Room 101 - Wrestlers and Personalities

Liam O'Rourke

I'm bored of the same angle running for the last 18 years. And yes, I'd like them to make sense. It's really not too much to ask.

Nothing in wrestling really makes sense if you look at it logically.

Storylines don't have to make sense. They do however have to be entertaining, which granted, this authority storyline is not.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm bored of the same angle running for the last 18 years. And yes, I'd like them to make sense. It's really not too much to ask.

Nothing in wrestling really makes sense if you look at it logically.

Storylines don't have to make sense. They do however have to be entertaining, which granted, this authority storyline is not.

They don't have to - but I'd prefer it. And at the same time, I also don't mind suspending my disbelief if a storyline is far fetched, but it's amazing - then they get leeway. But if it's far-fetched and shit - then thumbs down all the way.

• Paid Members

Wow. Just one. That's pretty tough. I mean, I would have gone with JBL (all of him post-APA) but to be honest that would probably be a waste as huge numbers of our posters here have already read, and your listeners already heard one of my rants on JBL as WWE Champion (ick ick ick) already.

I thought long and hard about who I'd put in, and I came very close to jumping for the "mind-numbingly boring/permanent fast forward" material but in the end had to go with a wrestler that is like eczema for my eyes..... Hacksaw Jim Duggan in his WWF tenure.

Maybe it's just because I'm tainted by the first show I saw being WrestleMania VI, where I saw this bloke being cheered despite obviously being a cheating bastard that liked to hit people with his plank to win matches. I took a dislike to him straight away and found it oddly satisfying watching Earthquake sit on him three times in the aftermath of the Bravo match. Bear in mind, during Earthquake's match earlier, Gorilla and Jesse had made it clear that Quake was sending men to the hospital, and as he kept dropping on Duggan I found myself thinking "I hope this bloke goes to hospital, he's a twat."

It didn't stop there however. Catching up on WWF shows to get me up to speed with the present as I was getting into wrestling, Duggan was shitting up shows with piss-poor matches. I hated him. He served no purpose. His matches were utterly shit and most of the time he wouldn't even let a heel get any real heat by beating him - he'd just hit them with his board and get disqualified. What a pillock. Seriously, the guy was protected as well as Hogan. Four Survivor Series in a row he only got eliminated by count-out or hitting people with his wood in front of the ref. Nobody pinned him on PPV between Mania IV and King of the Ring 93 when he was on the way out - FIVE FUCKING YEARS! Even when he was in the ring with The fucking Undertaker at the peak of his unstoppable heel run on the Albert Hall show - getting disqualified because of his fucking plank. Seriously, one guy gets a little "bit by cobras" and On The Take Tunney takes immediate action, by Hacksaw was hitting people with his 2x4 all the fucking time and just got away with it.

I genuinely don't see any benefit to Duggan's WWF run not being obliterated. Anything he was involved in at any point would have been better with a different mid-card babyface in the same spot at the same time - Ricky Steamboat, Jake the Snake, Boss Man, Bulldog.... even fucking Beefcake! (I acknowledge I may have lost you at this point). Yes, he allowed Yokozuna to beat him up a bit in the early days, but I don't think that achieved anything that fat lad hadn't already managed by clobbering Virgil, winning the Rumble, battering Savage on TV and a dozen other squashes. He was a tosser. He did nothing good and every time I watched him, I wanted to be flexible enough to kick my own teeth in so the pain took my mind off Hacksaw wrestling on my screen. Just fuck off.

I've clarified his WWF run because he wasn't as tiresome for Watts, and without his WCW run we wouldn't get that magnificent heel Goldberg match where big bald Billy tried to beat cancer back into him. That was a hoot and a holla.

Incidentally, if mind-numbing fast forward fodder had been the winner..... The Beverly Brothers.

CHAIR SHOTS

You haven't read the post. This portion is about wrestlers/personalities.

Easy......Jimmy havoc.
That lad is everything pro wrestling needs with a character that is truly mental and doesn't give a shit. Out of character he is quality aswell but for those of you that want to watch a storyline so intense and to the bone watch jimmy havoc's heel turn at progress.
Nothing short of a modern day classic storyline and so well played out that you could not hate to love/hate/feel somewhat sexually attracted to the CUNT that jimmy is/was/will always be
#jimmyjimmyjimmyyouracunt

You haven't read the post either.

• Awards Moderator

You'll not be going to Duggan's one man comedy show in Glasgow later this year then, Raid?

(Great idea for a show, by the way. I'd pick someone like New Jack or Ian Rotten or any number of shitarse death match wrestlers but it'd be a waste of any room putting those twats in there, even Room 101.

So I'd say Justin Credible, because he just looks so fucking gormless all the time and never added anything to any show he was on because he's a gormless twat. When X Factor is the best thing you ever did you're not doing well.)

Randy Orton (post 2009) for me... along with Del RIo. 

The guy can wrestle there is no doubt. His run against Mick Foley et al was fantastic and he can put on a good match when he puts his mind to it. The problem that I find is that his personality is dull as dishwater, something I can imagine is just as bad in real life as his gimmick (if you can call it that). 

