Room 101 - Wrestlers and Personalities

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Sorry Butch. Vinnie Vegas, Oz, and Master Blaster Steele didn't have a good match with anyone. His best mate is Hunter and those matches were slow motion. Glaciers move quicker, and I don't mean the late 90s Mortal Kombat rip off. He gets away with a lot because he is a funny guy. As a wrestler. Get in the room.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rugged Ronnie Garvin.

When I first saw WWF I was in awe of these larger than life characters, then Ron comes along with his fucking towel and his Greg The Hammer Valentine hammer jammer shinpad. Take your towel and your shinpad and fuck the fuck off.

I try to be fairly positive and most of my significant problems with wrestling come from booking or writing, for my own sanity I try to stay neutral-at-worst when it comes to on-air personalities. Mainly because a lot of wrestlers can be excused for shit eras, or ill-advised roles, and can go on to a new lease of life as something really good. Recent examples are the heel work of Charlotte and Jericho, that I say wash away most criticisms. For someone like a Ziggler, it could be around the corner.

That said, I can only go for Sable - I 'missed' the attitude era, bar taking the pedigrees and chokeslams at school, but even as an adolescent getting into the product in '04 I was always extremely uncomfortable watching basically anything any woman did on the product. If I had to name a least favourite match I'd probably opt for whatever the hell happened at WM20. Without looking it up, I think it was an evening gown tag match - why you ask? SHUT UP FAGGIT!. Sable grabs the mic and goes like "you know, gowns are obviously so restrictive. I really just wanna be in my pants and that", the crowd woop, her, Torrie and Keibler strip off, Miss Jackie doesn't want to strip off, so all three force her!! Even though it's a tag match? That's your representation of women at a marquee Wrestlemania folks. It's not that I don't have a sexuality or think ladies are fit, but her ilk and the wooping morons encouraging it pretty much sum up why I blush and shrink in stature when I tell someone I am a wrestling fan, because to most people that's what they think it still is. Also without wanting to delve too far into hypocrisy with looks-centric comments, her face actually looks like when I've snorted a couple lines of something and I need to stretch my face apart from either side and snuff to get the stuck stuff out. At least with your Keiblers, Sunnys and Torries I can think "fair play". Sable is just totally unappealing and has the charisma of white rice

A couple honourable mentions:

Paige - When I got back into wrestling some time in 2014, soon after I would've become familiar with Paige. Everything should point to me liking her. She's from Norwich, I live in Suffolk (alright, Norfolk/Suffolk rivalry, but I think in US wrestling that can be put to bed), seemed an okay hand in the ring which was still something of a novelty for a woman at the time, and had this anti-diva character which I wanted to root for. Then presumably I heard her speak. Good god, no other promo takes me more out of the moment than her. Her "THIS IS MAH HOUSE!" catchphrase sounds like a pissed 14 year old girl walking in on her best mate shagging her crush in her bed at her birthday party. She spent last year sapping life and momentum from the 'Divas Rev' and having really, really shit programmes. As a face she just couldn't connect at all, despite getting some bafflingly decent pops. I pleaded for her to turn heel, then she was shit at that too. Her "OMG! Your brother's dead LOL!" thing with Charlotte CLOSING RAW was one of the low-points of last year. You soon realise she's not all-that in the ring either, she kept doing this swanton off the apron spot which I reckon my granddad could do with more conviction and he's lost half of his toes on one foot from smoking  Seems pretty vapid, entitled and unlikeable too in person. Thankfully now appears to have faded into 2-minute Total Divas advert match irrelevancy.

Hornswoggle - I talked about getting back into wrestling, how about convincing myself I grew out of it for seven years? This cunt can take huge credit for that. Perma-unfunny. Every shit segment. And most importantly the SHEER VOLUME of screen time afforded to him. Fucking hell, no wonder they struggled to make real stars after Cena and Batista, too busy farting about with this little wanker. The last WWE Cruiserweight Champion, folks. The fact he somehow managed to fail a wellness the other month and STILL has a job makes me extremely nervous. What's in the pipeline?

To summarize, it appears I really hate women and dwarves

• Awards Moderator

Okay, I've got a proper one now.

Kurt Angle, any time after 2006. What a waste. No career has been more tarnished by the shiftiness of TNA than Kurt's. He's past the point of no return now, physically as well as in terms of career. And for what? A couple of good matches with Samoa Joe, one with Jay Lethal and something with Double J-MMA? That's honestly all I remember of the last TEN YEARS of Angle's career. If he had been able to sort something out with WWE that meant he could stay with them but they wouldn't have to worry about him falling to pieces on them, he'd be remembered as having a great six/seven year run and probably got himself in the HOF. But no, instead he's pissing the fuck about for practically nobody. Watching him on the Network only serves to show just how bloody good he was in WWE, and how massive a disappointment it is that the past decade has been spent in the fucking Impact Zone. Come back to WWE, Kurt. Everybody swallow some pride and make it happen.

I'd like to pretend the last ten years of Angle never happened. They can GET IN THE ROOM.

Tensai. I hated Albert, liked the T&A tag team and thought A-Train was ok. I totally bought in to the whole 'he's improved loads in Japan deal' and loved that they used old school vignettes to introduce the characters. Once he debuted though it was obvious that he was the same lumbering numpty. Finisher was dreadful (outside of Dallas any claw move looks ridiculous) and he botched more moves than he got right. Also appeared to sandbag Ryback during his big push.

