UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

And create an interim belt after 6 months just because it's Mcgregor & it's cool to hate on him? That's a new level of haters right there. Aldo took 13 months off after the first mendes fight & wasn't stripped.

That aimed at me?! Im as big a Conor nut-hugger that there is on here.

The difference between Aldo and Conor's situation with regards to the belt is that Conor's simply choosing not to defend rather than not being able to defend. In that instance i think an interim title is a logical thing to do. By the time Conor actually defends his belt (thats if he ever does), it'll be close to a year where the belt was uncontested, and if he doesn't go back to 145 there's a champion already in place.

I wouldn't be totally against an interim title, if it stopped the whining and got Edgar and Aldo back to the table. Plus, belt v belt fights always make for good posters, and may actually provide Edgar (if he wins) a little bit of box office spice to help the eventual showdown.

• Paid Members

McGregor's not choosing not to defend, though. He's just choosing different times to what others would like. As long as it's within a period of time shorter than that required to warrant an interim champion, I don't see a problem. In fact, he still has time to defend the FW belt within a period shorter than the average gap between Aldo defences.

Question: if a champ who hadn't moved up a weight decided to fight in a non-title bout (rare as such things are), would he draw the same censure?

Question 2: if the match with RDA had gone ahead and McGregor had won the LW belt, would he draw the same censure for failing to defend one of the two belts because he was defending the other? What would be the fair thing to do in terms of match-making for him to hold on to both belts?

Question 3: it's been 3 months, during which time Edgar's been injured, and McGregor has taken one of the biggest beatings he's ever had. How soon should he have announced that he'd be fighting Edgar to avoid people talking about creating an interim belt?

An interim title after three months? Fucking hell, that would be ridiculous.

Saying that, it'll have been seven months since the title was defended when UFC 200 rolls around, and I don't see McGregor heading back down if he beats Nate. 

If he loses in similar fashion to before then I honestly believe the title defense against either Aldo or Edgar will have lost a lot of its lustre anyway, which is maybe why Edgar is losing his shit a bit.

Conor's next level. Conor to work a double shift. Two fights. Problems solved.

Maybe he snorts 10 lines before he fights his 2nd bout to? Fuck's a couple of hookers, that'll effect his energy. Imagine Mike Goldberg cutting to live shot's of that in-between rounds. You could have Cocnor poking his head from underneath the sheets, wink at the camera and Goldberg could just say "The notorious one fights again, later tonight."

• Paid Members

It looks like Eddie Alvarez has 'announced' he'll be fighting Dos Anjos for the lightweight title at 200.

Good fight.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but the tweet he sent out could be interpreted as what he hopes to happen rather than what is.

If I happens I can't see anything but an RDA win.

Is there any chance of a throwback undercard match? A couple of old names they can dig up for a one off throwaway match?

After watching the Dada/Kimbo stuff they'll have to be careful if they go that route.

Realistically though - Where does a throwback match make it's way onto the main card? I don't think it does in which case is it needed?

2/3 Title Fights, GSP return, Cain/Browne and CM Punk's debut. Already plenty. I doubt they will but could throw a title fight ie the women's bout or something on prelims. Entice way more than normal to watch prelims and then try have Rogan/Dana capitlise on a load of 50/50 customers. I don't think will happen though.

• Paid Members

An interim title after three months? Fucking hell, that would be ridiculous.

Saying that, it'll have been seven months since the title was defended when UFC 200 rolls around, and I don't see McGregor heading back down if he beats Nate.

The bottom bit is exactly my point. Create an interim champion in the mean time and then if McGregor does go back to 145lb you sell as Conor going back down to rightfully re-claim the division. Plus it also locks in who gets that crack at Conor when he does go back down.

Anyone else not give a shit about GSP?

No finish in 7 years, got battered in his last fight and went running.

I'm no MMA fan, I certainly come under the UFC fan bracket as i would never watch another promotion. But I've zero interest in GSP.

Archived