UFC 200: Cormier vs Silva | Lesnar vs Hunt

seanz25

Who wins & how?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Why do people keep saying Lesnar gassed in R2? He didn't - he always looks red; sweats like fuck. He wasn't even breathing heavy after the round in his corner. And then he was fine in R3. You don't perform like that in R3 if you were gassed in R2 - especially at that size.

I was saying the same thing when watching. I think people are forgetting he has always fucking looked like that when fighting. All red faced and glazed eyes - it's standard for him.

He was exhausted between the rounds and then his movement slowed and he was breathing heavily throughout round 2. Late in the round he got a second wind and you saw his movement improve to the point where he started to threaten the takedown again.

Brock's in great shape and he clearly works hard at camp but the reality of five minutes of trying to hold down a monster who doesn't want to stay down isn't always something you can prepare for.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purposely never posted yesterday because I wanted to let everything sink in, now having over 24 hours to reflect I have come to some conclusions.

All in all it was an historic but odd night. It didn't have any 'wow' moments. The card actually suffered from having to many big names, every fight had somebody of significance involved so it made no fights stand out, guys like Hendricks, Dillanshaw were really not needed.

I personally liked the Gold ring, I have always wished they did stuff for special shows. I can remember a couple of years back they were using a canvas  with Weidman and Rouseys face on it to promote the 4th July show and I was disappointed they never actually used it on the night. The July show is always a huge one so I would like to see them do something like this once a year for big shows. Speaking of previous shows...

Last year's July PPV between McGregor and Mendes felt like a bigger occasion with the entrances being sung live etc. Why didn't we have any of that? The biggest bit of ponce we had was Timberlake and Brady at ringside.

I don't know how it worked in the live arena but having the video packages projected on the screen for tv audiences was AWFUL! It never worked in the slightest, I thought it was a  technical glitch at first. Whose idea was this? It killed so many of the fights build up. Also well annoyed BT cut to advert during what looked  a very cool UFC retrospective video (is this available anywhere online?) As for the fights....

I think Saturday ended all talk of Travis Browne ever being a title contender, it's a pity because a couple of years ago he was looking a real dark horse.

I'm gutted for Edgar, last few fights he's been looking like an animal but it didn't work out for him on the biggest stage. He's in such a odd position now, he's clearly head and shoulders better than everybody else in the division not named McGregor or Aldo yet he cant clinch the title.Aldo looked great and I'm genuinely excited for a Mcgregor rematch if it ever happens.

There was a strange sense of poetry to DC/Silva. Couple of years back Bonnar stepped in at the last minute to face Silva in a non title fight and Silva (then King of the world) easily swept him aside. fast forward 4 years and the exact same thing happens but this time it's Silva who was in the Bonnar position. Still, it was awesome seeing Silva fight at 200 consider he is one of the foundation fighters of the sport and although the fight was boring it was still cool to see them both in the ring. Silva was probably the most dominated fighter on the card yet came out of it the biggest hero.

Brock v Hunt was hands down a victim of hype. All everybody did was talk about how good Hunts punches were and how strong Brocks takedowns are so....neither man wanted to commit because they knew what would happen if they got to close. Much like Silva it was awesome seeing Brock again, I think he has value for the company in a 1-2 fights a year deal against guys outside top 5 (Brock v Nelson for example and maybe even v Fedor)

As for Meisha v Nunes, I got to admit I just never saw it coming. Meisha winning the belt was one of my favourite ever moments in MMA and I felt gutted she lost it so soon but at least she can say she was champion and headlined 200. In reply to people saying she didn't look right, I did notice she did ALOT of media leading up to the event, I wonder if she this seriously disturbed her training? Unfortunately for her I never see her winning the gold again, She will never beat Rousey and Holm will probably be wised up if they ever crossed paths again.

All in all I enjoyed the show but it was nothing outstanding considering it's been hyped for like over a year now. Oh well, only 6-8 years until UFC 300, lets start the hype now; Will former Champion Northcutt be able to beat the young lion? Is Ronda making a mistake coming of retirement? How will CM Punk do on his long awaited debut?

• Paid Members

great post ^

i actually thought the video packages on the curtain was only because i was watching the Fight Pass feed (which is unpolished and has dead air time) and that the actual PPV would have the standard packages. It was shocking.

• Paid Members

The yellow canvas was hilarious. I got the impression they wanted Gold and somebody fucked up a colour picker tool and ended up with a 'custard yellow'

Ha, I'm picturing that episode of Only Fools and Horses where Del Boy has the bright (literally) idea of painting the local Chinese takeaway place, for a fee obviously, with knocked off paint he'd got hold of.

Qnau5.jpg

And it turned out to be bright yellow glow in the dark paint;

KlTu6.jpg

I'm just picturing Dana getting on the phone when he saw the colour of the canvas and saying 'Dave Scholler, you dopey little twonk.'

• Paid Members

I thought 200 was mostly the drizzling shits. I watched from the televised prelims and up, and there wasn't a single decent fight.

I thought Cain looked spectacular though, and outside of the fight being a bit flat, Lesnar looked great for someone who hadn't fought in half a decade. 