It would have been great to have him come in dancing with Brodus Clay right off the bat because that seemed to suit him much more than any other previous gimmick. Matt Bloom always comes across as a great guy, knowledgeable as well, but Tensai was shite.

• Paid Members

Russo.

Not much that can be said that hasn't been said before really. He had a few good years with McMahon filtering ideas that were largely pinched from ECW and turned it into a twenty year career of absolute nonsense. He hasn't booked a coherent storyline since 1999 and, yet, people *still* hail him as a creative genius.

He's shit. He should be in the room.

The Miz. The Miz, the Miz, the bloody Miz...

Lets start with the facts:

He's an almost ten year veteran of WWE.

Despite this, I'd describe him as a 'competent' wrestler - at best. I'm struggling to think of any of his singles matches that were so compelling and good that I'd feel the need to sit through them again. Never has one man been somewhere for so long, and contributed the square root of fuck-all.

He's main-evented a Wrestlemania (as in, been in the match that closed the show).

To put that in context, that's the same number of times as Mick Foley, Edge, and Kurt Angle and once more than Ric Flair, CM Punk, Eddie Guerrero and Kane. It's a small comfort that his main event was awful, in what is my pick for the worst Mania of all time, and he bombed down the card very quickly afterwards.

He's an over-rated promo.

Well, he is, isn't he? He's average on the mic, but looks better given his opposition. He'd have died on his backside in most other eras.

He married Maryse.

The git.

Shit catchphrase.

To paraphrase Rock, 'you go from the iconic if you smell what the Rock is cooking to the powerful Austin 3:16... all the way to 'Really'?. Piss off!

Most of what he does is a rip-off of Chris Jericho, circa 2008

Suits? Check.

Chat show segment? Check.

Promo whilst talking slowly? Check.

Stupid quiff? Check.

All he needs is a podcast, a light-up jacket and be a shit singer, and he's Y2M.

He's just really, really, irritating.

This pretty much sums him up. Heel - he's an annoying twat. Face - he's more of an annoying twat. Why am I supposed to cheer him? I'd much rather punch him.

'His personal appearance schedule means he deserves a push!'

I read / heard this a few times when he was getting his big push in 2010 / 11. Fuck off! Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I'd rather someone was pushed on the basis of their actual talent, not because he's appeared on Blue Peter, Sky Sports News and radio phone-ins.

The Miz should be in Room 101, he should have his own key, pets waiting for him and never be allowed out. He's the one guy I hope TNA sign, because I'll never then have to hear that fuck-awful theme song, he'll get the booking treatment he so richly deserves, and I'll never have to pay attention to the gobshite ever again.

So, yeah, The Miz, innit.

I wasn't watching for his main event run, but fuck that, Miz is an awesome midcard heel who can actually take the company's 50/50 booking and not take significant damage. Need guys like him. His contribution to the Styles/Jericho stuff a few weeks back was brilliant

Despite this, I'd describe him as a 'competent' wrestler - at best. I'm struggling to think of any of his singles matches that were so compelling and good that I'd feel the need to sit through them again.

3 come to mind straight away. Not entirely sure of the dates, but he defended the title against Lawler and Morrison in two cracking Raw matches and had a great tournament-final match with Mysterio when Punk took his two-week hiatus.

Despite this, I'd describe him as a 'competent' wrestler - at best. I'm struggling to think of any of his singles matches that were so compelling and good that I'd feel the need to sit through them again.

3 come to mind straight away. Not entirely sure of the dates, but he defended the title against Lawler and Morrison in two cracking Raw matches and had a great tournament-final match with Mysterio when Punk took his two-week hiatus.

He had two absolute crackers in 2010, 1 against Daniel Bryan at Night of Champions and a 3 way submission match the following month with Bryan and Morrison.

I also really enjoyed the 3 way with Axel and Barrett as well.

Mark Madden

Never mind he replaced Bobby Heenan on Nitro conmentary in early 2000 which was blasphemy.

He was a Vinny Ru wet dream of a commentator with his constant ridiculous insider comments. His pop culture references ranging from either being a Kiss fan or watching too many Kevin Smith movies. The twatty fist pump he'd do when first shown on commentary. Looking like a walrus in a Hawaiian shirt.

I can take the bad wrestling from WCW in 2000 but put it alongside this guy's droning loud whiney obnoxious voice and its almost too much to bear.

Even now on JR's podcasts I can't bear to listen to him and even hearing him now flashes me back to him screeching into the mic 'Spinneroonie, Spinneroonie. Damn that Spinneroonie!'

Thank Christ no company took a chance on him when WCW folded.

Despite this, I'd describe him as a 'competent' wrestler - at best. I'm struggling to think of any of his singles matches that were so compelling and good that I'd feel the need to sit through them again.

He had two absolute crackers in 2010, 1 against Daniel Bryan at Night of Champions and a 3 way submission match the following month with Bryan and Morrison.

I also really enjoyed the 3 way with Axel and Barrett as well.

So, 6 matches in 10 years possibly worth revisiting, 5 of which happened at least 5 years ago.

Still not exactly impressive!

Archived