UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think its a combination of personal pride (wanting to prove that he lost the fight, Nate didn't win it, and he won't make the same mistake twice) and the simple fact that it's probably the most lucrative fight on his radar.

Either that, or there's a medical reason why he can't cut a lot of weight. I heard a rumour prior to his last fight that he was carrying a bad injury, so maybe he's just trying to squeeze through to 200, make that monster payday and then take a bit of time off?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd imagine the only way it takes place at 170lb is if it's a case of Conor demanding it to prove he can come back and beat Diaz at the weight.

Me to. Connor's a man of personal pride. I think he probably realises he went in head-over-heels thinking he was untouchable and landed back on planet earth. A 2nd attempt where he's more focused, harder working makes sense. 

If these injury rumors are true then it must be huge considering the amount of time he's got to have an operation, get back to fitness and then a camp. Still pretty much 4 months between 196 and 200. That's plenty of time to sort that sort of thing out unless it's some drastic injury. 

• Paid Members

I'd be willing to bet that it's also because Conor sees beating Diaz as the only sure-fire way to get himself back on to the track he was initially on. If he faces Diaz at LW and beats him, he gets some momentum and drawing power back, but nowhere near as much (if not way more than before) as if he does it at WW.

• Paid Members

I'd guess it's to do with his knee. He reinjured it last year, mind. McGregor always seems to be fighting, so not sure how he could have recovered completely.

Although maybe it's got everything to do with his ego, another fight at 170. I really fear this worst.

I'd be willing to bet that it's also because Conor sees beating Diaz as the only sure-fire way to get himself back on to the track he was initially on. If he faces Diaz at LW and beats him, he gets some momentum and drawing power back, but nowhere near as much (if not way more than before) as if he does it at WW.

I honestly don't see that being the case. A win over Diaz will be seen as a win over Diaz, be it at 155lbs or 170lbs. A win puts McGregor back on track regardless.

He's definitely at more of a disadvantage at 170lbs, which is why I think there has to be more to it than simple bravado.

I assumed both of them fought at that weight initially due to the late call-up of Nate, so why not do this one at 155lbs? A win for McGregor would maybe even put him back on track for a crack at RDA.

170lbs makes zero sense to me.

If he wins at 170 then he is back on track to fighting top 5 fighters in that division or Lawler/the Champion. If he loses at 170lbs then he has lost at a weight much higher then the 145 he is champion at (usually fights at) and he can drop back down to 145 or 155lbs (and fight RDA).

If he fights Diaz at 155lbs and loses then he would probably never get the chance to fight RDA for the title and Diaz would possibly get the shot instead.

McGregor is clever in that fighting Diaz again at 170lbs really is a win/win for him. I would prefer for him not to fight Diaz again at 170lbs, but that is what I see as the reasoning behind it.

I assumed both of them fought at that weight initially due to the late call-up of Nate, so why not do this one at 155lbs? A win for McGregor would maybe even put him back on track for a crack at RDA.

If he wins at 170 then he is back on track to fighting top 5 fighters in that division or Lawler/the Champion. If he loses at 170lbs then he has lost at a weight much higher then the 145 he is champion at (usually fights at) and he can drop back down to 145 or 155lbs (and fight RDA).

If he fights Diaz at 155lbs and loses then he would probably never get the chance to fight RDA for the title and Diaz would possibly get the shot instead.

McGregor is clever in that fighting Diaz again at 170lbs really is a win/win for him. I would prefer for him not to fight Diaz again at 170lbs, but that is what I see as the reasoning behind it.

You think McGregor can lose two fights in a row against a guy who is mid-level at 155lbs at best and immediately go looking for a lightweight title fight? A loss against Diaz at UFC 200, especially if it happens in a similar fashion, will do a fair bit of damage to his reputation I think.

Even a win won't put him in the mix with Lawler and the top guys at 170lbs.

I honestly can't see any reason for this fight being at 170lbs other than injury. It doesn't make sense any other way.

• Paid Members

You think McGregor can lose two fights in a row against a guy who is mid-level at 155lbs at best and immediately go looking for a lightweight title fight? A loss against Diaz at UFC 200, especially if it happens in a similar fashion, will do a fair bit of damage to his reputation I think.

I honestly can't see any reason for this fight being at 170lbs other than injury. It doesn't make sense any other way.

I don't understand how an injury leaves you able to fight at 170 but not at 155.

Do you mean because it could prevent you doing the cardio work to drop the weight?

I don't understand how an injury leaves you able to fight at 170 but not at 155.

Do you mean because it could prevent you doing the cardio work to drop the weight?

Aye.

• Paid Members

I guess the reason the fight makes sense at 170llbs is that both Mcgregor and Diaz have both basically said fuck the weight cut.

David mentioned above, a win over Diaz is a win over Diaz, irrespective of what division it's in. So, the way I look at it is if he beats Diaz at 170llbs, then he would receive the same opportunity in the 155llb division as he if he would have if he had beaten Nate at 155llbs. He would also have a win in a welterweight class that could also give him some leverage in the future in that division if he ever wishes to compete there.

There's also the added element that Mcgregor was preparing for a 155llb fight in their previous fight and perhaps preparation for this fight could be completely different?

To be honest, the more I think about it the more it makes sense for both of them. Why put yourself through a weight cut when neither party has to? There's not a title on the line and Nate no longer seems interested in going for titles, he just wants the big fights.

Personally, I would like to see the fight at 155llbs as I think that's where we would see the best version of Mcgregor.

Archived