WWE Global Cruiserweight Series

Chris Brooker

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hoho Lun is absolute shite, isn't he? Really skinny (even by the standards of this tournament), horrible pleather shorts and t-shirt look, wasn't impressive in the ring and couldn't pop or work the crowd. This must be one of Trips' Dong Fhazou 'let's try and get in with the Chinese' plans. Dhavari was MUCH better, by miles. Much more polished.

Really enjoyed the rest of it.. Love the look of Metalik (Mascara Dorada, right?), Cedric Alexander was impressive and the main event was very good. I like Ibushi already. Good start! Has quite the old J-Cup feel to it, what with the handshakes and the fact the latter rounds will be face-heavy.

• Paid Members

I'm as big a fan of stock music themes as you'll find, but I can't help think everyone in this should be coming out to the same tournament theme. Something with horns. Would suit the presentation they're going with, IMO.

• Paid Members

I'm as big a fan of stock music themes as you'll find, but I can't help think everyone in this should be coming out to the same tournament theme. Something with horns. Would suit the presentation they're going with, IMO.

Normally I'd totally agree and it would fit the Pride style ( the the pre fight ref talk and fighter parade) but they are pushing the international feel of it and are using the music / entrance flags to get that over. Obviously it works better for some than others.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed the show. Different in presentation with the UFC style ref introductions and hand raising and the ROH handshake spot. The commentary team were very good considering Bryan's inexperience. They were clearly trying overly hard to get everything over but compared to the main shows, this was a breath of fresh air.

Thought Saez was pretty rubbish. Really forced heel mannerisms. Decent action but I wouldn't have sent this out first. Metalik looked smooth, be interesting to see him again.

Agree with Punky on Ho Lun. He was a bit of a shitarse. Daivari looked really good and got a bit of heat. Surprised he lost.

Petoit and Alexander both looked good. Shame one had to lose. Alexander was really fun and his entrance music made him seem a bigger star than the others.

Main was really fun and Ibushi impressed. Maluda was good too though.

With a tad more foresight, the winner of this should have got a Cruiserweight title belt and transitioned it to NXT or Smackdown.

If this is a yearly thing, will the competitors next year be very much the same as this year? 

I understand there's thousands of cruiserweights across the world they can choose from but if they want the best of the best like they're pushing, would so many changes be credible? If these are the best 32 this year, would say 20-25 others become the best in a 12 month space?

Spoilers from the second round, taped last night. Some really great matches by all accounts.

Gran Metalik beat Tajiri in a 'really good' match.
Kota Ibushi beat Cedric Alexander in an 'awesome' awesome' match. HHH apparently came out and patted Cedric on the back after the match.
Akira Tozawa beat Jack Gallagher.
Noam Dar beat Ho Ho Lun
Brian Kendrick beat Tony Nese
Rich Swann beat Lince Dorado
Zack Sabre Jr beat Drew Gulak in an 'awesome technical match'
TJ Perkins beat Johnny Gargano

So that means the semi final matches are....

Gran Metalik v Akira Tozawa
Noam Dar v Zack Sabre Jr
Kota Ibushi v Brian Kendrick
TJ Perkins v Rich Swann

• Awards Moderator

The smallest thing, but I loved the Street Fighter style animations, along with the LEGIT SPORT presentation. Gave it such a different flavour.

06oSsi0.png

AOLd8Wu.png

So that means the semi final matches are....

Noam Dar v Zack Sabre Jr

TJ Perkins v Rich Swann

Wouldn't those be the quarter final matches?

• Paid Members

The smallest thing, but I loved the Street Fighter style animations, along with the LEGIT SPORT presentation. Gave it such a different flavour.

Yes, what I didn't like though was the 'control centre' where Corey Graves was standing. Looked like really shit 90s graphics! And not even in a good nostalgic way!

Yes DJM, quarter finals

Noam Dar v Zack Sabre Jr

TJ Perkins v Rich Swann

I'm going with ZSJ beating Metalik in the semis, and Ibushu beating Swann in the other with ZSJ to beat Ibushi in the final. As soon as the participants were announced you could see this was going to be the final

I liked the presentation, it was very different to WWE's other shows. The wrestling itself was a mixed bag. I thought Alexander looked great, I could see him being a good fit for NXT. That was the best match by far. Gran Metalik was cool but Ho Ho Lun was the absolute pits. Poor offense, awful selling, terrible reactions, shit ring gear (Kick Off 2016?). Hopefully Noam Dar knocks him out next round! Best thing was not knowing most of the wrestlers and trying to judge whether they would be any good by their video packages/entrances.

I don't watch Smackdown or the Pre-Shows so Mauro was new to me. Thought he did a good job and is a bit different to the other announcers. Bryan did a good job considering it was his first time although as others have mentioned he has some things to work on. Still, I think if he wants it he could be a huge asset in that role.

I was shocked Daivari didn’t win, he looked much more accomplished than his opponent and drew some decent heat, whilst being the brother of a superstar fans will remember gives him a head start if they were planning to do anything with him on TV in the future. Really strange.

Archived