UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If he does get involved, he's probably the one non-MMA name who could actually put the shitters up the UFC a bit. He's got the cash, he'll have the backers, and he's got the name to attract some decent talent.

I just can't see it ever happening. I know Mayweather has a good chunk of cash, but if a Viacom (worth $25bn) backed Bellator can't derail the UFC, then how could a Mayweather promotion?

Because he's Floyd Mayweather? That name alone will draw eyeballs to any promotion. Who knows Bellator, much less Viacom? And sure, Viacom are worth $25 billion, but how much are they investing in Bellator?

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyone decent is signed to the UFC though. Unless there's a mass migration of talent, isn't any other promotion always going to look second best? Huge budget or not.

Anyone decent is signed to the UFC though. Unless there's a mass migration of talent, isn't any other promotion always going to look second best? Huge budget or not.

Younger talent coming up though? You can't tell me that you believe someone like Mayweather won't have pull for some young kids in the US as opposed to Bellator?

• Paid Members

Younger talent coming up though? You can't tell me that you believe someone like Mayweather won't have pull for some young kids in the US as opposed to Bellator?

It's the step from them being younger unknown talent to legit main event stars that will draw eyes away from the UFC though. That's the step that I can't see being possible. The UFC is just too established.

If Bellator, with their mix of throwback talent, bigger ex-UFC guys and promising under card can't do it ... I don't see how anyone could.

• Paid Members

It probably would, Mayweather's boxers aren't exactly busting down doors promotionally though, the biggest named fighter in his stable is probably J'leon Love. He does seem to want to build guys from scratch though, id love to see him through his hat in the MMA game.

If UFC could it'd be wise to create some deal with him.

I know someone mentioned a feeder promotion for youth talent a while back, it kinda got shot down as an idea, but a Floyd Maywhether/UFC cross over promotion for youth talent would be smart and could work. Have an age cut off point of 24 or something like that. And if someone's still got the title it has to be vacated and they move onto the UFC. Or if someone goes on like a 6 fight win-streak they vacate and move up.

Stick Floyd, Someone like Bisping and Anik on commentary to attract a wider audience and such. Plus Floyd would have a good insight if he was involved in training. And maybe try get the UFC to book a main event with veterans like they've been doing with there fight pass prelims for the first few shows to get people hooked. Yeah it'd kinda go against the youth feeder idea for a bit but you need a hook. Then once eyeballs are on the shows and people know who's who and that you probably wouldn't need it.

it's the sort of thing Fight Pass would be perfect for, the UFC basically airs feeder promotions through that now thought with Titan and the like.

True, although seeing as I personally know few of the Fighters on those cards I won't go out of my way to watch those shows. Plus there's loads of them like one minimum nearly every week. The idea of it being a floyd/ufc Co promoted thing would spark my interest and I'm sure others in a similar boat to me.

Dana has claimed this did 1.5 million PPV buys. The second highest in UFC history.

If true, that is serious box office, and it's possible to argue that McGregor is the biggest PPV draw in UFC history. Lesnar and Mir drew 1.6 million with the anniversary occasion, GSP defending his belt, and a grudge match pitting Hendo vs Bisping. While McGregor did have a well-known opponent and a strong co-main event lead-in, it pales in comparison.

Even with McGregor losing and Rousey's absence - UFC 200 could be a monster. 

• Paid Members

I knew it was going to be huge when Leo D gave up a couple of hours of models and burgers to watch McGregor and co. Interesting to see how the next McGregor one does after the loss, as a way to gauge how a such a thing can hurt a draw. I'm sure he'll do fine.

Dana has claimed this did 1.5 million PPV buys. The second highest in UFC history.

If true, that is serious box office, and it's possible to argue that McGregor is the biggest PPV draw in UFC history. Lesnar and Mir drew 1.6 million with the anniversary occasion, GSP defending his belt, and a grudge match pitting Hendo vs Bisping. While McGregor did have a well-known opponent and a strong co-main event lead-in, it pales in comparison.

Even with McGregor losing and Rousey's absence - UFC 200 could be a monster. 

It'd be interesting to see based on that what the UK ratings peak for the Aldo fight was. I'm gonna try and find out. 

The Mendez fight reportedly did 825,000 buys in the US. Aldo 1.2 mill. Then this has done 1.5 mill. I'd have kinda figured with the prominence of McGregor in the media over here for this fight it'd have done better than the Aldo fight on TV. But doesn't appear to have done so. Unless loads of people clocked the time for this one and got up at 5AM

UK TV ratings: Left hand column is for live. Right incorporates the replay total over 28 days of broadcast.

efnpx.jpg

Archived