He looks the part but has never been able to become the face of the WWE despite being built as Cena's opposite number for years. Frustrating I WANT to root for him (or hate him!) His promos are beyond generic, he shows no emotion whatsoever and he hasn't added a huge amount to his arsenal in the past five years. 

I just can't help but turn the network off when he comes on screen. 

• Paid Members

Stephanie fucking McMahon - Every time I hear the opening to her theme song, the raw fireworks and pyro ends and it starts...."Style and Grace...." and I just beg for my laptop to crash. Her fucking stupid, school nativity standard over acting, the way she talks down to talent and NEVER gets her comeuppance, the way in backstage interviews she appears taller than the Wrestlers and literally looks down on them, the way she has "I play a bad guy on TV" on her twitter handle, the way they show her at charity events and the next fucking segment is her being a vile heel I'm supposed to hate, the fact she can't book Wrestling, her fake tits, everything about the cow. As Vince Russo said "It was the biggest mistake the company ever made and one they still have not recovered from". Slag.

This x1000. What a fucking useless untalented shrieking cunt of a woman. Why the fuck is this bitch on Raw every week being terrible? She isn't just a bad performer, she actively ruins every other person she is on screen with due to her need to always be dominant, smarter and better than everyone else and since her return a few years ago has done nothing good for the product whatsoever. Just fuck off and die! When she was voted Heel Of The Year here a few years ago I thought you had all gone mental. WWE will never get better until she is gone from the company. And her twitter is full of self congratulatory tweets on what a great woman she is and all her charity work even though a few years back she came out and said that charity work is the best way to promote yourself and showing her true colours. She is so actively bad for wrestling it baffles my mind. It's like she's inherited every single one of Vince's worst qualities.

Sid Vicious and his WCW title run in early-2000. I've never liked anything he's ever done, but that period nearly killed me. Jarrett's titles runs straight after that were equally as bad. 

Actually, the entire main event title picture during 2000. Constantly vacating the title, Nash booking himself as champ, David Arquette and Russo winning the belt, DDP getting shafted with a one day reign. 

• Paid Members

Test

'This is a test'

It's a fucking test alright, testing my fucking patience.

In fairness he had a good speedy big boot. But bloody hell, he bored the piss out of me. He bored the piss out of the toilet. I couldn't stand his big daft wavy hair, his shit long black leather trousers, he always looked confused like a dog when it farts, smells it but then thinks 'what's that??'

He added bot all to the HHH/Steph wedding angle and he should have been one of the top 3 characters in focus, but he managed to blend in to the background.

Pure tripe

Mick Foley post-2004.  Nobody has fallen from grace as hard as Foley over the past decade.  He was one of the most genuinely loved and respected names in the entire business when he retired in 2000, and his subsequent stints as commissioner and eventual return and feud with Randy Orton were universally praised.  Quite how he managed to destroy his legacy to the point where he's now a figure of ridicule and embarrassment is beyond me.  When I watch old wrestling back I can almost always remember how I thought and felt at the time and re-live those moments as if they were happening now.  With Foley all I can think of is what has become of him since then.  Post-2004 Foley ruined one of my favourite wrestlers of all time, and for that reason he deserves to go into Room 101.

• Paid Members

Mick Foley post-2004.  Nobody has fallen from grace as hard as Foley over the past decade.

Oooh, that's a good one.

Quite how he managed to destroy his legacy to the point where he's now a figure of ridicule and embarrassment is beyond me.

Blame Melina. Or Mickle's overwhelmingly OTT platonic friendly not-wanking love for her.

For me, and it may well be just me I'm going with Bret's WWE return up to the match at mania. Actually I'm now pissed off at SCG for making me remember it again!

Growing up in the 80s and 90s I was a huge Hitman mark, and was purely in camp Bret whilst my younger brother wanked over HBK and his dirty screwing ways.

I only watched WWF growing up, so don't know a great deal about Bret's tenure in WCW but from looking back it doesn't seem great. So it always left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth that he left and never came back for one last glorious run up north.

Then they announced it....he was coming back...hell itself had frozen over and I for one couldn't wait. I stayed up for Raw was ridiculously excited and when that music hit and he came doddering out with his greying hair I didn't care, I was looking throught my reflective rose tinted visor and fucking loving it..I may have even let out a little involuntary noise of excitement.

The rest of the night went "ok"...the love fest with Shawn, even the kick to the balls by vince was bearable as it meant comeuppance was coming.

Then that was it, they meandered about doing some bullshit week in week out, Bret in a wheelchair, Bret v Miz, Bret as US champ it was all shit, and it all led up to that horrendous "match" at Mania that made no sense...the Harts siding with Vince...WHY! The big "ah ha" we're really with Bret reveal...WHY!! Stumbling around the ring for nearly 30 mins...WHY WHY WHY! All they had to do was let Bret hit him with a chair, maybe a reverse atomic drop and slap on a sharp shooter and watch Vinnie Mac tap like a bitch.

THEY FUCKED IT UP, THEY ALWAYS FUCK IT UP AND WE NEVER LEARN.

Archived