Room 101 - Wrestlers and Personalities

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

The dividing line in my own head was - at the time of him cashing in Money in the Bank as a heel....

...a heel that got himself a massive babyface pop for beating an already injured champion. That moment still winds me up. I hated Hashtag Heel Dolph every bit as much as I hate him as a face now. He was utterly useless because he just can't help himself from trying to get cheered.

It's a trait I really don't like in Kevin Owens currently, although I had to let him off the hook a little bit for his pre-Mania promo, because his line about Dolph Ziggler being the least funny stand-up comedian of all time was brilliant.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that's just it - he's symptomatic of a bigger problem, granted, but it's by no means exclusive to him. We have heels who are cheered, faces who are booed, you turn them to react and the opposite happens (Cena turning would have gotten the love from a bunch of people when he started being great in the role). With Del Rio you had a champion who was ineffective in his role (fancy that) and the post-Mania Raw audience will always just play to their favourites. Not to draw a comparison that is utterly horrid in some respects (but I will anyway), but it's not as if Ric Flair the heel was unanimously booed and Ricky Steamboat the babyface unanimously cheered in their famous 89 series - there have always been heel fans and the swing in the audience has made it more pronounced. Hell, I loved The Rock as a heel in 98 with a passion. Dolph's run as a babyface is 101 material. Dolph as a heel wasn't some kind of all-time great, but he wasn't Dino Bravo either, not even close.

Then again, in many respects it is a major problem WWE has, so it's not like I can really even disagree with you, I just think it impacts fans in different amounts.

• Paid Members

"We at Squared Circle Gazette Radio would like to apologise for failing to induct Dolph Ziggler into Room 101 last week. As a make good, Old Man Jones will now sing "Loser" by Beck whlst wearing mascara and a cut off denim jacket as we induct Dolph."

Acceptable.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the calls for Zigglers inclusion, him being reprieved wasn't even the biggest travesty of the episode. That went to throwing the Nasty Boys in. Crazy stuff! Prior to their mid '90s babyface spell, the Nasties were great in every way. They were easily a 0.9 on the Fr. Larry Duff scale. 

Throwing the Honky Tonk Man in wasn't much less of a crime, but he's probably suffering from the Raven effect with shoot interviews etc. Of course, that's no excuse for consigning him to the room of shit but at least gives some kind of explanation.

Also, Brutii only really deserves to be considered post-accident as there wasn't much wrong with him around 88-90. His popularity back then was no accident, and it wasn't due to Hogan either.

EDIT: it just occurred to me that i'm going on a 2 or 3 week memory here so if any of those above were actually saved from the bin, then the point still remains for giving them credence and genuine discussion anyway! Likewise with Sid and Nash (whose discussion was at least funny if unwarranted for anything other than the booking!)

Archived