UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i find it weird that the UFC are putting so many big guns on shows just before 200, i'd have thought Anderson would have been a shoe-in for 200 but they've just announced him for 198. It leads me to believe that the UFC are definitely pulling Ronda, GSP out of the hat for this one, along with Conor. That's the 3 biggest PPV draws in the companies history on one show.

Well it's 4 months away and they have cards to fill & a lot of guys ready.

And Anderson isn't as much of a draw any more. 2 losses to Weidman, a boring decision against Diaz, busted for PEDs, then a loss to Bisping - the luster is gone for the most part. There have been 5 second bursts of brilliance (or ninja-hand type stuff) in the Diaz & Bisping fights that never really amounted to anything.

Add to that Anderson's still a draw in Brazil and like I keep saying they've got a stadium to fill. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i agree with all of that, and seeing him fight in front of 40,000 Brazilians is gonna be a treat, im just wondering how they are gonna stack the deck at 200. Maybe it wont end up as star studded as we're all hoping.

• Paid Members

i agree with all of that, and seeing him fight in front of 40,000 Brazilians is gonna be a treat, im just wondering how they are gonna stack the deck at 200. Maybe it wont end up as star studded as we're all hoping.

That's exactly how I feel about it. Doing 3 title fights on the card will go some way towards hiding the fact that they don't have anything the size of a Mcgregor / RDA (first time around) or a Rousey / Holm 2 to put on it.

I think we're likely to end up with:

Connor v Frankie

GSP's return Nate looking most likely

Holm v Meisha

Cain v Travis

CM Punk Debut.

It's pretty strong if that's roughly the outcome.

Right now the card's strength to me hangs in the balance of a GSP return and the CM Punk debut, unless they pull something else out the bag,

• Paid Members

I definitely buy into the idea that they were planning on McGregor vs. GSP until Nate ruined everything by winning. It made all the sense in the world. Your current biggest star moves up to 170 and then your previous biggest star, who also fights at 170, suddenly makes a super rare live appearance on the show? Everything seemed perfect for that announcement to be made at the post-fight press conference had Conor won by KO.

What they do now is anyone's guess. McGregor vs. Edgar seems to be the headliner on most people's fantasy cards. Selfishly though, as such a Conor fanboy, I'd rather they did the Aldo rematch, just because I think it's an easier fight for Conor. Two straight losses would be crushing! I also heard them make an excellent point on this week's MMA Beat; if New York becomes a reality next week then it might be worth holding off on the Edgar title shot until later in the year and putting it in Madison Square Garden to get the local publicity. Conor vs. Frankie in New York would be huge. Maybe even bigger than UFC 200.

If Geroges is on board, and the way they're booking all of their main stars suggests he is, I guess it's up to him. He can either go for the title against Robbie Lawler or fight Nate Diaz. Arguably, given his current momentum, the Diaz fight is probably the bigger fight. Probably the easier fight too. Georges already knows how to beat a Diaz brother. He made it look easy.

If Georges doesn't fight Lawler then I see no better option than Lawler vs. Condit 2. That fight was so fucking awesome and I don't care how long Woodley has waited. That's the fight I want to see and I think that's the fight that makes the most sense for the big show. A rematch of one of the greatest fights of all time. That one shot of them both holding themselves up on the cage at the end of round five is one of the most iconic scenes ever. Fucking amazing.

And speaking of rematches, I wouldn't put it past them to be blinded by the money UFC 196 made and consider doing a rematch between Conor and Nate, maybe at 155. Not only would it make business sense, but I hear that's a fight Conor has spoken in public about wanting recently. What Conor wants, Conor gets, after all.

I think any talk of a Ronda fight is silly. Her schedule simply doesn't make it possible.

Hope everything is okay with wand. Such a big event deserves his input! His write ups are the best.

For me Ronda or GSP. Minimum one of them's on this card in addition to all the others. 

I swear I'd heard Dana say Ronda's movie schtuff got put back to Nov/Dec and she'd texted saying she was back training. Hence why I still keep spouting that she may well fight on the card. 

• Paid Members

I think any talk of a Ronda fight is silly. Her schedule simply doesn't make it possible.

I thought the latest news was that things had changed and she'd declared herself free and available. That's the only reason I included her on my card.

Edit: what Sean said.

• Paid Members

Does anyone have a link or source for Ronda's schedule changing? The last I heard was she has three shoots back to back starting in May.

Can't find one now. I read it here.

• Paid Members

While a Tate or Holm fight will be great, I hope Ronda takes the extra time off for her own health. Sadly, she's her own worst enemy at times and you know Dana will be turning on the charm to secure her for 200.

Also, even if they pack this show, I'll be bitterly disappointed if GSP isn't coming back. For the longest time I've held the opinion he should stay retired as he's really got nothing to prove, but seeing him at the last event and what not has made me long for the glory days.

• Paid Members

I'm all for the rematch, but the shit thing is about that apparent story is that it's at welterweight? This achieves nothing in their respective divisions. If it were at 155llbs I say bring it on as they would both then be viable options for RDA.

If this does take place at welterweight, then I see a similar outcome. If it's at 155llbs, I see a more focused Mcgregor who stands a far greater chance.

That said, I just never got the feeling Edgar was getting that shot at 200. It's just not big enough for that event. 

Archived