UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

If people haven't seen Conor on the post-fight press conference or listened to his coach John Kavanagh on this week's MMA Hour then I recommend both. The way they've reacted to this loss has been exemplary.

Most fighters with that type of hype would probably shy away from press conferences or interviews after a loss. Just look at how Ronda vanished for months, and even now her handlers are telling journalists not to ask her any questions about MMA. These guys are the complete opposite. They've no problem talking openly and honestly about what went wrong and where they need to make adjustments. It's super refreshing.

It's fascinating how their approach to losing has completely changed the narrative, too. After Ronda disappeared the story was about this bitchy girl who finally got what was coming to her. Given his antics a similar thing should have happened to Conor. He and his team being so humble has completely flipped the script though. Almost all of the articles I'm seeing are portraying him as this hero who's been willing to fight anyone at any weight in order to make these big shows exciting for the fans, and this was the one time when Icarus flew too close to the sun, but all for our entertainment.

I met up with a big group of friends last night consisting of a lot of new fans and the discussion all seemed positive regarding how Conor had taken the loss as well. I really think this could be the best thing to happen to his career. It seems like a lot of people who don't understand fight promotion were suckered in by his, "heel," persona and disliked him for it, whereas now he seems a lot more human and likeable.

There's no doubt he'll have to adapt his schtick, the unbeatable angle won't work anymore, but he's proven particularly in the build up to this fight that he's got the ability and wit to sell fights in tonnes of different ways.

Far from the ride being over, I think there's going to be more interest in his next fight than any of them so far. I just hope Edgar doesn't win with the Sharpshooter.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I was round my wee brothers house on Saturday and his mates were going on about McGregor being genuinely mental and a cunt. They didn't know how to react when I told them it's clearly all show to hype him and his fights.

Anyway, humble McGregor is part of that grand character development we always go on about.

Personally, I hope it's true. 

Aye, me too. 

On a similar note, I found this quote from Mayweather to be interesting. This is from Yahoo Sports;

"I don’t have no plans in getting involved as far as competing physical in MMA, but I do look forward to getting fighters and doing MMA fights in the future. And I’m talking about 2016.”

Personally, I hope it's true. 

Aye, me too. 

On a similar note, I found this quote from Mayweather to be interesting. This is from Yahoo Sports;

"I don’t have no plans in getting involved as far as competing physical in MMA, but I do look forward to getting fighters and doing MMA fights in the future. And I’m talking about 2016.”

What do we reckon he means by that? Promoting MMA fights? Floyd's good pals with Chris Weidman from what I recall and probably is with a few others to. Definitely could see him moving into that market. Right now MMA's doing great business from taking the physical aspect of boxing and the drama and build of pro-wrestling. Attach Floyd's name to it and it'd probably do really well for him if promoted right, still far to many people I think who can't get behind MMA for silly reasons or it's comparisons to boxing. 

• Paid Members

If he does get involved, he's probably the one non-MMA name who could actually put the shitters up the UFC a bit. He's got the cash, he'll have the backers, and he's got the name to attract some decent talent.

I just can't see it ever happening. I know Mayweather has a good chunk of cash, but if a Viacom (worth $25bn) backed Bellator can't derail the UFC, then how could a Mayweather promotion?

• Paid Members

Yep, i call bullshit on that. No doubt 99% of people who read that go out and spread the word though. It's the same people who believed that a Ronda/Mayweather fight may actually happen, likewise McGregor/Mayweather.

Archived