WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

17 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Why is Smash Bros so widely lauded? I got it for Christmas on Switch and have only just got around to giving it a go. I know I must be missing something, but after an hour or so playing I hate it and have no idea what I’m doing other than mashing buttons.

It’s basically “Video Games” The Game

I think it has such a massive following just because of the hundreds of game franchises that are included.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Why is Smash Bros so widely lauded? I got it for Christmas on Switch and have only just got around to giving it a go. I know I must be missing something, but after an hour or so playing I hate it and have no idea what I’m doing other than mashing buttons.

Yep, that's how it works. It's pretty boring, and hasn't changed in 20 years. I don't understand the skill in it at all. 

• Paid Members

I've seen some tournaments where it gets pretty hectic. It's one of those "easy to pick up, difficult to master" affairs. If you're just playing on the omega stages in a stock match with no weapons it can get quite technical. Moves do less damage the more you use them to try and avoid move spam. It's an interesting beast. Some of the team that worked on the last couple of Tekken games were brought in to work on the last few iterations of Smash as well after Brawl wasn't that well received. 

• Paid Members

I hated Super Smash Bothers on the Gamecube, played it twice and thought it was the most shallow, generic fighting game I'd played. Got it on the Switch for my brother last year and have to admit it's a lot more fun than I thought and there's a fair bit of depth with how you play with each character. Still not the untouchable classic some people claim it to be be though

• Paid Members

Oh no! Don't be dissing Melee. That's the pinnacle if the Smash community is to be believed. They even have a version called Project M that is based on that iteration and gets balance updates.

Smash did the biggest viewing figures at EVO last year. Especially with it going out on ESPN. I'd imagine the only reason it's not replaced Street Fighter as the last event on is because it's best suited to the viewing slot it was in. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

It’s basically “Video Games” The Game

I think it has such a massive following just because of the hundreds of game franchises that are included.

22 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Yep, that's how it works. It's pretty boring, and hasn't changed in 20 years. I don't understand the skill in it at all. 

Nope and Nope.

Firstly, it's been popular since the N64 days when there was only 12 characters and they were all first party Nintendo characters. I'd say it hit new peaks when Melee came out, which is still played at Evo yearly and has a big competition circuit; Melee only having 26 characters with none of them being 3rd party either. Admittedly now it's more of (as Sakurai put it the other day) "A celebration of video games" but it's not massive because of that, as it's been one of Nintendo's flagship games for two decades, and that's also looking to dismiss the fact it's an incredibly fun game regardless of how many franchises are in it.

Secondly, it's changed pretty much every game that's came out, whether that's entirely new mechanics, modes, tech or features, the game just keeps adding more and more and the changes can be so drastic sometimes it has people dedicated to playing older version, e.g Melee.

No offence to you Onyx, but people who call Smash boring are generally people I find have either barely played it, or have played it alone when it's a multiplayer game. If I'm wrong then I guess it's down to your personal taste. Just mashing buttons won't get you anywhere because it's a fighting game, similarly to how most fighting games work. Mashing and not learning how the game works will only get you so far, and it's shite to dismiss such a fun, content-filled and fantastic franchise because you were shit at it and never bothered to learn it.

• Paid Members

It can really be as deep or shallow as you want it to be, I think since Bandai Namco have been involved it's done a decent job of being all things to all people, especially as the cast has become more diverse. Are we at 75 characters now? Plus another 6 to come with the next season? There's pretty much a character for every playstyle, and even a game mode for most preferences as well. 

Want a frantic 8 way free for all with your mates, go for it. Want some high tension 1 on 1 where it's down to player skill, and not the stage and/or pickups then you can set that. The matchmaking online could probably do with some work, as you'll invariably end up getting matched with some tournament wannabe, but there's a lot of game there. As Fellatiolips said above, it may not be everybody's bag, but nothing really is. 

Plus it's as close to a new Capcom Vs SNK game as we look like we're going to get anytime soon. 

2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Plus it's as close to a new Capcom Vs SNK game as we look like we're going to get anytime soon. 

I crack open my PS2 to play Capcom Vs SNK 2 Mark of the Millennium 2001 from time to time, probably in my top 2 fighting games of all time with Third Strike.

• Paid Members

My mum has bought Super Smash Bros for my son's birthday next week, I'm sure it'll be a good bit of fun. There's far too many human characters for my liking though, especially the sheer amount from shitty Fire Emblem. At least there aren't a hundred Final Fantasy characters I suppose. 

Could never get into Smash Brothers either. Played it in big groups on a projector when night shifting Supercell's outsourced player support. I'm sure it has plenty of depth, but it didn't betray any of it to me and I wasn't arsed enough to get invested since everybody else was just button mashing it too. To me it's just an on screen migraine, hallowed ground or not. 

Mind you I was never a Nintendo guy growing up, and I'm sure it'd mean a lot more to me had those expansive cast of characters had the years to endear themselves to me. That goes for Nintendo as a whole, really. I can appreciate the gameplay, and again I'm soiling hallowed ground here, but none of those first party titles have ever been 'my' games, and that kills their systems for me.

People go on about the Switch being a bit of a trend breaker for Nintendo but I still don't see it having a particularly welcoming amount of titles outside your usual big boys. I can easily see it doing the usual Nintendo thing of having maybe another generation wave of sequels to their mainline titles, the units sold hitting a ceiling, and another sudden reset button being pressed where everyone again ogles at a new system with a new gimmick. "Look, it's got a Zelda!". Rinse and repeat. 

It's a pointless argument, because if you love those titles the above will mean sod all to you, but just for a bit of balance considering seemingly everyone is sold on the Switch now. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a game of Halo: Reach on the go. The textures are slightly better this time, and all! 

• Paid Members

Most consoles are sold at a loss these days and Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft look to recoup that money through game sales and their subscription services. Which is probably why first party physical Switch games are so expensive. I like the points thing they do with their store. I've got enough for a new game now. There's a wealth of indie and budget titles on the Switch digital store as well. Nintendo have played to their strength with the Switch, especially with the handheld variation.

I reckon had the Wii U been released under a different name it would have done better as it's a decent machine. Its failure also killed quite a bit of third party support for Nintendo as well, which is probably why there are so many indie/budget games one there. 

I was a Sega kid growing up, but have somehow managed to end up with most of Nintendo's consoles by now. There was some great stuff on them. I'm looking forward to not playing any of them when Animal Crossing comes out in March. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

At least there aren't a hundred Final Fantasy characters I suppose. 

Probably make it harder to wank to though.

It's just Mario Kart for fighting games isn't it? I played the Game Cube one that everyone loves but I was more a blood and tits fighting game kinda kid, (Rikishi's tits count). I feel like I should love it and some of the best gaming moments I've had as a fully  grown up man have been kicking my daughter's arses on Mario Kart but I don't feel like dropping £50 on it without trying it first.

I've persevered some more on Death Stranding and after spending what must have been 20 hours on chapter 3 I've flown through the next couple of chapters. It probably helps that I've been off work all week and needed a fix of Postmanning. I was up until 2.30am last night carrying Margaret Qualley around in a backpack whilst my shoeless feet were slowly bleeding me out. I love it, I couldn't recommend it though.