UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he loses again at 170, I can't see them giving him anymore at that weight at least until he's done something as champion at Featherweight. I know he's only been the champ for three months, but if the Diaz rematch does happen at UFC 200, then surely he'll be made to defend the Featherweight belt after that in December or January

• Paid Members

Let's say McGregor loses again in similar fashion to Diaz at 170lbs at UFC 200. How many times can he lose before his star starts to fade?

Yeah it wouldn't do anything good for him, obviously. Look at Brock Lesnar. I can't be arsed to look up the PPV numbers now but he went from drawing a million plus with Mir and Carwin, then that one brutal beatdown from Cain and his next fight against Overeem did considerably less than you'd have thought a Lesnar vs Overeem fight would do. Sure it did 500-600K, which by today's standards, or even back then really, is very strong. But for Brock Lesnar it was a bit lacklustre when he'd been pulling in anywhere between something like 800K-1.6mil previously. There were other factors of course but I do think the loss to Cain, and in particular the manner in which he lost, harmed his drawing power. I think he'd have probably been able to claw it back at some point, especially if he'd returned after an extended time away, but we'll most likely never know now.

McGregor is a different thing and this loss to Nate alone won't harm him too much. But yeah, if he loses twice to the same guy, a guy who's been inconsistent at a lower weight, it won't be good. It'll never completely shut down the McGregor show. He's too good a talker, too big a character, too exciting a fighter and too polarising a personality to drop too far. But he'd have to do some rebuilding. Worst case scenario he ends up as a Chael Sonnen type. A guy who will line up fight after fight and promote the fuck out of them, but losses will keep him from the very top. Now he's already way surpassed Chael in the cage, I know, just saying the worst case scenario is probably that he ends up settling at about the Sonnen level eventually. I think he'll stay higher than that but that's as low as I can see him dropping.

His insane self confidence might actually be his own worst enemy, to be honest. If he'd stay in the right weight class I think he will be fine. But if he insists on taking the ballsy but risky challenges at higher weights it could really fuck him up long term. It's the thing BJ Penn did. If BJ Penn stayed at 155 his whole career and had McGregor's work ethic, I think he'd have been champion for fucking years. But he was obsessed with fighting every cunt on the planet, especially if they were bigger than him.

Tyson vs Holyfield 1 - 1.5 million buys.

Tyson vs Holyfield 2 - 2 million buys.

Different times, different fighters, different sports. However, there is a direct parallel. Even though McGregor's aura took a serious knock by losing to Diaz, people tend to be willing to pay to see a fighter regain their aura. Especially against the guy they lost it against. Usually the fighter in question only gets one shot at reclaiming their aura before their appeal starts to wane slightly. 

I really hope McGregor wins the rematch. Not just because he's my current favourite fighter, but the wider appeal of the sport partially hinges upon. I love the feeling of a proper big fight and one that taps into the mainstream. The sort of fight that is on everyone's lips. It really adds to the spectacle. Only McGregor and Rousey create that sort of buzz. The difference is that there is a feeling that the Rousey era is coming to an end. I expect her to fight again, but only a few times, and I have serious doubts as to whether she can get her title back. McGregor potentially has years left in the game, and provided he is successful, could take MMA to places its not been before. 

Tyson vs Holyfield 1 - 1.5 million buys.

Tyson vs Holyfield 2 - 2 million buys.

Different times, different fighters, different sports. However, there is a direct parallel. Even though McGregor's aura took a serious knock by losing to Diaz, people tend to be willing to pay to see a fighter regain their aura. Especially against the guy they lost it against. Usually the fighter in question only gets one shot at reclaiming their aura before their appeal starts to wane slightly. 

I really hope McGregor wins the rematch. Not just because he's my current favourite fighter, but the wider appeal of the sport partially hinges upon. I love the feeling of a proper big fight and one that taps into the mainstream. The sort of fight that is on everyone's lips. It really adds to the spectacle. Only McGregor and Rousey create that sort of buzz. The difference is that there is a feeling that the Rousey era is coming to an end. I expect her to fight again, but only a few times, and I have serious doubts as to whether she can get her title back. McGregor potentially has years left in the game, and provided he is successful, could take MMA to places its not been before. 

If GadMania wasn't your sig, I'd be singing more praises for this post.

• Paid Members

Conor's teammate Chris Fields was on off the ball last night; he said that he wouldn't be surprised if something came out that there was something wrong with McGregor the night of the Diaz fight. Also that the rematch isn't confirmed for 170, and could be at 155.

Conor's teammate Chris Fields was on off the ball last night; he said that he wouldn't be surprised if something came out that there was something wrong with McGregor the night of the Diaz fight. Also that the rematch isn't confirmed for 170, and could be at 155.

If there was, fair play to Conor for not using it as an excuse.

I'm not sure Nate gets it as much as we thought, either that or he's angling for more money. In an interview he has apparently said 'why should McGregor get a rematch from me when Aldo didn't get one from him!'.

Weird.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure Nate gets it as much as we thought, either that or he's angling for more money. In an interview he has apparently said 'why should McGregor get a rematch from me when Aldo didn't get one from him!'.

Weird.

Yeah, that makes literally no sense.

The only way that could make sense is if he was pushing for a title fight. But we know he's not. He's interested in money fights. He said so himself!

Remember this is a guy who signed a contract extension that paid him less than he normally made, this was before he fought Benson Henderson and was number one contender.

He may have gotten a large signing bonus or would have his money rise after every win but he lost several fights in a row and wasn't getting much more than start up fighters.

I don't know if he has a new manager but his old one was fond of calling his white friends Niger on Twitter, so he's not exactly the smartest guy.

Archived