WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the game everybody wanted Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite to be. It can get a little hectic.i picked up Under Night In Birth.exe Late(st) in the PSN sale for a tenner, because I don't own enough fighting games.

On another note the Switch Lite D-pad is terrible for dragon punches/diagonals in general, and the analogue stick seems a little oversensitive. It's going to take some practice to get fighting games down. 

Ace Attorney's one of my favourite series, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. It's a loose cross between a point-and-click detective game and a visual novel, with emphasis on the latter. I might be tempted to say stick with it for the better characters later on, but it's not the laugh-a-minute kind of humour and if you're already so put off by it then it's probably just not for you, sadly.

• Paid Members
On 1/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

You can almost always rely on Nintendo to zag when Sony & Microsoft zig etc. It's how they've made it this far. 

Absolutely - and there's so many things they invented/innovated/popularised that has since either become the norm, or that other companies have tried to emulate, that I never really question even their wackier ideas. When a lot of the games business seems deadly serious, I love seeing some of the mad shit they come up with just by putting the concept of play at the heart of everything they do - I have no idea if that weird cardboard stuff ever took off, but can you imagine anyone else pitching that?

But just looking back, Sony and Microsoft both tried to do motion controls after Nintendo, the PS4 touchpad feels like a shit half-arsed attempt at a Nintendo-esque level of interactivity or Wii U touch-scren, but even further back than that, practically everything on a modern games controller - a directional pad and four face buttons, shoulder buttons and some kind of feedback/vibration - stems from them. 

As for the Wii U, my ex had one and I loved it. Some superb games, and the controller was far more intuitive than it looked. Playing Zombi U, using the radar on the controller, glancing between the control pad screen and the TV, was one of the most genuinely scary games I've ever played, and so much of that was because of what was possible with that hardware. But I mentioned it to my current girlfriend recently, and she'd never even heard of the console. The name and lack of decent marketing just completely sunk it.

• Paid Members

Not quite just the marketing, it also hardly had any games. Outside of the main Nintendo franchises and some party games it was a thin roster. It had almost no decent 3rd party games (with a few exceptions, Zombi U included).   

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Absolutely - and there's so many things they invented/innovated/popularised that has since either become the norm, or that other companies have tried to emulate, that I never really question even their wackier ideas. When a lot of the games business seems deadly serious, I love seeing some of the mad shit they come up with just by putting the concept of play at the heart of everything they do - I have no idea if that weird cardboard stuff ever took off, but can you imagine anyone else pitching that?

But just looking back, Sony and Microsoft both tried to do motion controls after Nintendo, the PS4 touchpad feels like a shit half-arsed attempt at a Nintendo-esque level of interactivity or Wii U touch-scren, but even further back than that, practically everything on a modern games controller - a directional pad and four face buttons, shoulder buttons and some kind of feedback/vibration - stems from them. 

As for the Wii U, my ex had one and I loved it. Some superb games, and the controller was far more intuitive than it looked. Playing Zombi U, using the radar on the controller, glancing between the control pad screen and the TV, was one of the most genuinely scary games I've ever played, and so much of that was because of what was possible with that hardware. But I mentioned it to my current girlfriend recently, and she'd never even heard of the console. The name and lack of decent marketing just completely sunk it.

I'm trying to find a copy of Game & Wario. I enjoyed that somebody could be watching the TV while I minded my own business using the game pad. The second screen stuff Sony & Microsoft tried to introduce are obviously attempts to capitalise on what they feared would be a massive seller in the Wii U.

The Just Dance series still comes out on the original Wii. 

@gmoney the third party support dried up because of poor sales. There were a good few third party releases initially, but the terrible name led to slow sales. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Not quite just the marketing, it also hardly had any games. Outside of the main Nintendo franchises and some party games it was a thin roster. It had almost no decent 3rd party games (with a few exceptions, Zombi U included).   

True - and that is the downside of Nintendo going in different directions to everyone else with hardware, third parties just don't bother putting in the work to port to their consoles, or else when they do you end up with an inferior product with awkward tacked on features (like needless motion controls on far too many Wii games, while the first-party games used them fairly sparingly).

I'd still think the console was worth it for Zombi U, Captain Toad, Game & Wario, the Lego games (which always feel like a more natural fit on Nintendo than other consoles to me), all the usual Mario and Zelda stuff, Pikim 3 and Nintendo Land, and the beginning of Nintendo being more open to indie games, but there was a definite lack of top level games available. As someone who tends to focus on a few games for an extended period, and rarely ventures into AAA titles, it would have been perfectly suited for me, but never stood a chance against the other consoles on the market. 

What also didn't help is that Nintendo didn't really have a great relationship with a lot of suppliers at the time (if it ever has), which meant some stores simply never stocked the games, or only gave them the bare minimum of shelf space. 

The main difference this generation is that the frameworks which are used to build games are better for scalability and more widely supported across hardware types. It's easier to port to the Switch with scaled down visuals and less compromises on content (see Bethesda's DOOM/Wolfenstein releases or Mortal Kombat 11) - EA are the exception to this since they're using Frostbite for everything and also just don't seem to want to commit to the Switch as a platform. Then there are the developers who don't care and are willing out to crap out broken ports (WWE 2K19, Overwatch).

What we are seeing now as well is a lot of developers who skipped Wii U bringing their older titles to Switch (which they may as well, since Nintendo have put out most of their Wii U games out again on Switch as well), which is giving the system a fantastic catalogue of lower mainstream titles which people might have missed or didn't have time for.

• Paid Members

Indeed - or in some cases, just fancy being able to play (either for the first or second time) on the move. When a game's released on PS4 and Switch now, I do tend to weigh up whether it "feels" more like a Switch game or like something I'd be more inclined to play on the TV.

It helps that the Switch doesn't have a lot of unique tech in terms of actual gameplay. Developers working on Wii or Wii U ports seemed to feel duty-bound to tack on motion control/touch screen bits, usually to the detriment of the game. Even most of the first party Wii games barely used motion control for more than the odd feature, but all the third party ports seemed to be rendered practically unplayable in places because they had to use it.

• Paid Members

There was so muchc shovelware on the Wii.

I picked up something called 911 Operator for my Switch at the weekend (and Waku Waku 7). It's an interesting little title. It'a also on PC. You play an emergency services operator and have to dispatch the appropriate services to the people that call, but also keep an eye out for happenings in the city. Some  of the levels are based upon real life Cities.

I have to stop buying games for my Switch, I must have near 100 by now and about 90% of those I have still to put significant time into. If I could just stop defaulting to Dead Cells and Rogue Legacy when I turn it on that would help.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

I have to stop buying games for my Switch, I must have near 100 by now and about 90% of those I have still to put significant time into. If I could just stop defaulting to Dead Cells and Rogue Legacy when I turn it on that would help.

If I were to get just one of those two games, which would you recommend? Aesthetically Dead Cells looks more to my liking, but I think I would enjoy both.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Dead Cells 100%. It's a far deeper game and the gameplay loop is super satisfying. If you aren't bothered by handheld and have access to PS4/XB or a decent PC it's worth getting it on there as the frame rate is better but I play on switch and have no issues (although I'm not great at it!)

• Paid Members

I've spent a load of time on Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells equally and I honestly cannot pick my favourite. Both are brilliant and both have their pro's over the other. If Dead Cells were on Vita, then it would absolutely be my pick out of the two though.

Edited by Accident Prone