WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

More of a random thought than views on what I'm currently playing but I was feeling under the weather for a couple of days so spent them playing some retro games and something occurred to me; whatever happened to the side-scrolling beat em up?

A lot of my favourite games as a kid fell into that genre; Streets Of Rage, Final Fight, the Turtles games, etc.

The closest I can think of in the modern era is something like Dynasty Warriors. Maybe Assasins Creed, too. I played DW3 and 4 loads on PS2 but haven't kept up with it in years.

I thought it was weird that Koei haven't licenced the engine out to other developers to make different genre games based on that format but looking into it now and there has recently been a One Piece game released using the engine so at least someone else had the idea of doing it.

I miss that feeling of single handedly taking on wave after wave of enemies and it's surprising there isn't really a modern day equivalent.

a new Turtles or SOR game that could replicate that feeling using modern tech would be great.

I'd say spectacle fighters took over that spot during the PS2 era, your Devil May Crys and Gods Of War became the beat 'em up genre of the generation and they stuck. There's Dragons Crown on the PS3 if you want a great modern attempt at the original genre, beautiful hand drawn 2D graphics that prove that not everything has to be ultra realistic 3D.

For a retro feel there's Double Dragon Neon or the unofficial Streets of Rage Remake, but you're right that there isn't much in terms of modern-style games in that genre. The Warriors was very good on PS2/Xbox/PSP, and can be downloaded on last gen consoles at least.

Have you played the Yakuza games? The fights are intermittent but when they occur they do rather feel like a 3D Streets of Rage. You just don't get that "wave after wave" feeling beyond very specific parts of the game.

• Paid Members

I've been meaning to pick up a Yakuza game after one of them (0, I think) was discussed earlier in this thread.

I'll make sure that's what I get next time I want to buy something! Thanks for the heads up.

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Sleeping Dogs was a GTA V killer in my opinion, it didn't have the sheer scope but it had a much more likable character and a stupidly fun story. And yeah that combat was fun, especially when you used all the gimmicks surrounding you.

Haha, yeah, much fun was had backing away from a gang so you could get them close to a fish tank.

If you're wanting something like Dynasty Warriors, there's Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U. It's the gameplay of Dynasty Warriors crossed with characters and locations from a bunch of Legend Of Zelda games. It's a pretty phenomenal game, and a massive shame that it's been pretty much ignored since its release due to the system it was released for. Don't bother with the shitty 3DS version though.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Au said:

More of a random thought than views on what I'm currently playing but I was feeling under the weather for a couple of days so spent them playing some retro games and something occurred to me; whatever happened to the side-scrolling beat em up?

A lot of my favourite games as a kid fell into that genre; Streets Of Rage, Final Fight, the Turtles games, etc.

The closest I can think of in the modern era is something like Dynasty Warriors. Maybe Assasins Creed, too. I played DW3 and 4 loads on PS2 but haven't kept up with it in years.

I thought it was weird that Koei haven't licenced the engine out to other developers to make different genre games based on that format but looking into it now and there has recently been a One Piece game released using the engine so at least someone else had the idea of doing it.

I miss that feeling of single handedly taking on wave after wave of enemies and it's surprising there isn't really a modern day equivalent.

a new Turtles or SOR game that could replicate that feeling using modern tech would be great.

I'd say the Arkham series of Batman games were pretty close to bringing that genre up to date, with loads of melee fights against whole bunches of bad guys at a time. Never played any of them, but there have been a few TMNT games in recent years that looked like the same sort of thing.

I always thought WWE game publishers have missed a trick by not making a decent side-scrolling Beat 'Em Up, with WWE characters put into a cheesy storyline. WWF Betrayal for the Game Boy Colour is the only one they've ever done, to my knowledge?