WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I tend to go digital because there isn't a decent second-hand games place near me, so aside from when I pop into CEX elsewhere and might pick something up for a fiver, I'm most likely to find cheap games in PS Store sales than in physical copies. But the internet contract I'm on is limited to a maximum usage per month, and I'm always paranoid that downloading a 40GB+ game will burn through that way too quickly, so tend to only end up downloading smaller games anyway.

The price point is the main reason I haven't ended up with more Switch games - there are plenty I want, but I struggle to justify the full price, and they never go down in price either physically or digitally.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

The price of digital copies is a complete rip off compared to physical copies and their resellability. I don't care how convenient it is when you can buy a second hand copy of a month old game for £20 compared to the digital copy costing up to 3 times as much. Especially when you can then resell it yourself when done and recoup a good portion, if not all, of the money you spent on it. That digital copy will always cost you £60 long after you've finished it and never play it again. 

I don't have enough money to be too lazy to swap a disc over. 

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation though as the only reason the digital copies are so expensive is to placate the second-hand stores. PC gaming is pretty much 100% digital and games are dirt cheap compared to consoles. 

35 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I tend to go digital because there isn't a decent second-hand games place near me, so aside from when I pop into CEX elsewhere and might pick something up for a fiver, I'm most likely to find cheap games in PS Store sales than in physical copies. But the internet contract I'm on is limited to a maximum usage per month, and I'm always paranoid that downloading a 40GB+ game will burn through that way too quickly, so tend to only end up downloading smaller games anyway.

The price point is the main reason I haven't ended up with more Switch games - there are plenty I want, but I struggle to justify the full price, and they never go down in price either physically or digitally.

There's better places than CEX to get second hand games. Facebook Marketplace and ebay for example. 

32 minutes ago, gmoney said:

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation though as the only reason the digital copies are so expensive is to placate the second-hand stores. PC gaming is pretty much 100% digital and games are dirt cheap compared to consoles. 

How is over pricing games going to solve that? Surely it's driving people to the second hand stores. 

I don't think it's the only reason, but I can see the logic being that they still need brick and mortar stores to sell the consoles, so by pricing them out on the games they risk companies going out of business, or seeing reduced store space for their consoles in favour of competitors consoles.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

How is over pricing games going to solve that? Surely it's driving people to the second hand stores. 

I was talking bollocks there. What I meant to say was that they are placating traditional retailers with high digital prices, which has the side-effect of a second hand market. 

56 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I was talking bollocks there. What I meant to say was that they are placating traditional retailers with high digital prices, which has the side-effect of a second hand market. 

Then surely the only way around that is to stop making physical copies and just go digital only.

The issue I see then is they can charge whatever they want. And they probably will.

21 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Possibly. Though they can't charge what they want, they can charge what people will pay. I'd wager people will pay less for something they then can't trade on. As I said, PC games are a lot cheaper. 

Apple charge over £1k for a phone a £300 can do. People pay it.

18 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

The days of buying games might be numbered anyway, if streaming/subscription services continue to grow.

PS Now is great value for money. £50 a year with a huge library of all types of games, and now with the ability to download some titles them rather than stream. You might not get new releases, but it's still a decent service.

• Paid Members

For AAA, or even AA, games I always buy on disc 6 or so months down the line. Most of the bugs are fixed, enough reviews are out to make an educated opinion, it's marked down in price and I can still trade it for something else later.

I finally completed RDR2 over the weekend (archaic control scheme, amazing story, not much impetus to carry on with the side quests and challenges though) so I'll be trading that in, along with Rise Of The Tomb Raider, for Outerworlds at some point this weekend. Physical copies still have those little perks.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

They then sell it on for £500 second hand. 

Even so, people still pay extortionate amount of money for things. Sony and Microsoft have already set the standard for digital console games. If they go strictly digital, there's no way they'll lower the price. 

PC games have always been cheaper, yet console gaming is still more popular. 

You could also argue that PC games are cheaper because of the frequent need to upgrade the hardware/software of your gaming PC or even the whole system. You don't have to do that with a console.