UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Joel" Romero & Tim Means got 6 months suspensions for their drug failure, so they didn't get off with it. It's a black mark on their record. 

6 months - average wait time between fights for most people anyway. A nothing punishment. Was supposed to be 2 years.

It's still a punishment though, isn't it? I actually think it fits the crime if the fighter can prove that the banned substance isn't even on the list of ingredients of the supplement they take.

You can't really fault them there, can you? 

6 months is a light slap on the wrist. It's supposed to be 2 years. The fighters are supposed to be responsible for what they put in their bodies. But we haven't seen that happen yet - we still get the bullshit "tainted supplement" excuses, and USADA are actually buying it too & letting everyone off.

Is it bullshit though? The instances where fighters have gotten reduced sentences have seen USADA source a sealed sample of the supplement from the manufacturer, look at the ingredients, run expensive, independent tests on the contents and find that the banned substance is in the supplement but mentioned nowhere in any ingredients list.

How do you expect a fighter to know what's inside the supplement when it's not mentioned on the list of ingredients? You want them to run batch testing on everything they take? Pay for a lab to do it for them? Come on.

One good thing is that as USADA uncover these supplements that are causing the issue they add them to the banned list, meaning that any fighter in future will know.

The got the "sealed" sample from Yomero.

And if they did? My point still stands, unless you think that USADA have been taken for mugs by Romero?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USADA aren't that dumb, if it's sealed it means it hasn't been opened or tampered with, he hasn't opened the can then re shut it.

He would have bought many boxes, not just one every time he needs one x a lot of which are coming in from abroad.

• Paid Members

He could have easily heard about a supplement tainted with Ibutamoren, buys a case of it, then just injects his Ibutamoren as normal. He fails - he blames the supplement & he has an unsealed supply.

He could have easily heard about a supplement tainted with Ibutamoren, buys a case of it, then just injects his Ibutamoren as normal. He fails - he blames the supplement & he has an unsealed supply.

That might be what happened but it's the supplements fault for that, the guy who might be cheating is just taking advantage probably XC Tin Means for example just tweeted another random test #clean athlete and then fails, he's not exactly a big name, so you have give him the benefit of the doubt.

He could have easily heard about a supplement tainted with Ibutamoren, buys a case of it, then just injects his Ibutamoren as normal. He fails - he blames the supplement & he has an unsealed supply.

That might be what happened but it's the supplements fault for that, the guy who might be cheating is just taking advantage probably XC Tin Means for example just tweeted another random test #clean athlete and then fails, he's not exactly a big name, so you have give him the benefit of the doubt.

Is that a supplement or a fighter?

He could have easily heard about a supplement tainted with Ibutamoren, buys a case of it, then just injects his Ibutamoren as normal. He fails - he blames the supplement & he has an unsealed supply.

Aye, okay.

• Paid Members

im always of the opinion that as a professional athlete should be 100% aware of everything they put into their bodies, unless it's a case where the supplement company is lying about what's in their products i don't think there's any excuse for a fighter taking a tainted supplement. Didn't a supplement company immediately release a statement last week after the Jones-fiasco where they said 'don't pin this on us'.

I do find it fairly absurd that fighters can't take certain legal over the counter supplements though.

• Paid Members

im always of the opinion that as a professional athlete should be 100% aware of everything they put into their bodies, unless it's a case where the supplement company is lying about what's in their products i don't think there's any excuse for a fighter taking a tainted supplement. Didn't a supplement company immediately release a statement last week after the Jones-fiasco where they said 'don't pin this on us'.

I do find it fairly absurd that fighters can't take certain legal over the counter supplements though.

There are literally 1000's of supplements that fighters can take that are not tainted. Yet some choose a new or weird brand that poses a potential risk. Seems like a stupid move - or a pre-planned excuse, as I laid out above & David scoffed at... even though it's ridiculously simple to execute and seems to result in a 75% reduction in your suspension.

Tom Lawler said that if he's unsure about a supplement, he can take a photo, send it to the UFC USADA rep, and get a reply whether it's okay to use or not. Really simple process - there should be no confusion.

• Paid Members

Brian Stann told a good story (which I will butcher)  on the MMA Hour after 200, about his sponsor coming to him and saying they had this brand new supplement that would blow his tits off and it's all good. Of course, Stann is too clever and straight up to believe them, so got it checked out and found it contained all manner of nastiness that would have got him in bother. Essentially, be like Brian Stann is how we should all live life.

The Guardian have a decent article about USADA and UFC with the gist of it being, while it's commendable the UFC have such a top drugs programme, it may also prove to be a bit of an own goal with lesser men than Stann getting popped and hurt via taking something silly without knowing.

Personally, I'm very much for it and agree with Ebb that fighters know the score now.

• Paid Members

In relation to that Lawlor quote, is there actually a list of pre-approved supplements? If it's as easy as sending a picture, that would suggest there is?

If there isn't how could a USADA rep know whether a supplement is tainted or safe to take unless it's taken to a lab?

I see that it's a way of covering your arse, but it won't mean that the supplement is clean. One of the problems is that these companies offer decent money to fighters to use their products and unfortunately when fighter pay is so shit, a lot of fighters will take just take the money hoping they are clean as stated on the bottle.

Personally, I don't think it's as easy saying "ah the old tainted supplement excuse". However, IF there's a list of pre-approved supplements list then there really is no excuse. 

That Lawler quote is odd because I've read and heard elsewhere that Fighters don't seem to think that exists. Where you can send in a supplement etc. Either that or its avaliable and people are getting unlucky like Silva with tainted supplements from equipment being used for varying supplements.

Archived