UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're awful. Just awful.

And you're right, my posting on an Internet message forum does negate whatever modest knowledge I may have.

But, seeing as all but the most neanderthal of neanderthals accept that tapping, and being humble and understanding and being able to put into perspective defeat, is part of being a martial artist, I think I'll stick with my opinions.

And for what it's worth, Holms flapping prior to going nighty night suggests she probably tried to tap but the switch went off quite quick.

There's no nobility in being put to sleep. You've been beaten, everyone knows it. Accept it and move on to bigger and better things.

Or be a meathead. One of the two.

Where am I awful? Because I said he tapped out like a bitch, because he tapped so quickly? What about the positive things I said about him? Easy to just quote the negative.

Where did I say he shouldn't have tapped? You can stick with whatever opinion your mind wants you to come up with, that is your prerogative.

You mean being humble after being so unhumble beforehand?

The only excuse for this is either you're new to MMA or you're an idiot.

Humble and the not humble? He's a character that behaves in a way that draws money. It's an exaggerated version of himself. If a couple more people in different weight classes behaved like him then MMA would be far more popular than it is.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Right. So to be a true champion, whatever the fuck that means, Conor should have tried to get out, despite knowing he was fucked and wasn't getting out, most likely to the point of unconsciousness. Brilliant.

'Tapping like a little bitch' in itself suggests he shouldn't have tapped, and you said Holly went out like how a true champion should which in itself outright demands that he shouldn't have tapped and should have gone out.

You've said something daft, everyone said as much. Live with it.

He tapped. No biggy.

GSP tapped to strikes and he's the definition of what an MMA champion should be.

He tapped very quickly, that is my point.

I got to live with it why, because you say so? Others can have their opinion, whether I agree or not is irrelevant. I wouldn't expect most on here to agree with it.

I agree about GSP, he never ran his mouth, he did what he needed to do, avenged his losses and retired out on top. Tapping like a bitch early didn't make him any less of a champion because of how he redeemed himself.

• Paid Members

Holly Holm didn't, "go out like a true champion." If you look at her arms just before she goes unconscious she is clearly trying to tap out, but her brain is shutting off. There wasn't some noble refusal to tap (and the idea that such a thing would be noble seems insanely antiquated), she simply left it too late before tapping, meaning the best she could do was jolt about as her lights went out.

She did not tap out, that's all I said. Its not about being noble not to tap, but there is tapping and tapping very quickly. It doesn't matter though, he tried, he lost and there is always the next time, whether against another opponent or the guy who made him tap.
You said that unlike Conor, the way Holly lost was how a champion goes out. What's the difference? Why is falling unconscious when you try and tap because you've left it too long any more impressive than tapping when you realise you aren't getting out? Why does that make you a champion?

Because he tapped out so quick he didn't give himself any sort of chance of getting out of it. 

When a choke is on, it's on. You'd know that you've ever been in one - there is a point of no return and then it's literally 3-5 seconds before you're gone. Tapping is smart if there is no way out. Intentionally going unconscious is retarded.

THIS is a choke that is locked on - there is no "tapping too quick" when you feel this:

vlcsnap-2016-03-06-22h22m20s013.png

Yes he tapped. Yes he got himself into that position. Yes he gassed too quick. But he didn't tap too quick.

Nathan Leverton, a great man and my first jiu-jitsu coach, once made the point that a rear naked escape should be an instinct and done immediately. If you think about escaping, it's already too late, you missed your chance.

Once your chin has been raised and their arms against your neck, it's over.

In many ways, the backlash today would have been far worst if the final image was a limp McGregor being hauled out. He wouldn't have had the chance to show that actually, when there's nothing to sell, he's classy and gets it. It would have been a much more damaging loss if he'd have gone out on his sword.

Gooner - A problem here is the language you are using. It puts forward faulty logic. 

Saying someone is "like a bitch" for tapping is a bit daft. For reasons established - in the unfortunate context he found himself in - it was the clever thing to do. The quickness of the tap is more of a credit to Nate Diaz's ability to close fights. As Herbie said - "when a choke is on, it's on"

• Paid Members

So yeah, shit late-90s opinions on tapping aside, here's the MMA Fighting Post-Fight Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=2CNLKjBFPq8

I think Meltzer, other than being his usual, awkward Meltzer self makes an excellent point about this win not only doing wonders for Nate, but Nick as well. The amount of people who watched this show is likely to be huge and that type of performance, particularly that post-fight promo (motherfuckers!), will likely raise the stock of the Diaz Brothers immensely.

