire it was all just a prank! See you guys at #UFC200 @NateDiaz209 I'm coming for you! (Happy #420 btw.) #ufc #mma #mcgregor

8 retweets12 likes

Re

[/size]

Mor

That's a fake twitter account

• Paid Members

I can't see that anywhere..

Except on his twitter account?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriusMMA

Fuck knows what the hell is going on.

That looks like a fake account to me. Check the spelling of Notorious, and check the link to his official twitter.

Jesus David, you're right. I didn't even check the spelling, just clicked on the link above. Well spotted. Sorry Daz.

Edited by lambyUK

I can't see that anywhere..

Except on his twitter account?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriusMMA

Fuck knows what the hell is going on.

That looks like a fake account to me. Check the spelling of Notorious, and check the link to his official twitter.

Jesus David, you're right. I didn't even check the spelling, just clicked on the link above. Well spotted.

The only reason I spotted it was because I actually had McGregor's official Twitter open in another browser at the time! It does look legit though, whoever has made it has done their work!

• Paid Members

What a bellend am i!  Apologies!  I fucking hate Twitter for stuff like that - sorry all!! - Saw #UFC200 trending and was checking on the fly at work.  

Not the first time i've fallen for something like that in a rush, I hate that - I once got a tweet from National Football League and was giddy till I logged on and saw that was the username, and the handle was something like @tonygridiron3.

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

Pretty crazy new to get up to. I reckon McGregor's bottled it. Knowing he'll have to do a load of press ahead of 200 where the focus won't purely be people kissing his arse, his ego couldn't face answering questions about what he'll do differently to avoid a 2nd loss on the bounce & having Nate sat opposite saying he's going to school him again, make him his bitch again etc.

Doubt he's retired though, just throwing a bit of a paddy.

That's an interesting point as well Mike. Mcgregor wouldn't be able to use any of his old spiel given what happened in the first fight. He would try his best, but there would be an easy out for Diaz everytime and would just result in Mcgregor not being able to say fuck all.

It really depends on what the real story is. If it's Mcgregor is not in the right frame of mind to do promotion due to the death of a fighter then I sympathise. I would also sympathise if he feels exhausted as a result of the 2 years he's had. Genuinely, has their ever been a fighter who's been on a constant 2 year promotional campaign, on top TV shows, reality shows like he has been? If he's got to the point where he feels that to excel in this next fight he must put training first for the first time since he's been competing in the UFC. 

However, if it ends up being Mcgregor has just come and said he just can't be arsed and is refusing to do any promotion whatsoever, then UFC really had to stick to their guns. 

The irony is, this fight doesn't need much promotion at all. It sells itself. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

He loves his brick, for sure.

I've heard and read tons of theories as to why, but it really could be anything. As David rightly points out, him leaving a big cheque on the table is very unlike McGregor, going by what he's said only a few months ago.

Powerful move however. He's potentially ruined their biggest show ever.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeh, the more i think about it the more i realise it has to be all money/power related. Has to be.

Conor tweeted something a day ago of him im in training with the quote "hungry like day 1". He just doesn't to be the type of guy to break due to mental fatigue.

• Paid Members

I don't get this accusation that he doesn't want to face the press with questions about his loss etc. He was everywhere after his loss, he didn't do a Rousey and go into hiding.

I don't think it's necessarily not wanting to face the press, more so what can he actually say now?  

As Kevin Iole put in his article, I just don't think Mcgregor could be arsed with hoping on a flight from Iceland to New York, then New York to Vegas, then repeat the same trip on the way back. He would lose at least 2 full days from his training camp whilst his opponent would be back in his gym within a few hours. 

He's played his card, and now he has to stand by it. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

As Kevin Iole put in his article, I just don't think Mcgregor could be arsed with hoping on a flight from Iceland to New York, then New York to Vegas, then repeat the same trip on the way back. He would lose at least 2 full days from his training camp whilst his opponent would be back in his gym within a few hours. 

That can't be the real reason. Gomi & Aldo are on the card, they'd be flying across too. Plus, the event is 3 months away! It's not like he's taken the fight on two weeks notice & these 2 gym days are crucial?

• Paid Members

That can't be the real reason. Gomi & Aldo are on the card, they'd be flying across too. Plus, the event is 3 months away! It's not like he's taken the fight on two weeks notice & these 2 gym days are crucial?

I think there's a very good possibility of it being true Mike, simply because it may have come down to a power thing. Mcgregor didn't want the agro, gave them the ultimatum, and the UFC didn't buckle. 

I also doubt Gomi would be flying across ( I maybe wrong?). They don't normally have the prelim fights turn up for pressers. Aldo, yes, but i'm guessing he would be on a direct flight which is a lot easier than the than the tedious requirement of a change of flights.

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

I don't get this accusation that he doesn't want to face the press with questions about his loss etc. He was everywhere after his loss, he didn't do a Rousey and go into hiding.

I don't think it's necessarily not wanting to face the press, more so what can he actually say now?

He's played his card, and now he has to stand by it.

The problem there is that all this press sort of stuff will have been in the contract Conor signed when they made the fight, he cant simply refuse to do it because he cant be bothered.

Theres a good video on MMA Fighting, an interview between Ariel and Luke Thomas. Ariel seems to think its all linked to death of that young fighter in Ireland. He doesn't confirm it, but he says most sources seem to relate back to that.

You beat me to it Mike , but like you say, why not start his fight camp a week later? UFC 200 is a long way off and it's not as if he needs to cut weight for it.

He's headlining the biggest PPV in the company's history, he should be there to promote it. It's press conferences like the one at the weekend that have made him what he is in the UFC, probably more so than his skills in the Octagon. 

I really hope he doesn't retire though! 9 times out of 10 I will go to bed and record UFC but I'll always stay up for the ones he headlines along with Jones and Lawler. I can't deny I've been disappointed with the direction his career has gone since the Aldo win. It feels like a bit of a circus. Hopefully he takes some well needed time out, enjoys his money and gets back to smashing Featherweights asap.

I agree with the theory there is more to this than both sides are letting on. 

Sucks for me. At least you all have a Kimbo fight to look forward to.

Difference.

Kimbo's fight is just a bit of harmless fun. As much as I enjoy his fights, I don't take them at all seriously.

McGregor vs Diaz 2 not only had the spectacle aspect, but the sporting aspect as well. Both are world-class fighters, and I was intrigued as to how the rematch would play out. .