WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
On 15/08/2017 at 11:56 PM, Arch Stanton said:

I always thought WWE game publishers have missed a trick by not making a decent side-scrolling Beat 'Em Up, with WWE characters put into a cheesy storyline. WWF Betrayal for the Game Boy Colour is the only one they've ever done, to my knowledge?

There was a mode on one of the Gamecube games that was effectively a 3D beat-em up. I can't really remember what the point of it was, I just remember playing as Goldberg and beating up a load of guys on the roof of a building.

Good shout on the Arkham games, actually. That got really close to replicating that feel of melee combat. Should be more games like that!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions of games to add to my ever expanding list of things I need to play! The missus is away this weekend so I reckon I'll go and raid CEX and see what I can pick up for cheap.

Has any anyone tried Sonic Mania I'm really tempted to buy it but I don't have ÂŁ16 to spare.

Ive heard nothing but positive reviews, a game made fans for fans and much better than everything Sonic has done since the 16 bit era with the slightest glimmer of light in the very odd game since the 16 bit era.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Au said:

There was a mode on one of the Gamecube games that was effectively a 3D beat-em up. I can't really remember what the point of it was, I just remember playing as Goldberg and beating up a load of guys on the roof of a building.

Good shout on the Arkham games, actually. That got really close to replicating that feel of melee combat. Should be more games like that!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions of games to add to my ever expanding list of things I need to play! The missus is away this weekend so I reckon I'll go and raid CEX and see what I can pick up for cheap.

Was it this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCW_Backstage_Assault

Getting back to the side scrolling beat em' ups. I recently played a SOR mod that allowed you to play as Street Fighter characters. It worked really well for the most part (some characters much better than others), and it got me thinking why there was never a side scrolling Street Fighter game. Unless one does already exist and I just didn't know.

Does anyone know if that SOR Remake is downloadable and playable on any emulators that will work on the Wii Homebrew?

Thanks! The usual suspects are really cheap on Ebay (Fifa, GTA, WWE 2K) going for between 15 and 20 quid. I'll pick up one of those in a shop tomorrow so I have something to play off the bat, but fuck me , Game are such a bunch of robbing bastards, just like I remembered them to be. They want ÂŁ33 for a pre-owned copy of GTA V!

5 hours ago, jasmith85 said:

Has any anyone tried Sonic Mania I'm really tempted to buy it but I don't have ÂŁ16 to spare.

Ive heard nothing but positive reviews, a game made fans for fans and much better than everything Sonic has done since the 16 bit era with the slightest glimmer of light in the very odd game since the 16 bit era.

I brought it yesterday and it's lovingly created and remastered the levels, bosses, bonus rounds and soundtrack.

The levels have many more options than the original to go through.

Well worth ÂŁ16

4 hours ago, jasmith85 said:

The (admittedly overpriced) collector's edition arrived on Tuesday and I'll have no time to play until the end of next week. It's driving me spare.

Highest rated Sonic game in twenty years, and there's no doubt in my mind I'm going to love it. Hope it outperforms Sonic Forces commercially and forces (lol) Sega to shift their priorities in this direction for both Sonic and other IPs.

It's a lovely little game, you can tell Christian Whitehead has poured his heart into it. Just make sure to spend a little time in each level on your first playthrough, even the classic ones have been massively reworked with multiple routes.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Getting back to the side scrolling beat em' ups. I recently played a SOR mod that allowed you to play as Street Fighter characters. It worked really well for the most part (some characters much better than others), and it got me thinking why there was never a side scrolling Street Fighter game. Unless one does already exist and I just didn't know.

Does anyone know if that SOR Remake is downloadable and playable on any emulators that will work on the Wii Homebrew?

Final Fight was actually first envisioned as a side-scrolling sequel to the original Street Fighter. There was a weird Street Fighter game on the NES that bore no relation to any of the rest of the series, though I think that was more of a platformer than a side-scroller.

As for Sonic Mania, I'm really enjoying it, you can tell it's a labour of love. The level design is so intricate as to be fiendish in places, and there's some really neat new touches. No spoilers, but there's a boss fight early on that had me grinning from ear to ear.

There's a few things I could do without; there's a boss fight or two where it's not really apparent at first what it is you're meant to be doing, and I think some of the level design leans a little too heavily on the Sonic 2 "fire Sonic all over the level at high speeds" approach where you actually have no control whatsoever, which is part of Sonic, but never to the extent it is here. Also, the Sonic 3 "collect all the blue spheres" special stages and their slightly wonky controls can fuck right off. Mostly because I'm shit at them.