UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they should definitely have done something to nod to their history, interview the HOF inductees (the show needed some Don Frye, let's face it), show some nice video packages from the old days etc. Part of the reason the whole 200 milestone was such a big thing was because of how far they've come and that all ties in with the nostalgia of the sport. Little pieces and interviews on the likes of Royce, Frye, Coleman, Severn, Liddell, Hughes etc would've been cool.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH they might have done but BT were probably on an advert break at the time. They came back from the adverts at one point and you caught the end of them playing a video on the big curtain thing showing huge clips from UFC history. Rogan then says something like "wow I got goosebumps, what a great video".

Maybe there was more but we were all watching the Suplex City advert for the 100th time instead.

The way Brock and DC won was a bit underwhelming, but given the circumstances involved it's understandable. Been the two most high profile fights that affected the show quality a fair bit.

I wouldn't call it a bad show at all. Just one of those times where how a show looks on paper doesn't quite align with what goes down.

Absolutely stoked Brock won, and feel like he'll be on the MSG card now no doubt, and opens up a really interesting situation where, if both sides are as willing to co-promote as they have been in the past week, we could see Brock actually go about working for both companies the next two years. WWE may have said it was a "one-shot deal", but they sure seemed to soften a bit near the end there. And, as the man said himself, Brock Lesnar does what Brock Lesnar wants. Couldn't be more clear, in my eyes, that Lesnar wants to continue down this road,

Simultaneously gutted for Hunt though. Losing in dominating fashion to a guy who hasn't fought in 5 years. He can probably kiss his hopes of fighting for the belt goodbye. Everyone was saying that the fight could go one of two ways- Hunt with the quick KO, or what happened. I'm not sure I understood the magnitude of this result until it happened. Joe Rogan said immediately post-fight in a stunned tone, "a pro wrestler just beat a top contender". While that's an unfair way of framing it, and Rogan isn't always right, his opinion means something to many MMA fans. Maybe Dana too? Who knows.

Watched it for the Lesnar fight after not paying too much attention over the past few years like a lot of people and Brock's performance didn't disappoint. Insane for somebody that hasn't been in the Octagon for five years and I expect he'll fight again now.

The event definitely didn't live up to the hype, Aldo/Edgar and Cormier/Silva were both fights with the winners being cautious and just doing enough to get the job done but Nunes and Velasquez were both impressive.

• Moderators

Let's all not get our cocks too hard over Lesnar's performance. At times he looked every part the 38 year old he is, and shown a gas tank the size of a bean tin in R2. Fact is, someone like Hunt was an ideal match up for him compared to another fringe contender like a, say, Barnett. Fair fucks to him for winning and winning well, especially after such a long lay off, but there's some right hyperbole around it in some parts. 

The Heavyweight division is pretty shit. I'd fancy Brock to beat most Heavyweights under UFC contract. 

The top 5 are out of his reach though. Lesnar expressed an interest in a rematch with Cain at the postfight presser. Fuck that, he'd get slaughtered. As he would against JDS, Werdum and Miocic. If he chooses to return, the likes of Mir, Fedor and Nelson should be on his radar.

Let's all not get our cocks too hard over Lesnar's performance. At times he looked every part the 38 year old he is, and shown a gas tank the size of a bean tin in R2. Fact is, someone like Hunt was an ideal match up for him compared to another fringe contender like a, say, Barnett. Fair fucks to him for winning and winning well, especially after such a long lay off, but there's some right hyperbole around it in some parts. 

Yeah he's definitely lost a good part of that explosion in his wrestling ability. I thought that the R2 wasn't a gas tank thing, more than he was terrified of Hunt's kill shot and knew he was ahead a round- which is just as concerning an issue as if he was indeed blown up.

I was shocked to hear Brock up for fighting Cain in the post-fight presser. Cain left him with a scar, and while his loss to Reem was due to getting kicked and kneed in a gut fresh out of surgery, Cain out-classed Brock everywhere. I don't think you can put a defeat like that down to diverticulitis. 

Brock vs. Fedor in MSG would be perfect, seeing as Mir's out for 2 years and wants out of his UFC contract.

What about the men around Brock in the rankings like Browne, Rothwell and Arlovski?

I agree that the top 5 in the rankings might all have little to much for Lesnar but many other match ups could still be made.

He needs to be a special attraction that will be tested but who keeps winning at least for two or three more fights than if he wants a bigger and better challenge so be it.

• Paid Members

Ha. This is like the good old days. Poor Brock.

My throbbing cock grew a vein after watching Lesnar come back after 5 years and completely stopping Hunt doing anything, while also implementing his skills. Anybody saying he's going to boss the division and what not deserves their shaft stamped on, but Lesnar did very well.

• Paid Members

AFAIK, all three judges gave the first round 10-9 to Brock and the second round 10-9 to Hunt. I doubt you'll see a better example of how screwed up the current implementation of the scoring criteria is than the idea those two round-wins were considered equal.

• Paid Members

Imagine Brock vs Fedor and Rousey vs Cyborg at MSG in November? Probably about as likely to happen as Jon Jones getting his shit together but I'd watch the shit out of that. Stick that McGregor vs Aldo rematch on top and have Serra vs Hughes 2 open the PPV and you're golden.

• Paid Members

Why do people keep saying Lesnar gassed in R2? He didn't - he always looks red & sweats like fuck. He wasn't even breathing heavy after the round in his corner. And then he was fine in R3. You don't perform like that in R3 if you were gassed in R2 - especially at that size.

• Paid Members

Here's a little highlight of the Hall Of Fame speeches;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=loY9HmtUCrY

Coleman to Pete Williams - "How's your shin bone, Pete? Is it doing OK?"

:laugh:

If anyone finds the videos of the full speeches for Frye, Coleman and Nog whack them in here if you'd be so kind.

Archived