They've been cult heroes forever, but this now has the chance to take them to a whole other level. They've always had the characters and fighting ability, more people just needed to see and know about these crazy bird-flipping street punks. They're genuinely some of the best characters in all of entertainment. It's unbelievable that they're real people.

I just hope they don't get busted for weed or fuck off for years to spend their cash in the near future. What's unfortunate is that I expect both to happen. They truly are their own worst enemies. When do drug test failures usually come out? The following week? A fortnight? I'm expecting the worst from Nate's piss.

• Paid Members

To whoever mentioned the possibility of Robbie Lawler vs Nate Diaz, I think it was Bifkin, they haven't fought before although Nick knocked out Lawler in a great fight back in 2004. Anyway, here's Nate Diaz talking to Jonathan Coachman, Chael Sonnen and his mate Giblert after the fight;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=n8BLsyezpOM

They touch on a potential fight with Lawler there, Nate seems up for anything.

The same panel had Dana on and, while Dana shot down any talk that GSP vs McGregor was ever on the cards, he did confirm that they have talked to GSP about UFC 200. Chael asked him flat out.

Chael: Georges St Pierre was in the front row. I have not seen GSP at a fight in three years. Why was he here?

Dana: Georges wanted to come tonight. He was in great spirits and seemed like he had a great time. We'll see what happens.

Chael: The rumour is that, should Conor have won...

Dana: That's not true.

Chael: Do we at least have a conversation going with Georges for UFC 200?

Dana: Yes.

Chael: Awesome! I'll leave it at that.

Dana's already said that when he asked what Nate wanted to do next all he said was 'I'm gonna buy a yacht, yo' and he's not sure how long it'll be before we see him again.

Zero fucks given.

He could turn it up and be a superstar, and instead he just wants to get high and nail broads on his yacht (which you know he'll paint 209 on the side of). What a man.

To say he tapped too quickly or obsurdly 'like a bitch' shows a clear lack of experience yourself in that experience.

Anyone who's had even the slightest jiu-jitsu training knows when a RNC is locked in that tight (by a legit black belt no less), you just aren't getting out - no matter how much you try to squirm. In that situation, a 'quick' tap is more admirable and smarter than going out on your sword. Any situation that stops you going unconscious when you have a choice is to be praised if anything, not to mention more conducive to your short-term & long-term health.

• Paid Members

just caught up after mother's day stuffs...

What a pair of mental fights to end the night. The main card up until then was pretty stale after a good set of prelims, but it's one of those nights where it's always gonna be remembered for those last two fights, or primarily the Conor loss.

The biggest thing to take away from the Conor thing for me is that he was clearly fighting with the self-belief that he simply couldn't be hurt, Conor spoke how featherweights couldn't hurt him, and going in against a guy in Nate who doesn't throw power shots Conor was simply to confident to stand in front of Nate and not seem the least bit concerned about defence. Conor was clearly winning the fight up until the the final flurry and was doing so in typical fashion, but history proves that it just isn't wise to stand and trade shots with a Diaz. Conor's in and out movement was non-existent, he stood flat and just threw his hands with the odd kick chucked in, the range seemed an issue at times but he still landed lots of clean hard shots. Nate took his licks and fired back when he could, he clipped Conor and just took over, once either Nick or Nate has a man hurt they usually finish. Amazing turn of events.

It's a reality check for Conor though, i know the confidence and schtick is all apart of the show but he seemed too confident and relaxed to me, wonder if he reigns it in a little next time out. I'm a fan of both guys so i wasn't really gutted to see Conor lose in one regard, but from a pure entertainment perspective i hoped the train rolled on.

So much for the stuck in the mud division.

Meisha Tate though :blink: i had her needed to win the last round to secure a draw and until she dragged Holly to the ground she was losing the round, incredible come from behind victory. Other than round 2 i thought Holly looked good again though, it wasn't spectacular but given the style of matchup she was winning comfortably without taking major risks. If Meisha had missed that final shot, she was losing. Dunno how that effects things going forward. The Ronda return is massive no matter who she fights, the Holm fight had the revenge angle, but a 3rd fight with Meisha just re-ignites that feud, it's a win/win really.

Archived