In relation to Brock fighting further, I'm not sure how it will play out. One thing to me that's a road block is USADA's testing. If Brock decides he wants to continue, I'm pretty sure he will have to be subject to random drug testing and if we're all honest, he would probably fail it within 2 weeks of being back in the WWE.

Then if he says he's retired, I'm not sure that he would be able to bypass the 3 month USADA testing to return since he's now competed in a USADA led era.

I'm just picturing Dana getting on the phone when he saw the colour of the canvas and saying 'Dave Scholler, you dopey little twonk.'

I'm picturing more of a Spinal Tap Stonehenge fallout scene-

"I don't think the problem was the card, I think what the problem was that the canvas looked like it was made from Birds Custard. That tended to understate the hugeness of the show"

"Nigel gave me a drawing that said Golden Yellow. Whether he knows the difference between Gold and Golden Yellow is not my problem"

"I'd like to raise a practical question at this point. Are we going to use the yellow canvas at 300?"

I just got back from Vegas.  

First things first, I'm a bandwagon jumper.  I'd barely watched a full fight until McGregor v Mendes this time last year. Since then I've been hooked.  So much so that after McGregor - Diaz, I booked a trip for the big one. 

I went to Fight Night on the Thursday and found it all a little flat, but I was buzzing to be in the new arena come the Saturday. I agree with some of the sentiments, apart from being in a newer, larger venue in LV than normal, there didn't seem much to distinguish this between any other stacked card. There should have been pyro and shit loads of it. But maybe they wanted to stick to their tried and tested and not make this look like a WWE ppv. 

The crowd was flat at times but loved the reaction for Silva. I sympathise with DC to a degree as we was in a lose-lose situation - but what a bullshit spectacle. Should have bumped up someone else on the main card.  

I guess aside from Conor being cageside and the stare down with Aldo at the end - what the show was lacking for me was any real impact in terms of UFC future feuds.  Cain V looked bad ass but where does he go next? Is Brock going to carry on fighting mid-level fighters for the odd big pay day ala WWE? Already spoke about DC...Where to next?  Ah good - another former bantamweight champion waiting in line for a title shot after Rousey gets off her arse. May as well throw them all in the Elimination Chamber. 

WTF was that promo all about for Miesha also? Rogan burying her before she even fought.  'The second baddest woman on the planet'. If JBL said that about the Women's champion then the WWE forum would probably crash. 

I actually throughly enjoyed myself.  We blagged it to much closer to the cage than we'd paid for - right down on the floor.  I am more hooked than ever - but I think the UFC did not get it all right on their night. 

I thought 200 was mostly the drizzling shits. I watched from the televised prelims and up, and there wasn't a single decent fight.

I thought Cain looked spectacular though, and outside of the fight being a bit flat, Lesnar looked great for someone who hadn't fought in half a decade. 

In relation to Brock fighting further, I'm not sure how it will play out. One thing to me that's a road block is USADA's testing. If Brock decides he wants to continue, I'm pretty sure he will have to be subject to random drug testing and if we're all honest, he would probably fail it within 2 weeks of being back in the WWE.

Then if he says he's retired, I'm not sure that he would be able to bypass the 3 month USADA testing to return since he's now competed in a USADA led era.

He would be subject to the 4 month pre-testing clause.  He was only exempt this time because he hadn't fought for 5 years. 

If Brock says that he wants to fight again, he will still be under USADA.  That means they could turn up at Summerslam to test him.  Would love to see Vince's face if that happened!

• Paid Members

Exactly. 

Vince would be fucked if Brock fails a USADA test under his watch whilst seemingly passing their wellness policy tests. 

The other thing if the new owners come in and basically blow off USADA and go back to the old days of testing.

Yeah I though 200 felt lacklustre it didn't help most of the people I wanted to win lost... Sanchez, Gomi, Zingano, Edgar, Silva.

Overall it was an okay show, I just expected more than weird looking canvas for the *Biggest Event Ever*. 

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/727799-brock-lesnar-ufc-200-money

As noted, Brock Lesnar was paid a guaranteed $2.5 million for his UFC 200 fight. Additionally, he was paid $5,000 from Reebok in sponsorship money.

According to Wrestling Observer Radio, Lesnar will also be getting a cut of UFC 200 PPV sales, and when it’s all said and done The Beast Incarnate stands to make a minimum of $5.5 million and a maximum of about $8 million. Following this past weekend’s PPV, it was announced that Brock Lesnar is currently the 8th ranked heavyweight in UFC.

• Paid Members

All my thoughts pretty much covered already. Enjoyable but not the spectacle I wanted it to be.

Silva or not, am I the only one that thought "one drug cheat replacing another" when it was announced who would replace Jones? It annoys me that they still keep calling him the best of all time. In my mind, you lose that title when you get caught cheating - no matter how late in your career.

• Paid Members

Personally I agree with you Chunk, but we're a fickle bunch when it comes to fighting. 

Frankly, I think Silva has become almost like a cartoon character since his return from his suspension. Just a joke really. 

Archived